DXF or 3DMF -> .obj file converter

Hi all. I've been looking for a simple, cheap tool to create mesh models for my app (tank sim) and I'm probably going to use MeshWork for now. It may be antient, but it's very straightforward and has a decent UV engine.

The problem is, this app cannot output to .obj. It can do the old 3DMF or DXF but that's it. I prefer to work with .obj in my code as it's easy to read and yet quite flexible (groups, vertex normals, materials etc). So I need a program to convert from one of these formats to .obj. I also have Wings3d which can handle .obj but (typically) it can't import either format.

I could write a small app to do this as I'm know basic DXF but it would be great if there's a ready-made solution somewhere.

(sorry if this is the wrong forum)
Quote this message in a reply
Cheetah3D has a special where you can get it for $70 instead of $130. If you prefer free, you can use Blender, and then there's also FBX converter(I think).
Hairball183 Wrote:Cheetah3D has a special where you can get it for $70 instead of $130. If you prefer free, you can use Blender, and then there's also FBX converter(I think).

Cheetah is overkill for what I need. And I can't stand Blender's UI.
check out ivcon, which is amazing Smile
it can be found here: http://orion.math.iastate.edu/burkardt/g...ivcon.html

-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Danny77uk Wrote:Cheetah is overkill for what I need.
I highly doubt that. Wink I've used many different 3D modelers over the years, including MeshWork, and Cheetah3D is just right for this kind of stuff. Obviously we all have our different tastes, and I'm not imploring you to use Cheetah, but my advice would still be to at least try to stick with something a little more up to date than MeshWork.

Danny77uk Wrote:And I can't stand Blender's UI.

Many of us can't, myself included. Can't complain about the feature set, but man that interface just drives me up a wall! I can model in any program, but I definitely prefer a UI that is native to OS X. With Blender, for me anyway, it feels like I'm constantly fighting the UI, which tends to distract away from what little creativity I possess. All that being said, Blender is very powerful and I hesitate to go so far as to recommend against it.
AnotherJake Wrote:I highly doubt that. Wink I've used many different 3D modelers over the years, including MeshWork, and Cheetah3D is just right for this kind of stuff. Obviously we all have our different tastes, and I'm not imploring you to use Cheetah, but my advice would still be to at least try to stick with something a little more up to date than MeshWork.

Many of us can't, myself included. Can't complain about the feature set, but man that interface just drives me up a wall! I can model in any program, but I definitely prefer a UI that is native to OS X. With Blender, for me anyway, it feels like I'm constantly fighting the UI, which tends to distract away from what little creativity I possess. All that being said, Blender is very powerful and I hesitate to go so far as to recommend against it.

Same here. MadMadMad
Hairball183 Wrote:Cheetah3D has a special where you can get it for $70 instead of $130.

WHAT?!?! Sonofa! I just paid almost double just a month ago.

Anyway, to the OP, Meshwork is an awful choice.
Just minutes ago I tried it again after years and cringed at the horror.

Even though I just bought Cheetah for its animation support,
in the past two weeks I've exported over 200 free 3DS and .OBJ models AC3D. Its $80.
I don't know if the demo is capable of exporting, its been a few years since I used the demo.

Also somewhere on this forum is a script for exporting .obj from googles free SketchUp.
Thanks for the tips guys!
igame3d Wrote:WHAT?!?! Sonofa! I just paid almost double just a month ago.

So did someone on the C3D forum.Shock

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Questions for a Metal->C++ converter. Joseph Duchesne 15 5,544 Apr 19, 2003 12:59 AM
Last Post: sealfin