Noise generator

Born from my frustration with photoshop's clouds filter, I created my own perlin noise generator a few months ago. I've found it useful for many different parts of game shader and image development, and have decided to clean it up for public use.

It would be great to hear what you might want in a noise generator. I know exactly what I want, but more often than not, that is not what others want!

So if you have any requests for what you would like in a perlin noise generating application, please let me know. It's about half way through development and will be released next month.

You can find out more about it at the FluidNoise website

Cheers
David

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Quote this message in a reply
Looking at the screenshots on your page, you are missing a very important feature (especially for the crowd on this site): periodicity. You should add an option to change how the resampling function works at the edges. By dealing with edges by using a floating point modulo instead of clamping, your noise becomes periodic. This makes the resulting noise tileable, and is actually one of the really nice things about photoshop's filter.

The other thing that would be missing for me is a reason. I use Perlin noises all the time. However, one of the main reason I use them is that they provide insanely great compression. What would be really cool for me would be to use your tool to preview a given noise, and then export a "noise parameters" file that would be interpreted by a library you would provide to generate the image at load-time.

Mind you, I may not really be your target market...
That looks awesome, I'll definitely take a look at it once its released. I use photoshops render clouds filter all of the time, but I'm always wishing it had more options/parameters.
Thanks for the comments.

I think that what you're calling periodicity is what I mean by tiling. It will definitely support tiling, I just haven't added the checkbox yet.

Thats a great idea having a library that generates the images on the fly. I'm pretty sure I'll do that, Cheers!

what do you do for the randomness? generate a new pseudo-random number generator every time?

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Nayr Wrote:what do you do for the randomness? generate a new pseudo-random number generator every time?

There will be a random seed text field and button, which will generate a new seed whenever you request it. I figure you don't want the result to change it's look underneath you, but need the control to use the same seed at a later date, and try different seeds for a different look whenever you want to.

So given the same seed and control values, it will look the same, but it will look very different each time you change the seed.

Luminary
Probably want to use a custom PRNG if you're going to provide an embeddable library. People don't necessarily want you calling rand() behind their backs Smile
Thats a good point. Now using Mersenne Twister.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Simplex noise bug DoG 1 2,206 Aug 16, 2009 02:10 AM
Last Post: DoG
  Reason for noise instead of texture? Cochrane 2 2,133 Mar 20, 2006 12:00 PM
Last Post: Cochrane
  OpenGL Source Code Generator Leisure Suit Lurie 2 3,952 Jul 5, 2005 11:55 AM
Last Post: Cochrane