Leopard Going Fullscreen Reboots Suddenly

I'll toggle into full screen in my Cocoa OpenGL app and *poof* everything goes black and I hear the startup bong. I've had this happen twice today, once this morning and once just a bit ago. I'm using standard display capture stuff -- the same code from GameBase framework actually (see GBView.m for specifics).

This is obviously an extremely serious OS bug since it takes down the entire system. There aren't any messages left in the sys log or anything. Earlier, I thought maybe it was a random 1.0 glitch or something, but this is twice today and *I think* both times happened just as I toggled into full screen. The one that just happened was for sure as I was toggling into full screen, but the one this morning I can't recall for certain. I did a search at Apple and only came up with a sudden reboot that happens with Keynote. I have no idea if the two are related but the Keynote one apparently happens while going into full screen as well.

I'd file this as a bug, but I'm not entirely certain of the circumstances yet, so I figured it was worth posting here first to see if anyone's heard anything about it.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
What hardware do you have? There are many known problems with graphics drivers for GeForce 8600M, Radeon 2600HD and GMA X3100, though I wasn't aware of this issue.
This is a CoreDuo Mac Mini GMA950. (New MacBook w/X3100 doesn't get here 'til day after tomorrow Sad

There are two things I can think of that might be relevant. 1) I was running GIMP at the time. That's through X11 of course, and I've noticed that X11 windows don't seem to like Spaces, which might be relevant somehow and 2) I think I might be using a Tiger build of my windowing framework, I'll rebuild it to be sure. Still, nothing should take down the system under any circumstances.
AnotherJake Wrote:Still, nothing should take down the system under any circumstances.

Not eaven a nuculuear attak?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:Not eaven a nuculuear attak?

Hehe... Only the Cockroaches would know if it went down then!

One more thing I can think of that might be unusual about my system is that I'm using FinderPop to help mitigate the brain-dead decision of Apple removing right-clickable folders from the Dock. I don't know how that could tie in, but it *might* use a kernel level hack to do what it does.
Yeah, okay, happened a third time just now. Must've gone full screen 30 times since last reboot surprise. This time the last log message was FinderPop trying to patch something to do with my program about 30 seconds before failure. I'll leave FinderPop off for now and see if it happens without it. If it doesn't then that must be it and I'll shoot Turly an email to see if he has any clue (the current FinderPop is a Leopard beta version after all). Otherwise, it's at least definitely confirmed to be happening right at the switch to full screen. I should do some log messages right around the full screen code to try to narrow it down a bit I suppose...
Do you see this happening with other games, too, or just yours?

Of course, I'm thinking of my own game that I am releasing in 2 days, but if it is an OS bug, I would think you would be seeing it with lots of other fullscreen games...
GolfHacker Wrote:Do you see this happening with other games, too, or just yours?
No, it's just my game, but I haven't switched into full screen thirty times with others, and it had happened only once every six hours or so yesterday. This morning I made a fresh rebuild of my base windowing framework on Leopard to be certain of that, and also added some log strings around the full screen code in hopes that something might actually get flushed to the log in time. Further, I turned off the 3rd-party app I was using, called FinderPop. Today I have had no sudden reboots (yet). I'm also making sure that GIMP is running in the background to help reproduce the conditions.

So if things continue to work okay for a day or two then I will assume that one of the three main things that I changed was the culprit:

1) FinderPop is the prime suspect at the moment, but I don't want to point fingers just yet

2) Scheduling might have changed because of the log strings I added, but I have no idea about how all that works

3) I guess there is a possibility that the windowing framework needed to be built and linked in Leopard, not coming from a Tiger build for whatever reason

So then I would need to start changing each of those three things back, one at a time, to get it to eff up again. Tough bug to reproduce, given the time between incidents. Plus I'm expecting a new MacBook tomorrow morning so I don't know how much pounding on this machine I will get to do, although I will set up conditions on the new machine to see if I can reproduce it there too.