Leopard Usage

Sage
  • Really a big fan of Quick Look. It's fast and unobtrusive.
  • The UI changes are bizarre and arbitrary, but they don't really bother me as much as I expected. Though I can't use half of my favorite desktop photos due to the stupid transparent menu bar.
  • Spaces is useless. I've never liked virtual desktops. I was hoping the Expose-like would work out well, but it didn't. Definetly the least functional desktop pager I've ever used.
  • Spotlight is responsive enough to use as an app launcher. Yay
  • Spotlight searches are actually useful now. Yay.
  • Classic is dead? ... Damn. I still have a couple of classic programs that I keep around for posterity. Hmm.
  • The new icons suck. They don't look too bad I guess, but you can't tell the special ones apart.
  • Dislike Stacks. You end up with an icon in your doc that is never the same. I'm moving my downloads back onto my desktop thank you.
  • Time Machine? Meh. I don't need versioned backups. Could care less.
  • Screen Sharing!! Finally a VNC client that works. <3
  • Cover flow? Pfft. What a waste of screen space. I'll take quick look thank you.
  • Tabbed terminals? Meh. The one program that I've never cared for tabs on. Customizable terminal styles? WTF?

I guess I'm pretty happy with it. Not a life changing upgrade for sure, but I didn't expect it to be.

Now Vista, there is an OS that has opened my eyes. It's got all these neat features like effectively locking a file if any program has it open. Moving or deleting things in Explorer is always fun. Half of the time it either fails miserably, or just takes 20 seconds to move a single file to the recycle bin. They also did a really good job with the UI. Lot of forced scrolling and UI widgets that fade out, and then don't come back.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Quote this message in a reply
I had forgotten about the loss of my scanner. I've got an HP 3030 muli-function printer / scanner /fax.

I can print fine but not scan. My current work around is to launch Windows via Parallels and scan in that.

I've not got my head around the multiple desktop idea. I have all the apps I need open on my desktop with what I'm working on at the front. What difference does it make if something is hidden behind it or on another Space which I cannot see any way?
DoG
For those people thinking time machine is useless: Its existence is completely justified by the Boot Camp Assistant's quirks alone.

Also, time machine has its quirks, but once you have it running its simple and painless, at least the backing up part. A full restore involves a bit of voodoo, but it can be done.

To me, the improved spotlight is the only other really useful thing. Everything else just seems to be a heap of quirks and bad UI choices, unfortunately.
After circumventing a few misfeatures, I'm really liking Leopard a lot.
  • Time Machine alleviates my data loss worries.
  • I really like the UI consistency.
  • Trackpad scrolling in Safari (and elsewhere) is a lot smoother than in Tiger.
  • Cover Flow and Quick Look are handy for browsing large folders of images.
  • I can finally turn off the file extension change warning!
  • The version of irb that's installed by default plays nice with arrow keys. Tiger's didn't.
  • New settings for the zoom feature (only move screen image when the pointer reaches an edge).
I'm still on the fence about Spaces. They're handy for some things, but there are a lot of bugs and annoyances. I'm really not sold on Stacks... They clutter up my Dock, and don't really work like I'd want them to.

Things I don't like:
  • Transparent menu bar. I circumvented it with a custom desktop background that has an appropriately-sized white rectangle at the top. Rasp
  • 3D Dock. It doesn't bother me all that much, but I preferred the old style. Circumvented with defaults write com.apple.dock no-glass -boolean YES.
  • Can't create subclasses directly in Interface Builder 3. Cry
  • Having to manually set up view preferences (icon vs. list) in each individual folder where I want a consistent view.
  • Xcode 3's hammer is backward. Rasp
Personally, I think most of the new features in Leopard are great in theory, especially spaces, but every last one falls flat on its face because of serious bugs and stability problems.

• Spaces continually gets wacked out and starts opening windows and apps in the wrong space, or throws me out of my current space, and when I switch spaces, I have about a 50/50 chance of the computer switching me over, and then switching me right back.
• Stacks would work much better if it was hierarchal; if I click on a folder in stacks, I want it to open a new stack similar to a menu, not open a finder window containing the folder!
• Time machine ate the entirety of a 500gb HD with the contents of single 100gb HD; I don't know how it did it but I was PO'd.
• System Update hosed my system so bad, even trying to reinstall Leopard from the disc would just cause it to crash and lock-up. It took downgrading to Tiger and then back up to Leopard to make it work again.
• Save/Load sheet takes over 5 minutes to load the first time it is used inside each application. I don't know why, but it's ridiculous to go to save a text-file, and then wait five minutes while the system tries and opens the Save/Load sheet.

There's a lot more but you get my point.
I haven't had most of the bugs you guys have mentioned. I wonder if most of you are using Intel machines?

I personally love Leopard. QuickLook is actually useful. Spotlight is finally useful. Spaces work pretty well. Safari's really fast. The new Finder is an improvement. The Developer Tools are decent. Mail's really fast.

The only bugs I've really had are one with Safari and one or two with Mail and none of them were show-stoppers.
I like spaces. At first, I was a little skeptical. Until I assigned the apps to spaces. So, image editors and 3d modelers to a space. Browser and mail to another space. Xcode and BBedit to another space. Really reduces the clutter. Things just fly out of the way when they need to.

I suppose Dashboard is its own little space too but I hardly use it.

I have not used Time Machine yet. But it appears on by default. So, when I pop in my firewire drive it appears to override the expected behavior and I get some kind of weird time machine dialog.
The RSS feed problems I was having have sorted themselves out.

I logged on to my iMac that is still running Tiger and after it did an update sync to .Mac the RSS feeds on Leopard started working again. So it looks like this was caused by .Mac rather than Leopard itself.
DoG
Justin Brimm Wrote:• Time machine ate the entirety of a 500gb HD with the contents of single 100gb HD; I don't know how it did it but I was PO'd.

With time machine, you have to make sure to exclude certain things, like Parallel's virtual HD, as that is a single big file, and TM will copy the whole of it for every single change. The situation is similar with some email clients which store the emails in a monolithic database file, incomplete torrents, and so on. Also, time machine is supposed to fill up the backup HD, and it will delete old content to make room for new stuff.

But yea, its these little gotchas that make Leopard less appealing than it could be.
Another of my Leopard problems has now been resolved. I can finally use iCal after I got the .Mac syncing working for it.

Photoshop 7 is now my only real problem Sad
Sage
The worst thing about 10.5 is:
Are you sure you want to open this program ?? it was downloaded from the internet and also it does this for source code in some programming languages which is really really annoying.

I miss it not doing this which was a good thing about 10.4, at least they stopped it complaining about changing a files extension though.. not sure which error message is more irritating..

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
⌘-R in Chief
BeyondCloister Wrote:Photoshop 7 is now my only real problem Sad

Mine too. Mad
I don't have leopard yet personally, but we have it on the 4 new iMacs we got for the journalism class (the 20" glossy display are absolutely beautiful, btw.)
I haven't had many issues with it. Stacks are much less cool or useful than they looked when Jobs intoduced them. I don't like the transparent menu bar very much either, there's just is no substance to it, you know? Those are really my only 2 complains though.
only major feature that I like and wouldn't want to live without is Quicklook
Nibbie
Spaces: I still like Desktop Manager [http://desktopmanager.berlios.de/] far better then spaces. I haven't tried it in leo yet so I don't know if its compatible. For my full screen apps like blender I mod the plist to hide the dock/menu bar and then zoom the window to full screen. Desktop Manager never had a problem with this but spaces will resize the fullscreen window based on the previous apps menu bar/dock placement when switching applications that changes what space I am in.

Stacks: I wish I could scroll through the items using the mouse wheel in either view instead of being capped off and then having to open the folder to get what I want. I also would like that when you open up a folder in a stack it closes its parent folder and opens up the selected folder in a grid layout stack window. I remember doing this with Classic Mac OS by holding a key combo that probably still works in X to close the parent window, but I still would have to double click and then close the window once I've located my document.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can I update from Leopard to Snow Leopard without losing my certificates? riruilo 3 3,468 Aug 3, 2010 05:01 PM
Last Post: riruilo
  Mac OS X 10.6 - Snow Leopard funkboy 37 14,382 Sep 23, 2009 07:48 PM
Last Post: ferum