Who wants to help me balance a segway? ( fun, I hope )

Sage
All this, yet nobody wants to help me balance my segway! LOL
Quote this message in a reply
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:All this, yet nobody wants to help me balance my segway! LOL
There IS NO WAY we can balance a segway if we can't agree on rads/degs! ... Wink

You *are* using metric though aren't you? Sneaky
DoG
I tried fiddling with this a bit, but I don't get it how the bloody motors work. Do I have to set targetRate? Can't I just set the torque I want directly? Because, having an unknown type of controller trying to adjust the motor's speed behind the scenes isn't exactly helpful.
Sage
You can set torque and target rate.

someMotor.setTorque( ... )
someMotor.setTargetRate(... )

I thought I included that in the readme. If I didn't sorry.
DoG
What I mean is that just setting torque doesn't seem to do anything, if I don't set the target rate, which i really don't want to do, as the physics should take care of spinning up the motors in response to the torque.
Sage
I see. I think my concept of torque is different than yours, and since I have no engineering background, mine's probably incorrect.

My "motor" is a shim around ODE's motor type, where you specify rotation rate, and how much torque to apply to maintain that rate. If you set a rate of 2pi, it will rotate once per second. But if your torque is zero, it won't rotate at all. All torque is -- in this case -- is the force being applied to reach the target rate.
DoG
Well, this sucks, then. Possibly, this is also why the control scheme fails so badly. I tried emulating pure torque based control, but it causes pretty bad instabilities.

Can you possibly replace the ODE motor by something that simply applies a torque (or two opposing forces on a hinge that create torque) to a hinge or something?
Sage
It's worth looking into. Thanks.
yea, can't help. no intel machine.

I can, however, interject every now and then to offer inspirational comments to boost morale!

It's not magic, it's Ruby.