Why do you buy software?

I'm not really a guy who cares whether my application is convenient for the end-user;Grin I just want it to sell, which is why I'm posting this poll. What do you buy software for?

1. Website that markets it
This would be how easy it is to buy, and how well the website is designed.

2. Usability/Features
This would be how well the UI is designed, and how useful it's features are. This would also contain Pricing.

3. Funness
This would be pertaining to stuff that is fun, such as Easter eggs, hidden buttons, animations that pop up when you do the right combination of keys, etc.

4. Other (Please specify)
Is there anything else???

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Quote this message in a reply
There is no way I can accurately answer this poll. Sometimes software is great, sometimes it's necessary even if the design isn't stellar. Anyway, people aren't likely to be accurate predictors of their own behavior. Better to hold a study.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
diordna Wrote:Anyway, people aren't likely to be accurate predictors of their own behavior. Better to hold a study.

It sounds funny when you say it, but I think this is very true. Asking someone "Would you pay $15 for this software" is very different from actually having them pay you $15.

My answer to the poll would depend on what kind of software I was buying.. game or utility. Ultimately, I ask myself how much use I'd get out of it and compare that to the cost. Well polished software really makes me very impressed, but if it's a program I personally don't have a use for (like Delicious Library, perhaps), I won't buy it. Sketchy/unprofessional webpages will skew my opinion of a software developer and maybe the quality of the product, but it's not a huge deal.

Ease of purchase is a big one. I want to send my money quickly, without hassle, and passing through as few screens as possible. I want a download link or registration key immediately. I want to be reasonably sure my account just ddin't get emptied and you fled the country without me getting my software.

In terms of games... I ask two questions: how fun will it be (which is a deciding factor in if I will buy it) and how long will I have that much fun (which decides how much I'll pay).
Andy is saying exactly what I think too.
Apprentice
Andy certainly makes some good points. You really can't focus quality in on one area, quality is an overall characteristic. Your system from the opening web page to the user having fun with game should all be focused on quality. This will ensure you the best financial results.
I use numerology; if I'm considering buying a piece of software, I create an array of 100 32-bit values, and fill each with a rand() call. Then I decide "yes, buy this software!" if the 13th bit is more often 1, "no, dump this piece of crap" if the 13th bits are more likely to be 0. If they are equal, I proceed to call a tie breaker rand().

So far, this has led me to buy TextMate, CSSEdit, and OmniWeb. Clearly, the rand() gods like good software.

You think that's bad? I used to seed it with the sum of the hex values of the digits of a hash of the name of the applicatio.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Haha! I like Nayr's method the best.

- Lincoln Green
I usually try to find if there's a free alternative. I will generally only buy something if I really want it. (yes, I am stingy Rasp)
akb825 Wrote:I usually try to find if there's a free alternative. I will generally only buy something if I really want it. (yes, I am stingy Rasp)

I call that being practical! Sneaky
Quote:I'm not really a guy who cares whether my application is convenient for the end-user; I just want it to sell

With an attitude like that you'll never sell anything. Unless you've got a marketing budget the size of M$ you can't get away with selling cr@p. Make an app that does something that the user needs (be it functionality, entertainment etc.) at a reasonable price and you will be fine. If you try to sell something that doesn't do what the user needs/wants then you won't get them coming back to you...
akb825 Wrote:I usually try to find if there's a free alternative. I will generally only buy something if I really want it. (yes, I am stingy Rasp)

That's what I do.

IBethune Wrote:With an attitude like that you'll never sell anything. Unless you've got a marketing budget the size of M$ you can't get away with selling cr@p. Make an app that does something that the user needs (be it functionality, entertainment etc.) at a reasonable price and you will be fine. If you try to sell something that doesn't do what the user needs/wants then you won't get them coming back to you...
LOL

You're joking, right? Right?Annoyed

- Lincoln Green
Well, think about it. Would you buy what you create? If not, then it's not worth selling. I already figured that it wasn't worth the hassle to sell what I create, so what I released and plan on releasing is and will be open source. I make my living programming by day, and what I do at home on my free time is for fun, so that's good enough for me.
Hairball183 Wrote:You're joking, right? Right?Annoyed

Why would he be joking? If you don't care about whether your app is convenient for your potential customers, why should they care to buy it from you? That only makes sense if you're Microsoft and have billions to waste on brainwashing people that they like bad software, which is exactly what they do. Seems to have worked really well for them, but I don't have the resources to try that strategy myself. Besides, I'd object to that practice on moral grounds!

It's simple: Make great software and people will buy it.

Further, you can make it great enough and a large corporation will either buy it out from you or rip it off outright and say it was theirs to begin with -- and maybe even sue you for patent and/or trademark infringement after the fact. That's how things work here in Amerika. But I'm not becoming cynical in my older age, I swear... Sneaky
Well, actually, I was not referring to the advice itself. The part about me not caring was sarcastic, and I was wondering if he actually took it seriously.Smile
And yes, in writing, it is harder to understand when someone is sarcastic or not, so I can understand where he's coming from, and many thanks for the advice. Wink

- Lincoln Green
Hehe, some of us can only process one layer of sarcasm at a time. I caught the original line, but got confused at the "You're joking" part. Double indirection usually only leaves me a 50% chance of staying on track at that point. Wink