Networking Minicontest "Voting"

Well, the networking minicontest has concluded with four entries. Go ahead and vote for your favorite if you wish. Here are the entries in order of their posting:

Go ahead and use the "totally fair and secure" ;-) forum poll voting in this thread to cast your vote.

Cheers,
-Jon
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
The list of prizes (consolidated from the other thread) :

1st Place:

Parallels 3.0 Serial Number (Corun)
License for Chopper, iSight Screensavers and FluidNoise (reubert)
FileCarver License (Myrdred)
Copy of MonsterText 2.0 when released (Hairball183)

2nd Place:

Screenflick License (FreakSoftware)

3rd Place:

Last Place:

Copy of MonsterText 2.0 when released (Hairball183)
I'd have to say MegaUltraTetris wins, While DualForceTeamTankAttack comes in a close second.
Tetris wins because "It's a fun classic".
DFTTA comes second because "It's hard to setup, but "[I}it has potential[/i]".
Couldn't play MChess, so my voting may be "A bit unfair".
Overwhelmed Online. Has potential, but needs a better steering system.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Hairball183 Wrote:Overwhelmed Online. Has potential, but needs a better steering system.
Eh? Those are very classic/proven movement controls used in many games. Could you elaborate, please?

Cheers,
-Jon
Hairball183 Wrote:Couldn't play MChess, so my voting may be "A bit unfair".

Could you elaborate? :-)

Also, can I vote for myself? :-D

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - In memory of Douglas Adams.
My Site
I was really impressed with all the entries, my quick review of each follows:

MChess - definitely a fun little game. It captures the turn based strategy gameplay of chess and puts a new spin on it. You've got to plan out each move and set up various combinations and multi-pronged attacks, just like chess. There were a few polish items that came up, mostly figuring out which player is which color and whose turn it is. Like chess, it's a slow paced game with lots of waitng, compounded heavily by the fact I was waiting on three people and not one. Maybe MChess 2 will have concurrent turns? ;D

OverWhelmed Online - I was pretty impressed with this entry, it's good looking and has fast paced network play. The UI for managing connections is a lot nicer than Dual Force Team Tank Attack. There's not much to do in the game, but it's got a parallax star field and nice 3D models ;D

Mega Ultra Tetris 20XX - It's a pretty standard game concept, but Seth did it simply and really well. The game looks good and plays as it should.

Dual Force Team Tank Attack - What an awesome name!!! (not really Rasp ) The foundation is there for a cool game- but it was mostly an experiment for us. I kind of wonder if two people in one tank would make for a fun game.... With powerups and varied weapons (primary and alternate) for the turret player, it might be more fun. Some intelligent enemies and more than one type of enemy would help too. The UI is clearly lacking, but it's a 24 hour game, so it doesn't matter.. right? ;D

One thing we wanted that we didn't get a chance to add was a swap key- where the driver and the gunner would switch seats.

We'll probably do something similar in this vein at sometime soon.. but we want to focus on cooperation and teamwork. We want to create incentives for the players to work together, by allowing them to achieve more together. Sticking two people in the same tank is the easy way to do that.
AndyKorth Wrote:There were a few polish items that came up, mostly figuring out which player is which color and whose turn it is.

I added a "It's XYZ's turn" at the last minute, btw :-P (XYZ is the colour of whoever's turn it is, too).

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - In memory of Douglas Adams.
My Site
Sage
What's up with everyone voting for their own game? That is entirely lame.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Skorche Wrote:What's up with everyone voting for their own game? That is entirely lame.
Why? It's all for fun and if this community wasn't dead/dying then it wouldn't even be significant due to a reasonable vote count. edit: It doesn't look like you even voted!

-Jon
Unfortunately, Dual Force Team Tank Attack crashes immediately for me, without the console showing anything of interest. I voted for MChess. Smile

How did the latter entries do the server lists?
Sage
Yeah, I can't leave a server running on dreamhost, and we just let it die if it can't make a connection.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
aarku Wrote:Eh? Those are very classic/proven movement controls used in many games. Could you elaborate, please?

Cheers,
-Jon

The controls are great. I was referring to movement though. I don't really like the "You're on a string" feel. But this is my personal opinion.

Corun Wrote:Could you elaborate? :-)

Also, can I vote for myself? :-D

I don't see why not.

After(Mad) I posted, I figured out you could play with the HUD up, so that was kind of nice, but I would like it better if you could make the HUD vanish and play by yourself.

_ibd_ Wrote:Unfortunately, Dual Force Team Tank Attack crashes immediately for me, without the console showing anything of interest. I voted for MChess. Smile

I had the same problem; what you have to do is:

1a. Open up the hostname.txt file and change it from slembcke.net to localhost.

1b. Open up terminal and cd to the DFTTA directory.

2. type: ruby server/server.rb

3. Make a copy of the DFTTA directory.

4. Do step 2 on the copy of DFTTA.

Double click both apps. YMMV.

- Lincoln Green
aarku Wrote:Why? It's all for fun and if this community wasn't dead/dying then it wouldn't even be significant due to a reasonable vote count. edit: It doesn't look like you even voted!

-Jon

Not to mention everyone wants to win a Screenflick and Chopper license.Wink

- Lincoln Green
Hairball183 Wrote:The controls are great. I was referring to movement though. I don't really like the "You're on a string" feel. But this is my personal opinion.
Hey, no, I really want to hear your personal opinion! I just don't yet understand what you mean. Do you mean that you don't like that you're constricted to two dimensions? Expand on that "You're on a string" part. Smile

-Jon
⌘-R in Chief
I think he means the being in space part... That it's space ship physics and not car physics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDG08 Voting Results and Methods AnotherJake 111 46,112 Mar 20, 2009 05:15 PM
Last Post: pinguoren
  uDG voting DoG 11 5,564 Mar 7, 2009 09:57 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Questions regarding voting? FlamingHairball 20 8,807 Mar 6, 2009 10:00 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  How will public voting work? pinguoren 7 4,862 Mar 2, 2009 11:22 AM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Networking Weekend Minicontest aarku 30 11,186 May 10, 2008 08:13 AM