Where To Start for Graphics

Nibbie
Hey,
I am sorry if this question gets asked all of the time, but I need to be pointed in the right direction to learn how to program the graphics for my planned game. I am just not sure what technology I even need to study. My game idea is fairly simple, a marble on a board. You tilt the board, the marble rolls. It will not be 3D, just flat images (but maybe with shadows, so you can tell which way the board is tilted). What is the best way to draw these images? I will be programming in Objective-C/Cocoa. Should I use Quartz, OpenGL, or some other graphics engine? What is the difference between them? Right now, I am a little hesitant to buy books as Xcode 3.0 and Objective-C 2.0 just came out so I would like to wait to make sure the books are up to date. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

TTFN
Bridger Maxwell
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Sounds like a real-time game, so either CoreAnimation (if you don't mind being Leopard-only) or OpenGL. OpenGL's the "safer" bet, as it lets you extend into 3D if you want later, and is cross-platform, and is a mature technology. CoreAnimation's pretty cool though, and Apple has some neat sample code for it: http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/Ge...index.html
Quote this message in a reply