Time for a new contest

Founder
I'm working with a vendor to obtain a copy of Shade 3D Pro (about $900), along with its two lower versions. Shade 3D is one of the most popular 3D programs in Japan for creating graphic assets for games. You'll find it at most of the large developers. (http://mirye.net/index.php/shade-10-overview).
It may be that I can talk one or two more vendors to provide something. I'd like to sound you all out first though... no sense running a contest of two people.

* Would you join?
* How long to run it for?
* Any scope for the games in terms of size? Genre? Tools?
* Should we include iPhone/iPad/iTouch games? (I don't have any of these devices so I don't know how to judge them)
* Do you prefer a predetermined panel of judges (like 21 days later.. though not always easy to find judges) or public voting? If public, would Seth be able to code his voting system?* or do we simply use the forum or should I setup 'BuddyPress'? (http://www.buddypress.org Seems like a nice tool for this)
* Would source code be required?

Goal of the contest is to have fun, utilize the winning prize(s), get new devs into our community/contests. I'd also like to keep it as simple as possible yet interesting enough to appeal to the community to take part in.

*It would be a good way to test your previous system and if it goes well, we can adopt for future uDevGames.

Regards,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
If you are serious about the myBB switch, I would not hold this until you are certain the forum transition has been completed smoothly. Site outages with less predictable cause ruined previous competitions.
I think right now is less than ideal timing for a contest, since iPad should be coming out near the end of this month and I expect that will be a mess of an affair for a couple months afterward. I know for sure I can't participate in the contest because of that.

On first thought, iPod/iPad games would be logistically difficult. I suppose you could limit judging to a panel of judges through ad hoc, and general public could look at the games through simulator builds or something. An iPod/iPad contest would be huge though if you could pull it off. Everyone is in desperate need of exposure, so winning a contest could and would mean big bucks to the winner from the exposure alone, so contest prizes would probably only need to be minimal.

[adding] I agree with OSC and DoG though, there would need to be much preparation before doing another contest.
DoG
Considering that udevgames.com isn't even up at the moment, I agree with OSC. There a ton of issues that should be sorted out before even thinking of the next contest hosted by idevgames.
However, I would say a "Everything's up and running and migrated, let's celebrate" contest sounds like a great idea. Could we set a tentative date to have uDev back up and iDev's forums migrated, see if we reach that goal, and if so have a contest a couple weeks afterwards?
As for what AnotherJake said, I agree that including the iPhone OS in the contest would be cool, a panel of judges would be required, though I would still have some prizes to draw people in etc.
Alex
I'd be interested in participating in a contest sometime soon. We have a break coming up in some of our work and have an idea for a game. But if it's not soon, we'll start on it soon anyway.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
Founder
Quote:If you are serious about the myBB switch, I would not hold this until you are certain the forum transition has been completed smoothly.
Ok, noted. Wise advice.

Quote:I think right now is less than ideal timing for a contest, since iPad should be coming out near the end of this month
You mean that is going to keep people busy updating their games?
Bah, who wants and iPad when the iBoard (http://i.imgur.com/NjjkM.jpg) represents true progress!

Quote:On first thought, iPod/iPad games would be logistically difficult.
OK, I defer to you experts as I am too poor to own these devices.

Quote:Considering that udevgames.com
Oi, when you see something like that, you should send an email! (DB seems to be borked when they moves us over... working on fixing it.)

Quote:I'd be interested in participating in a contest sometime soon.
Cool. As I said, 'simple'. I'm thinking like 21-Days later or 3DU in scope.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:I'm working with a vendor to obtain a copy of Shade 3D Pro (about $900), along with its two lower versions. Shade 3D is one of the most popular 3D programs in Japan for creating graphic assets for games. You'll find it at most of the large developers. (http://mirye.net/index.php/shade-10-overview).
It may be that I can talk one or two more vendors to provide something. I'd like to sound you all out first though... no sense running a contest of two people.

* Would you join?
I'd love to. It is always a question of the right time. For me, april-may would probably be fine. I've been stalling on releasing my game engine, and building a contest contribution would kind of be a good reason to make those final touches.
Quote:* How long to run it for?
Not too long. If it is short, and still hits a good time slot, then you just have to finish in a short time. With long time, you know everybody will make amazing games and you fear making a fool of yourself by making something simple.
Quote:* Any scope for the games in terms of size? Genre? Tools?
As long as I can use FPC, LWP and my game libraries, I am happy. Smile
Quote:* Should we include iPhone/iPad/iTouch games? (I don't have any of these devices so I don't know how to judge them)
I would expect more interest, but they are a bit hard to distribute. Maybe demand that they run nicely in the iPhone emulator?
Quote:* Do you prefer a predetermined panel of judges (like 21 days later.. though not always easy to find judges) or public voting? If public, would Seth be able to code his voting system?* or do we simply use the forum or should I setup 'BuddyPress'? (http://www.buddypress.org Seems like a nice tool for this)
I prefer judges. Public voting sometimes tends to measure the number of pals you can convince to visit the page more than the quality of the contributions.
Quote:* Would source code be required?
Not necessarily.
Quote:Goal of the contest is to have fun, utilize the winning prize(s), get new devs into our community/contests.
My goal would be "get your fat ass moving and write a game now!"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mini-contest: Time & Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 14,904 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007