Mac Finder Questions

Founder
I have some questions on the Finder. They are ultra easy for you pros.

For some reason, I've never been able to master the ability to set some folders to a certain view. When I change a folder to, say show images slider, it changes the entire system way to show folders. I could swear that old Mac OS had the ability to set the whole system or just a folder.

Any system plane that allows you to delete, rename, etc files from the File Requestor window? I hate my day machine (PC), but I find that function rather handy.

When I right click on an image to open it with an app, I get a list of 1000 programs since it is a format that many apps can open. That drives me insane as it takes a while for the list to load up, not to mention needing to look through the list. I'd prefer it to give me a choice of 5 most common apps with a 'Other...' or 'Find Program' in the bottom of the menu. Again, anyway to whittle my list of apps that Mac OS X offers to use?

Thanks!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
#1: Set up a Finder window how you like it, then hit command-j and check "Always open in ... view"

#2: Don't know - I've seen some hacks but I wouldn't recommend them. Apple really needs to fix this since it's not only annoying but it can list apps you've trashed or updated and the list just gets longer and longer. Apple's "fix" for stale entries is to trash the launch services preferences: http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24770 but doing that also resets any custom default apps you've set up.
Founder
Thanks I will try that. So it isn't just me with #2.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Yeah, item 2 is pretty annoying behavior. I actually almost never use the Open With list. I always drag things into dock icons to open them. I'm probably going to open it with one just a few apps, and those stay in the dock. TextWrangler, Photoshop, Preview, VLC, and Safari handle just about everything I ever open.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work