Obj-C for Games

I am learning Obj-C and C, as so far they are basically the same, and was wondering how viable an option for Game-making Obj-C is. Basically, I am going through the "Become an XCoder" tutorial which uses Obj-C, so was wondering whether Obj-C was just for Business apps or if it was fast enough for games. Of course, I could always just revert to C…Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
It's just fine for any games you'll be making. And even if you find a spot where it happens to be too slow (very unlikely), you could just do that spot in C.
Josh Wrote:It's just fine for any games you'll be making. And even if you find a spot where it happens to be too slow (very unlikely), you could just do that spot in C.

That's what I figured.
I tried making a game in Objective-C once. That failed, not so much because of Objective C, but rather because I was stupid. For the next game, I decided to go pro and use C++. Now every day I'm wishing I had used Objective C instead, despite problems like no useful Windows support.
For me, Obj-C is a great language to work with. So much that I actually wrote a C++ library to implement some of the functionalities that I so sorely miss(class objects mostly).
sohta Wrote:For me, Obj-C is a great language to work with. So much that I actually wrote a C++ library to implement some of the functionalities that I so sorely miss(class objects mostly).

Yeah, Objective-C is pretty fun to use. I had a small taste of Java, and I like Obj-C way better.
As far as I can tell, there are no significant (if any) performance issues with using Obj-C for game development. I completely switched from C for all of my projects last spring to Obj-C, and I cannot possibly imagine using any other language on the Mac at this point. Whatever tiny performance losses there might be are completely overshadowed by ease of development.

BTW, our latest Inkubator project uses a pure Cocoa based windowing framework which is based largely upon stuff I've developed for my own projects over the years.