Game Ideas: Your Thoughts

Hello everybody.

I'm getting to the point where I am almost done coding stuff that is needed by any game(model loading, physics, drawing, etc.). Soon, I'll be turning away from coding and focusing on getting a game idea developed, as in theme, story line, setting, and concept art. So far, I've come up with 3 general ideas for a game. I'd like your input on whether these ideas would (a). Be fun to play, (b). Sound interesting enough to try, and ©. Be something you would play. Here they are. If you have any other ideas, then feel free to suggest them.

(a). A 3rd person snowball fight game. You would have the ability to build anything out of snow, like forts, barricades, snowmen, and, of course, snowballs. Setting could be a back-of-the-house woods, or a normal neighborhood.

(b). A FPS squirt-gun game. Setting would be a normal neighborhood. There would be different types of water-guns available, as well as water balloons, buckets of water, and the ultimate weapon in a water fight: The Hose.

©. A 3rd person sword fighting game. I guess this would be a RPG, since you would be filling the shoes of a ranger who gets hired to help someone to something, or whatever I come up with for a story. There would be several different weapons you could use, sword, axe, spear, and bow. There would also be horses you could ride.

All of these games would have rag-doll physics and multiplayer. Any of these ideas would probably be good, but I'd like to know what your thoughts are. Any comments on these ideas would be appreciated and considered.
Quote this message in a reply
Idea A (Snowball fight) : Strongest idea of the tree IMO. I'm picturing an action game with some RTS elements. Would make an excellent flash game. Design this one right and you've got a winner.

Idea B (Watergun FPS) : Could be cool, water fights are a nice non-violent substitute for bullets, but I don't know if it's a strong enough niche. Personally, being a Nerf gun addict, I'd rather see a Nerf FPS, and I think it would have a much better audience.

Idea C (swordfight) : Weakest of the three by far, and it's an idea a million people have. Don't bother.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
I would definitely ditch number 3, as for the other two, they're about even imho.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
I like idea A best. Paint-ball would be better than squirt guns IMO. Idea C is way overdone, although sword fighting is always cool (especially with blood and gore and severed limbs...).
Thanks for all the replies!

JustinFic: Yeah, the snowball idea is my favorite one. I got the idea while playing a game called Penguin Arena, where your a penguin who throws snowballs. However, I thought that it would be more fun to be 3rd person and not an FPS. Also, building snow forts was something I used to do when I was a kid, and it was insanely fun when you were done, because then people would charge it and try to get inside while you pummeled them with snowballs!Grin Building stuff in the game would be simple, just hit the build key and you would start to mound up snow. Just move around to continue building in any direction.

The squirt gun idea was something that popped into my head while watching a Super Soaker commercial. And also because It looked super fun. Not to mention that hoses rock. Interesting that you mention Nerf guns, I had thought of that too. Nerf guns are pretty sweet, not to mention you get the satisfaction of actually launching a projectile at someone.

I guess the sword fighting thing is a little overused. This one was not inspired by anything, I just thought it would be cool, if done right.

hairball183: Okay, looks like the sword game is dead. This is good, though, to figure out first what people want, then doing it, instead of the other way around.

AnotherJake: I guess, it's just that paintball has been done already, and I don't want to make another game that everyone has played already. Yes, severed limbs are cool.

Looks like the snowball fight idea is the best received. Squirt gun or Nerf gun game might have to come later. Once again, thanks for your replies! They are very helpful.
I really like option number one Smile
Don't know if you've ever played it, but it looks like you're going to make a more complex version of this: http://www.freeaddictinggames.com/game/s...fight.html ? I always enjoyed that game, and it would be fun to see an advanced version of it.
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
I've been waiting for a long time for a good snowball fighting game. I've seen way too many sword fighting games. This leaves the water one somewhere in the middle, but I'd appreciate it most if you made the snowball one Grin
wyrmmage: Glad you like it. That flash game looks pretty cool, I was unable to play it on my intel though, it needed a PPC plug-in.

Cochrane: Okay, looks like the snowball idea is what I am going with.

I had some sweet ideas to add to the snowball fight game. First off, I think that the style of the game would be very similar to Calvin and Hobbes, with the small bodies and the large heads. Also, I think it would be awesome to have in the game a few racing levels with sleds. I don't know if any of you have read Calvin and Hobbes, but one of the things he did in the winter was ride his sled at insanely high speeds in the woods, and if he crashed(which almost always happened), he would go flyingGrin. I think this would add a lot of fun to the game, with the ability to grab a handful of snow to make a snowball and hurl it at the other sledders, plus be able to ram them into trees and other stuff like that. This would add another level to multiplayer as well. Thanks for all the feedback!
This would be insanely fun; especially in 3D.

- Lincoln Green
Quote:This would be insanely fun; especially in 3D.

I'd like to throw my support behind 2d.
ya.....I was thinking of a more 2D-ish game too; perhaps 2.5 D? (like, Isometric, I believe it's called....it's the style diablo used). Still, it's your project, so make it whatever dimension you see fit Rasp
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Huh. I was thinking about doing it in 3D. I'm not sure how to go about it in 2D, I could probably do it in "Isometric", but I think I'll stick with my original plan, and only deviate if I have to. I'm glad everyone likes the idea, I'll try and get some concept art done before too long. I'm also thinking of starting a development blog on blogger, where I could post news and show how it's progressing. Thanks for all the great feedback!
3D is the only choice!

- Lincoln Green
Glad you agree.
Shivers Wrote:I'd like to throw my support behind 2d.

Seconding 2d, especially if this is your first project. Going 3d greatly balloons the amount of work you have to do, both in the code and assets departments.

I'd say go 3d if you're using an engine like Unity. Otherwise it's a huge can of worms.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Game Ideas? Le Muck 18 14,852 Dec 20, 2009 12:58 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Space Based Games... Why are they not as popular? Your thoughts... carmine 5 5,818 Nov 7, 2008 11:10 PM
Last Post: TythosEternal
  Game ideas muffins91 6 4,953 Aug 2, 2007 07:53 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Searching game ideas Iceman 7 5,476 Aug 27, 2005 04:13 PM
Last Post: unknown
  Spaceships strategy game ideas Achenar 1 3,973 Jun 26, 2005 02:18 AM
Last Post: sealfin