Users/Shared

Oldtimer
I've recently recieved a crash report on Galder when creating the high score file. I want to share high scores and registration status across all local users, so I naïvely put them in /Library, but it turns out that it's possible to not have write access there. I've scouted around for something to replace it, and found /Users/Shared.

What's the status on this? Is it always in place on fresh systems? Usually writeable? Generally wise to use? Any other globally writeable directory?

Thanks,
Quote this message in a reply
I've had it on every single OS X install I've done, ranging from 10.1 to 10.3.7 to 10.3.9 to 10.4 to 10.4.4 to 10.4.6 to 10.4.10 to 10.5.

And yes, they were all clean installs except for 10.3.9.

I can't tell you how wise to use, as I am obviously a relatively old newbie to programming, but GarageBand writes it's demo songs to that folder, so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

- LG

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Blizzard puts their preferences there. I imagine they know what they're doing.
Oldtimer
Excellent! Thanks for the input, I'll go that route.
Luminary
Yes, it always exists, and should always be writable (but remember to fail gracefully if it's not Wink )
Yeah, something like Matt Gemmels error would be nice,

KABOOM

Not to worry you or anything, but this app just went straight to hell in a handbasket.

Don't show this message again.

Rasp

-LG

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
DoG
There was a lengthy discussion about how to handle multi-user prefs / high score sharing on the mac-games-dev list a few months back. Suffice to say no concensus was reached.
Seems to me that Shared would be a fine place to put them. You might even create a Preferences directory in there so it'd be Users/Shared/Preferences/mygameprefs.plist. A path like that is pretty self-descriptive as to why it's there.
I wonder what may happen if I were to create a new user account named "Shared"... Sneaky
PowerMacX Wrote:I wonder what may happen if I were to create a new user account named "Shared"... Sneaky

So, what happens?
I don't have Time Machine (still on Tiger) so I'd rather let someone else try... Wink

Also, shouldn't the preferences be stored in /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences?
PowerMacX Wrote:I don't have Time Machine (still on Tiger) so I'd rather let someone else try... Wink
Chickin! Rasp

... of course, I'm not gonna try it either ...

Quote:Also, shouldn't the preferences be stored in /Users/Shared/Library/Preferences?

Yeah, sure. Sounds good to me. I just don't know what the point of a library directory being in shared would be, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. Certainly fits the standard scheme of things.
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/CF...index.html

So it seems that the Shared directory is the recommended way to do this.