2D graphics creation

For my last (2D) game I ploted all of my graphics out by hand on graph paper and manually input the vertices and triangles into .obj files. As much fun as this is (Rolleyes), I would very much like to find a better way to create the graphics for my next game. Also, I would like to start using textures, and I have no idea how I would go about texture mapping by hand.
What programs do you guys use for 2D artwork creation?
And what file format do you have the program export?
I feel like I'm ready to move on to something a little more advanced than .obj
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Wings3D, Blender (free), Cheetah3D (cheap), Maya, Modo (not cheap) and others for the modeling; any of them will help you lay out texture coordinates. GIMP (free) or PhotoShop (not cheap) for the textures.
Ok, so just use my favorite 3D modeller? What file format should I export to?
I'm confused. Are we talking about making 2D graphics with a 3D modeler, or 3D graphics?

For 2D graphics, just render the output of your 3D modeler to whatever you need/have available -- preferably PNG or JPG.

For 3D graphics, .obj is pretty standard and still very suitable for static geometry. If you are doing skeletal animation in your game (which is tricky) you can try exporting fbx file format, which appears to be the best current, generally accepted format for that. I know Cheetah3D can do fbx, but I don't know about others. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to use fbx in my own games yet so I don't know much else about it. For other animated formats there are a variety of file formats to choose from -- none of which are universally used or available in all different 3D modelers, so you'd have to really shop around (Blender usually supports the most formats), use Windows, or roll your own. Notably, id's 3D file formats are nice, but hard to find editors for on the Mac. In this day and age, I personally would stick to .obj for static geometry or fbx for anything past that (assuming I could figure out how to use it of course).
yeah, I'm still in the 2D realm.

It just hit me: I can just do my art in photoshop, set the background as transparent, then texture that onto a rectangle. Then technically I am drawing a rectangle but all that can be seen is the form of the artwork. Are there any disadvantages to that approach/ better ways?

Man, why didn't I think of this a long time ago? I think I'll chalk this up to over-thinking.

Edit: heh, 200th post.
You mean you've been shaping your flat 3D objects to fit your 2D sprites all this time? That is ... insanitaaay!

Dude, yes, use transparency and texture a quad (rectangle, whatever) with it -- much MUCH easier.

[edit] ... by far
yeah, I've been breaking everything down into triangles. I now realize that that was extremely over-complicated. I feel really stupid now Blush …
Well don't feel too bad -- it was a great technique for fine-grained polygonal collision detection. Not very practical, but highly accurate. Wink
AnotherJake Wrote:I'm confused. Are we talking about making 2D graphics with a 3D modeler, or 3D graphics?

For 2D graphics, just render the output of your 3D modeler to whatever you need/have available -- preferably PNG or JPG.

For 3D graphics, .obj is pretty standard and still very suitable for static geometry. If you are doing skeletal animation in your game (which is tricky) you can try exporting fbx file format, which appears to be the best current, generally accepted format for that. I know Cheetah3D can do fbx, but I don't know about others. I haven't taken the time to figure out how to use fbx in my own games yet so I don't know much else about it. For other animated formats there are a variety of file formats to choose from -- none of which are universally used or available in all different 3D modelers, so you'd have to really shop around (Blender usually supports the most formats), use Windows, or roll your own. Notably, id's 3D file formats are nice, but hard to find editors for on the Mac. In this day and age, I personally would stick to .obj for static geometry or fbx for anything past that (assuming I could figure out how to use it of course).

ivcon (which can be found here: http://orion.math.iastate.edu/burkardt/g...ivcon.html) is AMAZING, and has been a real life saver for me! ^_^
Easy to build, and very, very useful....it'll change files into tons of different formats, and since it's just a .c file, it works on pretty much any platform (including the Mac, I believe, although I can't say I've ever built it on there).
Hope this helps Smile
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
That looks pretty useful! Thanks for the tip wyrmmage! Grin
TylerHutchison
Unregistered

It might also be really neat to try using Google SketchUp. I have only used it for just making 3d models for fun(not for game)... but you can export a SketchUp model as a .obj So it might be a great way of making easy models. Sketch up is super de duper easy to use and totally worth checking out.
Luminary
Models made with the free version of Sketchup cannot be used in commercial products. Maybe it's not an issue for you, but it's worth saying.
I don't think the latest SketchUp allows .obj export in the free version anyway. And while it's really nice to work with, it actually makes some pretty nasty geometry - overlapping faces, "seamless" polygons joining not at vertices etc.

I still use it when I'm making a model from a scale drawing, but once I've made something I usually have to spend quite a long time cleaning it up in another 3D package before I'd use it for anything other than what SketchUp can do.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Models made with the free version of Sketchup cannot be used in commercial products. Maybe it's not an issue for you, but it's worth saying.
It looks like they dropped that restriction with version 6: Google SketchUp 6 is made available to you for personal or commercial use...

It also looks like Google's KMZ format (that the free version exports) is just a disguised zip file containing Collada data.

SketchUp's usefulness just went up big time Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D image creation? BinarySpike 8 4,969 Jul 27, 2005 05:31 PM
Last Post: Buzzboy_109
  Font creation. Shivers 6 3,891 Oct 5, 2003 09:16 PM
Last Post: Shivers