iPhone game development coming

Apple Insider reports from today's Apple shareholder meeting:
Quote:[Steve Jobs] also noted the impending SDK release for the iPhone and iPod Touch would open the market for new opportunities for gaming.
Sounds like we will get our opportunity to develop some games for this device!

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
That's awesome, Scott. Smile

Just think of the games...
Ok, that rocks my world.

And up until now I'd been wondering whether the iPhone can sense arbitrary orientations or just 90 degree increments.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Great work Scott. Does the current version of chipmunk 'just work' or did you need to make some changes, and if so will those changes be made available?

I can't wait to make a game using chipmunk with the accelerometer! Now to find the idea that no one else has though of...

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Wow. That is neat.
Sage
Oh, that wasn't me actually. I don't own a touch or anything (yet). The guy only had to make a few modifications to the demo application to create the OpenGL context. Otherwise it sounds like the library compiled with no changes.

I've actually seen it running on a coworkers iPhone. It was pretty neat. Those things run much faster than I would have thought.

There is a post on the Chipmunk forum somewhere. I'd dig up a link and all, but I'm really lazy. Rasp

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Information is still coming in, and the Apple developer site is getting hammered so much that I cannot download the SDK, but Apple did make the iPhone SDK available today. There is iPhone emulator software that comes with for those without an iPhone handy.

Apple will have a store for all iPhone apps and will screen them.
Apple will take 30% of what developers charge, and give the other 70% to the developer in a monthly payment. No credit cards for the developer to hassle with - seems like Apple is stepping in as a sort of Kagi / PayPal service here...
$99 cost to become a developer with a program on the store.
There is some sort of iFund, a "venture capital" of $100 million to go to people with innovative iPhone ideas.

Thoughts?

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Looks awesome. I'll download it when I get home, and hopefully by then the site will be a bit less hammered...
Really excited.
- 70% is fantastic, was expecting much worse
- OpenAL support is great, especially as I just finished porting Chopper's audio to OpenAL
- Good sounding distribution and update system
- The simulator should be handy, I wonder how you get your app to your iPhone for testing, and whether some 'Development key' will have to be set. Will XCode have a 'publish to connected iPhone' option?
- Glad the iPod Touch will also support 3rd party apps
- I'm betting there are going to be thousands of games for release on the first day. It's going to be a real fight to get noticed in the crowd, and Apple may be very strong on it's quality control to try to combat this

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Yeah, this looks great so far (except for the hammered dev site of course). The simulator will be extremely handy for those of us who don't actually have the hardware on hand (yet).
That's why I can't access the dev site.Ninja

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
Wow. I actually was able to access developer.apple.com.

- Lincoln Green
http://www.binkworks.com/
2.1 Gigabytes, Oh My Gosh! Blink

At least it looks like they put it on a fat pipe...

It appears that they will allow free apps to be distributed for free -- way to go Apple! Grin

They specifically said that they are only taking a percentage of commercial apps to pay for the App store and that's all. They don't see it as a money making opportunity for them. One reporter brought up the thought of "monopoly" because Apple is controlling all the software on it, but Apple seems to have responded that they aren't making money on the software distributed through the App store, so no worries from their point of view.

Sounds like it's pretty easy to deploy programs from Xcode directly to the iPhone. Supposedly the remote debugging works great too. I guess we'll see...

Also read them mention that all the programs deployed to the iPhone have a certificate so that they can track down anyone who puts out malicious software. Sounds reasonable to me.
AnotherJake Wrote:2.1 Gigabytes, Oh My Gosh! Blink

Looks like it comes with Xcode 3.1. Still... You'd think they were distributing a full length movie with it or something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iPhone Application Development - Basic Steps for Beginners kevinvwallace 1 1,133 Mar 20, 2014 06:59 AM
Last Post: FinleyScott
  3D game development socialrender 4 5,788 Jan 2, 2013 12:50 AM
Last Post: NikG
  Win a copy of: Beginning iPhone 4 Development: Exploring the iOS SDK @iOS_blog 0 3,045 Oct 1, 2011 04:23 AM
Last Post: @iOS_blog
  [Game Engine]Orx coming to iPhone iarwain 6 10,801 May 17, 2011 02:31 PM
Last Post: iarwain
  iphone 4 game development andynov123 2 6,917 Jan 18, 2011 01:27 AM
Last Post: JohnEdward