What was your first game?

I just went through a lot of old posts while looking for MMORPG posts to add to my DEVONthink database, purely for amusement's sake. It got me all nostalgic, hence this thread.

My first game, if I remember correctly, was a simple text-based Pokémon-like battle game written in TrueBASIC.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Quote this message in a reply
Guess the Integer in the Given Range!
And the truly evil one, Guess the Double-Precision Floating Point Number! made quite difficult to to rounding. Both of these were written in C.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
It was a craps game written over twenty years ago on the TRS-80 CoCo.
Sea Strike on the CBM PET. Sold exactly one copy as a classmate paid me £5 to write it Smile
⌘-R in Chief
The first real game I made was a HyperCard stack which had a bunch of buttons with black and white pictures of bees on them that would jump around the window, and you had to click on them to kill them.

It was soooooo rad.
Sage
A choose your own adventure game in Hypercard that I made in like 4th grade. It involved sending probes/rovers/submersibles to other planets in search of some magic crystal or something. The details are a bit fuzzy. Inspired by an educational laserdisc game that I had seen.

I hadn't read the Hypercard manual yet, so I only knew how to make buttons that sent you to other cards. Sadly, I have no idea what happened to all of my Hypercard stuff. I think I still have it all on a Zipâ„¢ disk somewhere.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
Haha, my game was a zork clone, written in microsoft qbasic. Basically, you would see a poorly written and horribly misspelt description of a room... then you'd choose a cardinal direction. If you picked the wrong one.. you died Grin

It was when we just got our LC II... and I was 7 at the time.

Wow... I've come so far... or have I?
Skorche Wrote:A choose your own adventure game in Hypercard...

Ohhhh, Hypercard! I found a stack on my hard drive Grin I can't open it, but I can pull some text out.

Code:
answer "Hello, Cannon! Do you have my ruby?" with "No" or "Yes"
if it is "Yes" then
answer "YOU DO NOT HAVE MY RUBY LIAR!" with "Opps"
else
answer "Then please find it." with "I'll do it"
end if

Oh, here's another:
Code:
on mouseUp
answer "Tell me the code (type it in the box)" with "Retreat" or "Okey doky"
if it is "Retreat" then
end if
if it is "Okey doky" then
if card field "Die" is 369 then
play harpsichord tempo 200 "g3e. g4e. g5h. a5e g4e. g3e."
go to card 10
else
answer "You Died!" with "(sob)"
if it is "(sob)" then
play harpsichord "c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c"
play harpsichord "c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c d"
flash 100
play harpsichord "c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c d"
flash 100
go home
end if
end if
end if
end mouseUp
My first would have to be ascii random encounters in a maze of like five rooms in Microsoft Basic 1.0 S2 on the Mattel Aquarius.

Its a MMORPG I'm still working on today, for the Aquarius' comeback!

Nostalgia...This past summer I processed the scans for the Aquarius Extended Basic Manual and converted
the 8 bit characters to these 128x128 graphics. That and hacking at code on an emulator running another emulator
to make a few movies cured my nostalgia for a few months just fine.

Until the big comeback of course.
Very first? A BMP file (back then I was still using Windows), with a dark blue background and some shapes in a slightly lighter blue on it. You had to zoom in and try and find them all (and fill them in red). Of course, I wasn't older than eight at the time.

The first real game, quite a few years later, was some typical evade-asteroids game, made as a Java applet. I just found it lurking in some hidden part of my homepage, you can try it at http://ferroequinologist.de/software/jav.../index.php if you're really masochistic.
Sage
In 1994 I wrote a scorched-earth clone for my TI-85. It only supported two tanks, but the ground deformed when shots hit it. It was pretty cool, actually. That being said, the built-in programming language for the TI-85 had no concept of scope -- all variables were global, for god's sake. It was numbingly hard to work around.

In 1995 I wrote an arkanoid clone for DOS wirtten in C ( I was migrating from Pascal on System 6 to my spanking new pentium with a copy or borland's c compiler for DOS ), with some asm for mouse input and VGA framebuffer access.
My first "game" was also a hypercard stack, completely constructed around the automatic "go this card" script generation. It featured you as a kind of velociraptor with a huge horn on the nose, trying to escape from a riding circus like prison.

Made about 20 cards or so with nice drawings of trees and dungeons and stuff, using the freehand polygon. (Nice in the eyes of an 11 year old)

PS for AndyKorth: try RunRev, it's about 90% compatible with hypercard and can open most of them just fine, even if certain stuff is not included (for example the midi playing).

PPS: sadly, i don't have the dinosaur stack anymore Sad
Before games, I used to just make title screens using a program called Modern Artist. I used to pretend which ones were popular and got sequels, and had about 150-200 total. (This would have been like 2nd grade.)

First INTERACTIVE game was in Hypercard. I had a bunch of point-and-click adventure games starting in 5th grade that were sadly all lost in a hard drive failure. Earliest game I have backed up (thanks to uploading to AOL) was the ORIGINAL Kill Dr. Cote, a Hypercard action game. You only had a laser, but you could still kill dudes, and earn money to upgrade your speed/firepower.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
My first game experiment was a dice rolling game in SuperCard.

First released game for Classic Mac OS was Thrones, and over-ambitious RTT title which took way too long. Followed it up with a much simpler game called Vortex, a 360 degree Breakout clone (both are available here at the bottom of the page)
Boy, this is a tough one. I remember having created a huge number of HyperCard stacks back in the day, but I'm not sure which one I'd call my first game.

I suppose one of the earliest "finished" ones would have been a graphical, interactive adaptation of the bedtime stories my mother used to tell me about some of my stuffed animals. I was about 10 or 11, and we had found an audio tape from years ago with one of the stories recorded on it. Collaborating with my sister, we started drawing and writing scripts, and before long, we had a pretty darn cool stack that told the whole story from beginning to end. It was a bit like those educational games for kids where there's an ongoing story, but it pauses to let you click around and explore. Man, that brings back some memories...