At launch expectations

@Muskrat: I disagree that a shortcut (I'm assuming you mean key combo) isn't necessary. If I'm in windowed mode, I would just like to cmd-f into full screen without thinking about it and having to hunt down a menu item.

This reminds me that I think that if a person hits esc in full screen, if you don't have an escape menu overlay, then it should by default dump the user out of full screen.

@reubert: Whether or not it doesn't make intrinsic sense to play an fps in windowed mode doesn't matter to me. To me it's all about letting the player have all the control. I think they'd be happier being able to do it, whether or not they use it. Besides, it's not like it's very hard to implement. As an example, I thought it was a great touch that Halo could be played in a window with a captured mouse, even though I never used the feature, other than to try it out once. Just change the window title to something like "Press Cmd-m to release the mouse" so they know what to do if they want their mouse back! Then something like "Click in window to capture mouse".

@backslash: I agree that being able to cmd-h immediately out of full screen into a paused and hiding state is essential to good behavior.

I also agree that cmd-q always needs to respond. But I do understand the importance of at least asking the user if they want to save first. That is standard app behavior anyway. Insisting that the user quit from the in-game menu is definitely not cool though.

On a related note: If a game doesn't have an in-game dialog for saving (IOW, the developer wants to use the native OS for GUI), I think it's okay to switch to windowed mode briefly to put up a standard OS dialog to perform the save operation, but then switch back into full screen mode. During quit, the same thing would apply. If the user canceled quitting though, it should switch back into full screen and resume as it was.

Which brings up another point. Pangea did this with its games (briefly switching to the OS to save), but I didn't like the fact that it didn't switch back to the previous resolution during the save, and thus the save dialog could be huge. I think that when doing this, it should release the displays for saving and then recapture them when switching back into the game.
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Since no one mentioned it: Option-Return is pretty common in the games I play (which all seem be Unreal Engine based) both on Windows and Mac.
option return is also the command to exit fullscreen mode in parallels and vmware
That's a weird combo. What do they usually do on Windows?
It would be alt enter on windows, which I don't think does anything in the OS not sure about specific applications though. On that note option + command releases the mouse from a window to the entire OS in the emulation world as well. This may be applicable to gaming which is why I mention it, but I am not a big fan of capturing the mouse anyways.
kodex Wrote:It would be alt enter on windows, which I don't think does anything in the OS not sure about specific applications though.
Aha! So thus the option-return on Mac... I get it. So does that mean that if it's SOP on Windows we should translate it to Mac since presumably more people would be familiar with that, or should we prefer cmd-f or cmd-m? I'm still partial to cmd-f (or cmd-shift-f if find is being used)... Do we have any remote notion of consensus here? ... I think not, but it's worth asking I suppose. Maybe a poll would make sense on the key combo.

Quote:On that note option + command releases the mouse from a window to the entire OS in the emulation world as well. This may be applicable to gaming which is why I mention it, but I am not a big fan of capturing the mouse anyways.
I'm not either, but there isn't any other way to do mouse movement in windowed mode for an FPS, so I've come to accept it as a necessary evil in that situation, and only that situation. And even then I'm grudging about it, but I just can't see any other way...

If option-cmd is standard in the emulation world then maybe that's generally good for games too.
Why chose one when you can put... all of them!

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:Why chose one when you can put... all of them!

For full screen that'd be fine with me! Except that Cocoa only likes one command key combo for any given command. It can still be done through sendEvent though.

For mouse capturing, there would still be the issue of what message to display in the window title bar since you can't tell them everything that will work in that space.
⌘-R in Chief
I'm an option-return fan, but that's because I've been using it since forever. Honestly, whatever you do won't matter. Everyone does it different so you picking to be like one guy is no different than picking to be like the other guy. Smile
Seth, you are clearly not a type-A personality (like myself), and that is a *good* thing. Smile
I've always used command-F, and I don't remember getting any complaints about it. QuickTime Player and DVD Player use it, so that's standard enough for me. (DVD Player used command-0 of all things on Tiger, though...)