Detritus (3d-ish FPS-ish take on asteroids)

Apprentice
Detritus is a fast-paced shoot-em-up strongly based on the old classic Asteroids.

I really could use feedback on the OS X experience--I've got a 10.2 G4 that gave me hell trying to put things together (of course, if I'd read directions better, ... ). But I come from a primarily windows background so far as games go, so I don't know what might feel right or wrong for others (for instance, Detritus goes fullscreen and I've had one person ask if it could be made to not--which makes me wonder what other Mac idioms I might not be familiar with)

Detritus 1.0.5rc4 (dmg)

Screenshot:
[Image: ingame_large_v105.jpg]

I'd also love feedback on gameplay or whatever. I know the HUD needs work but nothing's clicked yet, so suggestions there would be great. And I know the screenshots need work, but I'm planning on having a contest for that. Wink

Any and all feedback would really be appreciated!
Quote this message in a reply
Runs fine, iMac G5 10.4.11.

I like the concept but I think control of the ship needs improving. Maybe the camera could always be orientated in the direction the ship is pointing instead of just the direction the thrust is going? Also, I get the impression while playing that I am constantly looping up. Is this intentional?

As far as Mac specific things go, Mac users tend to like it when cmd-Q immediately quits a program, although you certainly wouldn't be the first to disregard that and people who aren't as lazy as me might not even care.
Terrydil Wrote:Runs fine, iMac G5 10.4.11.

I like the concept but I think control of the ship needs improving. Maybe the camera could always be orientated in the direction the ship is pointing instead of just the direction the thrust is going? Also, I get the impression while playing that I am constantly looping up. Is this intentional?

As far as Mac specific things go, Mac users tend to like it when cmd-Q immediately quits a program, although you certainly wouldn't be the first to disregard that and people who aren't as lazy as me might not even care.

Powerbook G4 running 10.5.2, works fine.

Seconding all of Terrydil's suggestions. Moving and turning the ship is a bit disorienting. Having the camera always be directly behind the player, and having the down key brake instead of an instant 180 flip would help controls a lot.

And yeah, no need to ask the player to confirm on a command-q, it's acceptable (expected) that the program just bail.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Cool game.
About the fullscreen mode - I'd make the game start in window by default and have a setting to change it to fullscreen later. It's nice that the app switches to the native resolution automatically.
I agree with previous posters about the gameplay.
The textures of the font and the star background could be of higher resolution, they appear blocky to me. I don't know how you're doing the background (Drawing a cube?), but maybe you can have less textures for the sides of the cube while having them at higher resolution.
Since you already have a particle system, you could add some particles to asteroid and alien ship explosions, too. Smile
Looks cool on my box! I agree with the comments about turning, especially. Also, star backgrounds with parallax are often cool and easy. Good work, it's looking good!
Runs fine MBP 10.5.2

Controls are a little funky though.
Apprentice
Terrydil Wrote:I like the concept but I think control of the ship needs improving. Maybe the camera could always be orientated in the direction the ship is pointing instead of just the direction the thrust is going?

I found the game too "static" when it was fixed on orientation versus velocity, but given the feedback in the thread I think I'll make that a setting you can change (going to give in and make a settings screen, I guess Smile )

Quote:Also, I get the impression while playing that I am constantly looping up. Is this intentional?

You're basically stuck in a little hamsterball, so yes Smile

Quote:As far as Mac specific things go, Mac users tend to like it when cmd-Q immediately quits a program, although you certainly wouldn't be the first to disregard that and people who aren't as lazy as me might not even care.

No, that's definitely the sort of thing I was looking for. I completely forgot about that (and it looks like I completely forgot about alt-f4 for windows, also).

JustinFic Wrote:Having the camera always be directly behind the player, and having the down key brake instead of an instant 180 flip would help controls a lot.

Down key to brake I hadn't even considered. Sounds like another option to add, though I don't think I'll make it the default. Hopefully a "press o for options" will be enough notice for anyone frustrated with the controls?

_ibd_ Wrote:Cool game.
About the fullscreen mode - I'd make the game start in window by default and have a setting to change it to fullscreen later. It's nice that the app switches to the native resolution automatically.

I'll see what I can do with that... unfortunately it adds some complexity beyond what I'm hoping to do for a release, but if nothing else I'll definitely consider that an OS X idiom for my next game, at which point I'd probably backport it to Detritus, too.

Quote:The textures of the font and the star background could be of higher resolution, they appear blocky to me. I don't know how you're doing the background (Drawing a cube?), but maybe you can have less textures for the sides of the cube while having them at higher resolution.
Since you already have a particle system, you could add some particles to asteroid and alien ship explosions, too. Smile

The font is actually being rendered realtime, so it's just that the game's set natively to 800x600 and then stretched out to whatever screenres you've got.

The stars are being rendered to a cube, and part of the problem is I just can't draw stars very realistically. Maybe I can try to grab some nasa imagery--I only recently found out they were essentially public domain.

I don't exactly have a particle _system_ so much as a few particle effects, but I'll see what reusing the smoke explosion for asteroids and the alien ship does Smile

AndyKorth Wrote:Looks cool on my box! I agree with the comments about turning, especially. Also, star backgrounds with parallax are often cool and easy. Good work, it's looking good!

I'll see if I can do something with parallax though I think anything with that would be pretty subtle as your motion is pretty constrained. Would you recommend anything in particular for figuring that out? ((blending modes, creating starmaps, ...))

kodex Wrote:Runs fine MBP 10.5.2 Controls are a little funky though.

Funky as the comments above, or something else?

And thank you all! This is the most feedback I've gotten by far (on the game as a whole), and I've been posting places for two weeks now.
Apprentice
Also great to hear that it's actually working on everyone's system Grin
kaolin Wrote:Funky as the comments above, or something else?

Im not sure if it was the lack of camera tracking or the controls themselves but I found it very difficult to be able to control my direction with them. I think camera tracking on the ship or back to brake instead of flip will make things a lot easier.
kaolin Wrote:The font is actually being rendered realtime, so it's just that the game's set natively to 800x600 and then stretched out to whatever screenres you've got.

I don't know how the font rendering works, but I'm pretty sure the opengl context I have is at my native resolution of 1440*900. Maybe you can change this resolution based on the current res, or just render the font bigger, then scale it down?

kaolin Wrote:The stars are being rendered to a cube, and part of the problem is I just can't draw stars very realistically. Maybe I can try to grab some nasa imagery--I only recently found out they were essentially public domain.

How does setting the textures' stretching properties to GL_LINEAR look?

i.e.
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
Apprentice
_ibd_ Wrote:I don't know how the font rendering works, but I'm pretty sure the opengl context I have is at my native resolution of 1440*900. Maybe you can change this resolution based on the current res, or just render the font bigger, then scale it down?

I think I'm actually rendering the ortho stuff at 800x600 fixed; moving that around is less easy than I'd hoped.

I redid my skybox images with a "how to make stars" photoshop tutorial and I think they came out much better =) (I also made them 1024x1024 instead of 512x512 -- I could email you those if you were interested as drop-in replacements.)

Quote:How does setting the textures' stretching properties to GL_LINEAR look?

i.e.
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );

A little blurry, maybe, but ... nice, I think. Smile Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Detritus - Performance question kaolin 13 4,992 May 3, 2008 04:07 PM
Last Post: kaolin