What languages do you need for a MMORPG?

Apprentice
Hi! I am new to these forums and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I have been searching everywhere on the internet and I can't find the following anwsers anywhere.

My question is, what are the best launguages to program a MMORPG? What is best for the back end part (MySQL?), the middle part (C++?), and the GUI. What works best to make images, Photoshop? What are ALL the programs and languages you need to know to create a working MMORPG?

Also what is better for this task and why, Java or C++?

I am not creating a MMORPG, I'm just extremely interested in what it takes in creating one. I can't find anywhere ALL the languages you need to put together to create a working MMORPG and so I'm coming to you guys in desperation. Please let me know! Thanks.

-Lost
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
It totally doesn't matter.

What's more important is a team of 50+ people and a budget of millions.
OneSadCookie Wrote:It totally doesn't matter.

What's more important is a team of 50+ people and a budget of millions.

He lies. The best language for a MMORPG is METAL Basic.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Apprentice
Well the two things I still can't find the anwsers to are what is better to use, C++ or Java, and why. Secondly, what are all the things you need to make a MMORPG. Is just MySQL, Photoshop, and C++ enough? Or do you need more like some sort of blender for images or anything else? Thanks

-Lost

Oh Im curious about the games that people create on the internet. Not necessarily browser based, but not things like World of Warcraft or anything like that.
Luminary
Like I said, it doesn't matter.

If your app has 3D content, you'll want a 3D modeling app as well as a 2D app, a programming language or three and a database.
Yeh You're missing the point. What you need to make an MMORPG is some code and probably some images and some 3D models.

Java is no better than C++ or the other way around. It's all personal preference, and which is better to use comes down to what the coders prefer to use. Personally If I were ever to start working on an MMORPG (which I never would) I would use Ruby and Objective C.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Apprentice
You guys are very helpful thanks. I understand now Java and C++ don't make a difference. The one thing I still want to know is what you need to know for an MMORPG. Its not possible to have a functioning MMO with just C++, you need other things at a minimum like photoshop for images and things to keep a database. Isnt that right? Or am I wrong. What are those types of things one needs to know.

-Lost
May I suggest you look at some open source endeavors? Perhaps learn from your peers?

List of open source game

While I don't agree that you absolutely need 50+ people and millions to make an MMORPG, I do agree that the choice of language is better based on the experience of the developer's than on trivialities inherent in the languages themselves.
The biz now appears to be in simple web based MMO games.

Take "Club Penguin", a very simple MMO flash game aimed at kids 5-13. You basically walk around a small world talking to other penguins and competing in 6-7 very simple minigames.

Well the game-website was bought by Disney for $350 million, with potentially $350 million more... (totally overvalued but hey, they payed)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/busine...ref=slogin

And that is a game you could do by yourself with Flash and Photoshop alone in, say, a year. (Admittedly I dont know much about the server side of things but hey it can't be too hard)

So, start working Wink

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Lost22 Wrote:The one thing I still want to know is what you need to know for an MMORPG. Its not possible to have a functioning MMO with just C++, you need other things at a minimum like photoshop for images and things to keep a database. Isnt that right? Or am I wrong. What are those types of things one needs to know.

It might make more sense to think about this in abstract terms. Components you'd need:
  • Some game logic running on a server that communicates over a network to clients.
  • Some sort of persistent storage on the server.
  • A client application running on the user's computer, which communicates over a network with the server.
  • If you want graphics, you need some graphical data (or the means to generate it) and a way to display it to the user.
  • If you want sound, you need some audio data (or the means to generate it), and a way to play it to the user.
That's the whole abstract concept. In fact, graphics and audio aren't strictly part of it; there's no reason you couldn't use a purely textual interface. Since you mentioned Photoshop, I'm assuming you're thinking specifically of games with graphical interfaces. However, understand that Photoshop is merely one of an infinite set of choices for producing graphical data. The tool used is irrelevant to the final product; it's only relevant to the workflow of the creation of the product.

The same is true, though to a lesser degree, of programming languages. The end product is a set of instructions for a computer to execute. As long as the language you choose can produce the necessary instructions (networking and persistent storage I/O on the server; networking, user input, some sort of textual and/or graphical display capability, audio playing capability if needed for the client), that language could theoretically be used to implement your game.

The process of choosing the tools to create a specific game is likely to involve more considerations, of course (such as speed of execution, memory usage, ease of use, etc.), but those are particular to individual projects.
Apprentice
ThemsAllTook Wrote:It might make more sense to think about this in abstract terms. Components you'd need:
  • Some game logic running on a server that communicates over a network to clients.
  • Some sort of persistent storage on the server.
  • A client application running on the user's computer, which communicates over a network with the server.
  • If you want graphics, you need some graphical data (or the means to generate it) and a way to display it to the user.
  • If you want sound, you need some audio data (or the means to generate it), and a way to play it to the user.
That's the whole abstract concept. In fact, graphics and audio aren't strictly part of it; there's no reason you couldn't use a purely textual interface. Since you mentioned Photoshop, I'm assuming you're thinking specifically of games with graphical interfaces. However, understand that Photoshop is merely one of an infinite set of choices for producing graphical data. The tool used is irrelevant to the final product; it's only relevant to the workflow of the creation of the product.

The same is true, though to a lesser degree, of programming languages. The end product is a set of instructions for a computer to execute. As long as the language you choose can produce the necessary instructions (networking and persistent storage I/O on the server; networking, user input, some sort of textual and/or graphical display capability, audio playing capability if needed for the client), that language could theoretically be used to implement your game.

The process of choosing the tools to create a specific game is likely to involve more considerations, of course (such as speed of execution, memory usage, ease of use, etc.), but those are particular to individual projects.

Ahh ok that helps a bunch. Could you give me an example of each thing on the list just so I can be sure what you are talking about (like "some game logic...." would be an example of C++)? I understand that there are a bunch of programs and languages out there that would work just as effectively, but some of the things you mentioned I think I know what they are, I just want to be sure. Thanks!
Sure. Concrete examples (chosen more or less arbitrarily):
  • Server-side game logic implemented as a C program, using BSD sockets to communicate with clients.
  • A MySQL database for persistent server-side storage.
  • A Cocoa application written in Objective-C, using BSD sockets to communicate with the server.
  • PNG and .obj files for textures and models; client uses OpenGL to display them.
  • Ogg Vorbis audio files; client uses OpenAL to play them.
Apprentice
Thanks. This helps a lot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  High and Low Level Languages FlamingHairball 22 10,695 Jan 8, 2008 10:23 PM
Last Post: PowerMacX
  Re-introduction of low level languages? Duane 4 3,358 Oct 30, 2007 03:10 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Pros and Cons of Different Languages Blacktiger 40 15,388 Aug 2, 2007 09:36 PM
Last Post: richard
  Some questions on languages from a new guy (...beginners) ProfessorApe 20 8,148 Jan 24, 2007 03:10 PM
Last Post: leRiCl
  Embedding Scripting Languages Tutorials Nick 18 7,633 Apr 13, 2006 09:53 PM
Last Post: kelvin