Free 3-D Tree Generator: Dryad

If it was running on an xbox 360 it would be fine.
When they say "Great for games" they don't mean "on the mac".

Lets see Master Chief in low res mode is a little over 5,000 polys, and you can have
sixteen of him in a co-op game, thats 80 thousand polys, without counting terrain, weapons and effects.

A quick look shows the machine generates 500 million polys per second.

Can't find any details on what a Macs limits are.
Somebody must know.
Quote this message in a reply
igame3d Wrote:Can't find any details on what a Macs limits are.
Somebody must know.

I don't know what upper bounds are, but I've convinced myself to stick to low-end modern Macs lately, and with all the varied experimentation I've done in the last couple years or so, 40-50k tris per frame as a rule of thumb seems to be a reasonable figure on the lower bounds of things: Mac Mini (GMA950) and MacBook (X3100).

Xbox 360? Pfft... Totally nutz!

I solved Assassin's Creed last month on the 360 (been playing a bunch of games lately actually). Un-effing-believable how many polys they must be pushing through that. Halo3 was un-impressive by comparison to me. Of course those are merely visual impressions, combined with my limited knowledge of how 3D graphics work. I have no empirical figures on that so I probably shouldn't even be b-essing about it, but WOW!
I can't use the thing for several reasons.

a). No dedicated Graphics for me! I have 64MB SHARED VRAM.

b). 512 MB RAM. I still think it's sad when 512MB isn't enough, but…

But I'm not to mad. I mean, I'm lucky to have a computer! I mean, who needs a tree generator anyway. It's not like you can use it with that many tris anyway. Who cares about the tree generator? I'm just fine with what I have. *sob*. Maybe I'll go lay down for a while. *Continues rambling about how he doesn't need a tree generator*.

Rasp
I just need a couple of projectors, a few xbox 360's, a dev kit for it, and then I won't have to do any
landscaping this summer, I'll have the best yard in the state!
Virtually best yard at least.

Colorado is set to lose over five million trees from a bug infestation in the next twelve months, its going to totally change the landscape.
Maybe they should invest in this tree generator.
This talented young gentleman made a tree generator inside of Unity that actually makes trees suited for games:
http://yog3d.blogspot.com/2008/01/we-wan...acing.html

You still have to model the little parts of the tree, I think, but it's the best I've seen besides hand modeled triangle per triangle trees. So I guess if you have Unity you could use this to make .objs for your other games... :/

-Jon
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:It produces huge .obj files, though. I assume a good modeling app can simplify that geometry, however.
In my experience you just have to model a low poly tree using triangles (not quads) from the ground up. The results have been far better in efficiency and appearance than using any poly reduction algorithm.
It would be useable for games if it had clumps of leaves for each branch as a textured group of polygons rather than having each leaf be an individual polygon/set of polygons. Other than that, it's pretty cool, and could be useful for offline rendering.
It's great that it exists, and it's free.

But... it's so unbelievably slow! That alone turns me off.

Also I would want to use it to generate sprites with transparency which I can use in my games, and I see no way to do that.

And a cocoa interface would be nice, it must be cross platform or something because it's far from mac like.

I see a lot of hard work has gone into it, and it has a lot of potential, especially considering the response it has got here. But no dice from me I'm afraid. I would pay $40+ for this done right.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free Simple 2D Tree !! evicubix 3 6,483 May 29, 2008 03:03 PM
Last Post: Skorche