Unusual concentration of macs at universities?

This is something I've been noticing for awhile and was wondering if it was a general trend. On MIT campus, the Mac to PC ratio seems to be nearly 50% (and a large percentage of the PC's run Ubuntu rather than Windows). In many of my lectures, there are more PowerBooks/MacBook Pro's out than any other laptop. Roughly half of the professors I have that bring their laptops have a Mac. Even when Nobel prize winner Frank Wilczek gave a guest lecture, he used an Apple machine. Most of the staff offices I've been in have iMac or G5 setups. If I never knew anything outside of MIT, I would think Apple has 50% or more of a market share. I was wondering if this is similar with other universities. I know Apple has been gaining momentum lately, but has it really grown that much? Anyway, I think it's pretty awesome.
Quote this message in a reply
I go to UCSD, and the concentration of Mac laptops is also very high.
About 60-70% Macs here, but it's a very graphics/fashion/animation/broadcasting focussed uni.
University of Colorado has its graphics department covered in Macs naturally, but the Animation department was wall to wall Dell.

They upgrade every two years and the chief guy there, if he's still there, is a Mac guy, so maybe this fall they make the switch...thats what he basically suggested last year.

At > $4,000 per class, I think they should give you a freakin Mac, one for every class.
Oldtimer
Here at KTH in Stockholm, the MacBooks exploded last year among students, and this year the MBP:s are starting to pop up. When I enrolled in 2004, I would feel inclined to say hi to fellow Mac:ers, but now we're cleanly in majority. It's neat.
I'd say it's about 50/50 here. It's almost entirely MacBooks or Dells.
Can't weigh in on college, but at my high-school, Mac users are definitely still a minority. That being said, the general opinion among everyone else seems to be that Macs are ok, they just prefer Windows (or Linux, of course).
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
I'm at University of Texas at Austin. Here the university gives professors Apple laptops to use (and upgrades them to newer models every couple of years). Many students with laptops use Apple as well. Unfortunately most of the computer labs seem to be PC dominated but certainly not all.

Apple used to do a really good job giving schools of all levels large discounts on desktop computers for their labs. I hope that is something that continues. In my experience people prefer what they are used to so the more kids that grow up using Macs in school, the better for the cause. Rasp
[Image: 4b4f515242058b9917bc45384.jpg]
I can't comment at about college, but at my school, the high school is all PC's, and the elementary is all Macs... XD

I recently participated at a FIRST robotics regional at RIT, and I was surprised to see that many other teams use Macs, but the funny thing is that the compiler and IDE only runs on windows XD.
Sage
Fenris Wrote:Here at KTH in Stockholm, the MacBooks exploded last year among students, and this year the MBP:s are starting to pop up. When I enrolled in 2004, I would feel inclined to say hi to fellow Mac:ers, but now we're cleanly in majority. It's neat.

I thought only Dell laptops exploded. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
That is funny.LOL Glad to hear the Mac is moving up. Perhaps the Apul can save the human race after all. http://binkworks.com/about.html/ Rasp

(Yes, it is corny)

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
_ibd_ Wrote:[Image: 4b4f515242058b9917bc45384.jpg]

Thats awesome. Looks like its time to develop games specifically designed to be played during lectures Wink
Definitely.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
yeah at my university all the lecturers have mac laptops. Half the labs that have PC's run linux and there are a few labs that have half dell half imac setups.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Check out the PC vs. Macs in this Game Dev meeting. WhatMeWorry 7 4,212 Nov 16, 2006 11:28 AM
Last Post: ravuya