Learning basic language

krzykorean
Unregistered

Ok so yea, im almost out of high school and im going to be entering an Arts and Graphics school. I would like to get familiar with the Language. Any Sites or Tips would be much appreciated.

thanks...Blush
Quote this message in a reply
Here's my quick answer. The sites themselves provide enough examples for you to get started. I especially recommend Processing - it uses Java, and there are loads of tutorials online for Java and Processing specifically.

I also recommend that you personally try out each of them. I'd do Blitzmax last if it has a time-limited trial.

Easy languages: Processing (free), BlitzMax (not free), TNT Basic (free).

Others might recommend C, but in my opinion, the above options are the easiest to learn with.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
What exactly do you want to do with programming? Is it going to be your main focus, or do you want to do more 'artsy' things with it? Honestly, you'd probably be better off in the long run if you learn HTML before learning a programming language. It may seem like an odd suggestion, but its simple, quick to learn, and it teaches you most of the main things programmers deal with, such as debugging, syntax, and readability.

-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
⌘-R in Chief
wyrmmage Wrote:Honestly, you'd probably be better off in the long run if you learn HTML before learning a programming language.

. . . Blink . . .
Luminary
I concur...
>.>

It's true, people I've seen that learn something basic like HTML that isn't really a programming language seem to grasp the concept of programming much more quickly and learn much more quickly when they do move on to a real programming language.

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
I agree with wyrmmage, I learned HTML before I did any real programming and once you're comfortable with HTML you can start learning javascript right away and do things with a GUI and graphics pretty easily, which is usually what beginning programmers want to try.
Processing, TNT Basic, and Blitzmax also let you do graphics and GUI quickly, and aren't Javascript, which I've always had an unexplainable subconscious aversion to. However, the ability to put together an HTML page is a step towards being able to write a good program.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
⌘-R in Chief
I still can't figure out Javascript. That's about the worst place to start that I can think of. Every browser is different from the rest. What a nightmare.
Sage
FreakSoftware Wrote:I still can't figure out Javascript. That's about the worst place to start that I can think of. Every browser is different from the rest. What a nightmare.

I started by learning javascript, I have no trouble programming most things I want to program.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
krzykorean
Unregistered

I know a little about HTML from my computers class i took, make a page layout and dealing with all that, (if im talking about the same thing that is), but thank you, and ill try to learn from your tips. You've all been a great deal of help to me.
AlStaffieri
Unregistered

FutureBASIC is now freeware as of January 1, 2008, so you can try that out too.
http://www.stazsoftware.com

Most of the downloads are actually at this site:
http://www.4toc.com/fb4/
there's a;ways objective-basic!
Freebasic: solid and fast!

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Ruby: Resources for Learning iefan 10 6,890 Jul 4, 2007 08:54 AM
Last Post: ALX99066
  What is the best book for learning C? Byron Clarke 8 4,185 Jul 15, 2005 12:25 AM
Last Post: Andrew