XCode or Terminal?

Just to clarify: I wasn't advocating XCode; I'd definitely look around for something better, but the mac isn't my main development platform, so I haven't had the time yet.

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
Quote this message in a reply
I'm with Fenris and FreakSoftware: Xcode works fine for me for the most part. IOW, it doesn't suck enough when it does suck to make me want to use something else... yet.
I just re-upgraded to Leopard(had to downgrade because of MIDI incompatibility problems) and started using xcode 3. So far, my only problem is when you get an error and it puts the little balloons all over your document.
IIRC you can turn that off in the preferences.

The only major problem I've ever had with XCode is the C++ indexing wouldn't work. However, they have fixed that in the 2 newest versions. (2.4 for Tiger, 3.0 for Leopard)
Luminary
I love the balloons!
Agreed. They used to have the errors show up on the left hand side in the file in question, but for some reason they removed it in some of the later versions. With the balloons you can finally see the error right where it occurs, error message and all.
But in xCode 2.4, it just shows a little warning sign on the left that you can click to show the error in the status bar. I like this better. Maybe I just need to get use to it…
⌘-R in Chief
akb825 Wrote:Agreed. They used to have the errors show up on the left hand side in the file in question, but for some reason they removed it in some of the later versions. With the balloons you can finally see the error right where it occurs, error message and all.

They didn't remove it, it was just some bug that made it not show up most of the time Annoyed

They'd pop back up occasionally. I never did figure out what was causing it. The balloons are great, except that if you close a balloon, switch to another file, then switch back, the balloon is reopened which gets annoying really quickly. There needs to be a way to say "I fixed, so stop telling me about it already."
FreakSoftware Wrote:They didn't remove it, it was just some bug that made it not show up most of the time Annoyed

They'd pop back up occasionally. I never did figure out what was causing it. The balloons are great, except that if you close a balloon, switch to another file, then switch back, the balloon is reopened which gets annoying really quickly. There needs to be a way to say "I fixed, so stop telling me about it already."

What bugs me are the Warning balloons that pop-up every single time you compile. The error balloons are annoying IMHO, but the warning dialogs…
Hairball183 Wrote:What bugs me are the Warning balloons that pop-up every single time you compile. The error balloons are annoying IMHO, but the warning dialogs…
Solution: Add -Werror to your cflags.
Huh???AnnoyedSad
Sage
Hairball183 Wrote:Huh???AnnoyedSad

I think that was a joke. I believe that will treat warnings as errors, thus making all the warnings go away. Wink

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Otherwise interpreted as you should eliminate warnings wherever possible. If it truly is something you can't avoid, you should disable that warning.

Alternatively, you can go under the "Build" portion of the preferences and set the bubbles to off, errors only, or warnings and errors. But warnings are there for a reason, and should be fixed.
I abhor XCode. Take the time you would normally use battling it and use it to learn scons. Really, it's the best option.

And yes, XCode does manage to mess up jam's usability.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Skorche Wrote:I think that was a joke. I believe that will treat warnings as errors, thus making all the warnings go away. Wink

What? I'm a newbie! You can't play jokes on me! I might actually try it!!!!LOLRaspWacko

Quote:Otherwise interpreted as you should eliminate warnings wherever possible. If it truly is something you can't avoid, you should disable that warning.

Alternatively, you can go under the "Build" portion of the preferences and set the bubbles to off, errors only, or warnings and errors. But warnings are there for a reason, and should be fixed.

The thing it keeps warning me about is that I have my main() property set to "void" instead on "int".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SVN: Terminal or XCode... Nevada 8 5,444 Aug 5, 2007 01:35 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister
  Compiling in the Terminal Nick 5 3,154 Sep 8, 2005 04:28 PM
Last Post: Nick
  /sw/lib/libcurl.2.dylib to /usr/lib/??? (terminal...???) BinarySpike 10 6,449 May 2, 2005 10:05 AM
Last Post: BinarySpike