A couple of OpenGL questions

Hairball183 Wrote:My library has nothing nada zilch! on programming, much less on OpenGL.

Depending on what kind of budget and/or policies your library operates on, a lot of libraries will order the books you want if you ask them. We have a college library here that loves to order any book you ask for. They even issue non-student library cards, which come with a few restrictions, like you can't reserve books, and you can only have out like three at a time or something.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
maximile Wrote:http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2004/qa1167.html

It's the kind of thing that's fine for ages, and then you realise you need to change it to add certain features, and by then it's annoying to have to go back.

The "limited set of pixel format attributes" problem has been fixed in Leopard with IB3.
There are still cases where you need to create the pixel format and view programmatically though. For example, context sharing.
AnotherJake Wrote:I don't think it's actually free but there was/(maybe still is) a pdf of the third? edition floating around some time ago. That should cover OpenGL 1.2, which is all you really need to know right now anyway. 2.0 might be nice but things will be changing with OpenGL soon anyway, so 1.2 will easily suffice. You can search the forums to maybe find a link to it, but I don't know if it was taken down or not. Maybe Google it. Nobody seems to really know what the legality of it was/is.

Outside of the Red Book, there are lots of sites that have API documentation for OpenGL. There also exist real places called libraries. Well at least they existed when I was a kid. We used to walk/bike to them and borrow books for free! Don't know if they're still around, but it might be worth a look.

There's an HTML version of the very first version at http://opengl.org/documentation/red_book/ , which is about as official as it gets. But there was a PDF with a (slightly) newer version available at the same location some time ago, I wonder where it went.
Wow, I had no idea that was there! Awesome! Grin
I hate learning more and more about openGL, and all the while knowing that openGL 3 is just around the corner and I will have to relearn everything. Sad
Wow, just searched the Dixon IL, library, and they really do have crap.
Books about computers and BASIC from 1984 (i'd borrow them!).

I search "game design" and get "Elements of Bridge" from 1960.

Just wow man.

Ok through the NIC you can get books sent to your local library from other branches. This is what I found If this link works

953 results for "programming", I'll let you have at it.
zero results for openGL specifically, but some of those books might at least be of some interest (if you run Windows....).

Here's the search for game design 67 results
igame3d Wrote:Wow, just searched the Dixon IL, library, and they really do have crap.
Books about computers and BASIC from 1984 (i'd borrow them!).

I search "game design" and get "Elements of Bridge" from 1960.

Just wow man.

I looked at those several times in my younger years.(Yes, there was a time when I was younger than I am now)Rasp

So how is Lua for game programming? I wouldn't mind extending my knowledge of various programming languages.Wacko

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
igame3d Wrote:Ok through the NIC you can get books sent to your local library from other branches. This is what I found If this link works

953 results for "programming", I'll let you have at it.
zero results for openGL specifically, but some of those books might at least be of some interest (if you run Windows....).

Here's the search for game design 67 results

How do you sign up for an account? Do you have to go to one of the libraries they mention?

- Lincoln Green
Ah, never mind. I get it now.

- Lincoln Green
Hairball183 Wrote:So how is Lua for game programming? I wouldn't mind extending my knowledge of various programming languages.Wacko

Pretty good I'd say, its been used in some major games programs,
like that World of Warcraft thing everyone else in the world but myself has played.
GLTron uses Lua, a couple of uDevgames or other contest entries used it as well.

Our first feature demo with lua was iFly 3D
( I think thats a UB version.)

After buying premier presses "Game Programming with Python, Lua, and Ruby" for $8 at a closing compusa, and nearly buying another copy to give to my library I found the book here on a chinese website, in english. Have a browse. The book itself is outdated, by at least two full version numbers of Lua I think. But it will cover the basics.

Here's an intro at Ozone3D.net
and another at
gamedev.net

We integrated murgaLua last year for its GUI making abilities.
I just posted the universal binary of Version 0.6.4 last night. Expecting 0.6.6 sometime this weekend.

Trying to get the hang of sourceforge release stuff at the moment, so will have a big iGame3D download available in a bit.
Ok here you go, I've got iGame3D binaries on sourceforge
iDevgames thread about that here

And some more examples of Lua game dev PlaidWorld's Mousehouse
made with Bang2D

There is also the very impressive (sexiest lua app ever?) PlayKode

Theoretically they are all using openGL under the hood.
@igame3d: Thanks! I'll look into it.
@AnotherJake: I keep forgetting to reply to one of your posts. I try to always subclass the main class I use in my app, so I can intercept events, add outlets, etc. Gives me a feeling of power.Sneaky

- Lincoln Green