FutureBASIC is now freeware!!!

Apprentice
Just thought you guys might be interested in the fact that FutureBASIC is now freeware and available for download from http://www.stazsoftware.com.

OpenGL game development here I come! :-)
Quote this message in a reply
Wow. Why did they make it free?

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
It doesn't work correctly with Leopard. Thats why this version is free.
Oh and it doesn't do universal binary.
But hey you can program for OS 7.
Apprentice
Hi igame3d. I'm using it ok on Leopard and using the FBtoC converter (which is currently at 1.0 version and will be made a seemless compilation backend) to make Universal binaries.

Why freeware? Well you could ask Staz. His business was knocked for 6 by Hurricane Katrina and (from what I can gather) he was too busy helping his wife re-set up schools in the area. In the meantime, a separate volunteer team was developing FBtoC to keep up with Apple's switch to Intel!!!

Net result: a mature BASIC language - a 3GL BASIC not a 4GL /O-O like RealBASIC - I have nothing against RealBASIC but I prefer the 3GL BASIC approach - with actually rather good support - access to modern toolboxes such as Quicktime and OPENGL, compiles fast, runs fast and yes, FREE!
ynda20 Wrote:Why freeware? Well you could ask Staz.

Yeah I was going to come back and say all that, but figured someone else
would beat me too it.

My impression from what I read and downloaded was that it's been developmentally stalled for two years and I found the marketing hype about support for ten year old operating systems ironic in light of not having full support for 2 year old architecture or the ubiquitous multi-platform.

While you're around maybe you could explain the whole FBtoC thing.
Have a fast example of how to use it?
Uses gcc yes?

I forget is gcc a default OS install or only with Developer tools?
Apprentice
You should go to the FBtoC page. It has online web (html) documentation that can be browsed without downloading the FBtoC package. More information available by
downloading the package and signing up for the FB mailing list.

Home page: http://4toc.com/fb4/

Documentation online: http://4toc.com/fb4/FBtoCHelp/FBtoCHelp.htm

Yes basically you need gCC installed but it is called behind the scenes. As a BASIC programmer, you don't need to know anything about it. (Er, I'm a BASIC programmer so QED).

FBtoC has been in development for 2 years by a group of experienced programmers. The same group are continuing to develop the product. My experience with both FBtoC and support for it has been extremely good.