Subversion Server Setup on OSX.

I used to have my subversion server on an Ubuntu server but that machine has gone to digital heaven. I'm now trying to put what I had on the Ubuntu machine on my Mac Mini. (OSX 10.5.1)

The issues:
Anyone have links on how to set up svnserve as a deamon so that it starts every time the machine is restarted instead of me having to manually start it up?

Anyone know any links on how to install the apache module on OSX so that I can provide web SVN access?

Any comments on the default apache server of OSX? Should I be upgrading or is the one with the install good enough?

Thanks for any help. Ubuntu was sort of simple to get things working but I'm at a loss as to how OSX is doing things. Isn't it Debian based?
Quote this message in a reply
I've used Trac on past projects, seems to work well.
Luminary
Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD, not that that means anything useful in this context. Ubuntu is based on Debian.

You don't say whether you're on Tiger or Leopard; the instructions vary wildly based on which you prefer (Leopard comes with Subversion and Apache 2, Tiger comes with neither)

You say you want svnserve running as a daemon, but then you say you want to serve via apache; the two are alternatives, not two parts of the same solution. Other alternatives are ssh or local (file://) access.

I suggest you decide what you actually want to achieve, tell us what system you're working with, then ask again Wink
I'm on 10.5.1 which is Leopard (?)

Yes, I want a local svnserve deamon running on one repository (local access only) and a web based svn serving a different repository (for external access). So yes, two different methods.

Does 10.5 come with the svn-webdav (whatchamacallit) already or do I need to pull it down somehow and install it? I wish there were some easy way to figure out what is already preinstalled for the apache server. I kind of hate admin work but it's a necessary evil.
Luminary
Leopard comes with Apache 2, which is good, Xcode 3 comes with svn, svnadmin, svnserve, etc. which is good. The Xcode 3 release notes say that "you can use mod_dav_svn with Apache", but I'm not entirely certain what that means. It doesn't look like mod_dav_svn comes with either the OS or the developer tools, so you'll likely need to install it from source.

To set up svnserve as a daemon, you'll need to look into creating a "LaunchDaemon" for use with launchctl.

Apache configuration is in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf.
OneSadCookie Wrote:..."you can use mod_dav_svn with Apache", but I'm not entirely certain what that means. It doesn't look like mod_dav_svn comes with either the OS or the developer tools, so you'll likely need to install it from source.

Any links on how to do this? Coming from Ubuntu all I had to do was use Apt-Get or the graphical Synaptec which would pull practically everything down and install it properly. Is there some sort of equivalent with OSX?

OneSadCookie Wrote:To set up svnserve as a daemon, you'll need to look into creating a "LaunchDaemon" for use with launchctl.

Ah ha. This I didn't know. Found a few links on the internet about a template plist I need to toss in Library/LaunchDaemons/ so that svnserve launches at startup. Unfortunately I've had no luck in getting it to actually work this way. I'm getting frustrated. I think I'll go do something else for a while before getting back at this. For now, I'll just have a terminal script that I need to run every time the machine reboots. Far from ideal but my patience is at a limit.
Luminary
Zekaric Wrote:Any links on how to do this? Coming from Ubuntu all I had to do was use Apt-Get or the graphical Synaptec which would pull practically everything down and install it properly. Is there some sort of equivalent with OSX?

Not really. MacPorts is kinda like Portage/PkgSrc, but it loves adding new unofficial versions of the system's default components, and whether it works on any given day is a crap-shoot.

Building from source is probably a matter of ./configure --somestuff; make; sudo make install. The --somestuff is the trick Wink

Quote:Found a few links on the internet about a template plist I need to toss in Library/LaunchDaemons/ so that svnserve launches at startup. Unfortunately I've had no luck in getting it to actually work this way. I'm getting frustrated. I think I'll go do something else for a while before getting back at this. For now, I'll just have a terminal script that I need to run every time the machine reboots. Far from ideal but my patience is at a limit.

You know you have to ask launchctl to load the script the first time, just putting it in the right place isn't enough? Once it's loaded once it seems it'll start at boot thereafter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Server migration Carlos Camacho 6 3,435 Dec 9, 2008 04:19 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Preliminary setup questions/Introductions phyriall 4 2,686 Oct 31, 2007 04:32 PM
Last Post: ferum
  running one's own web server on OSX. WhatMeWorry 9 4,008 Dec 15, 2006 03:09 PM
Last Post: WhatMeWorry