Initial Svn Import?

Hello,

I want to start using svn for my current project, and I've never used it before. I have one folder where I keep the whole project, and I've setup an Assembla project space at http://www.assembla.com which automatically creates an svn repos, and trac space.

How do I add all of my project files for the first time into the svn space on assembla? I've tried several things, such as checking out the empty repository, adding my project files to the local working directory, adding the files (svn add ), then committing it, but that didn't work.

Can anyone help me out?
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
svn add will work. You must be doing it wrong. But the simplest way is to clear out everything you don't want in the repository from the folder you're going to suck into it, and then do an svn import.
Luminary
What you've described should work fine, that's what I always do. I have never used "svn import" and don't really understand why you would use it Wink
I've got it working now. I ended up using svn import. cd in the directory containing my project, then use svn import projectFolderName http://link.to/svn -m "Initial import"

Worked like a charm Smile
⌘-R in Chief
Keith: I'm not sure on the difference either. I just know it works and always seems to be recommended for the initial import. I have done it both ways though.
Sage
You've never used import? Not that I do that often, but it allows you to add files to the repo for which you don't have a working copy checked out. (initial importing is a good example) I've also used it in scripts to add files to a repo.

I helped a guy at work set up something similar for adding SQL schema changes to the repository as well. Import worked well so that he didn't have to have 6 branches checked out, add the file to all of them, and commit all of them. Why do we have 6 branches? Well that's another nightmare entirely Wink. (used to have 8, now down to 5)

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Win32/DirectX to OSX/OpenGL: Initial request for help for spare time project Toby at home 13 8,045 May 12, 2007 01:26 PM
Last Post: ChrisD
  #import <ppc_intrinsics.h> for Universal Binary ? DanLab 22 9,916 Apr 16, 2006 10:28 AM
Last Post: DoG
  Open/Save As versus Import/Export? WhatMeWorry 1 3,430 Jan 15, 2006 09:33 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie