Gma X3100

Luminary
It seems the card is a DX9/SM3 card, not a DX10/SM4 card, so no geometry shaders (oh noes). It should support floating-point textures, though, and the current driver doesn't.

As Arekkusu says, file bugs for anything you want. It hurts nobody to do so, and it sends a clear message to Apple that people do care about these things.
Quote this message in a reply
Well I don't know if it's (entirely) the X3100 or not, but for real-time OpenGL this new MacBook (2 GHz Core 2 Duo X3100) is *significantly* faster than my Mac Mini (1.66 GHz Core Duo GMA950). Hardware vertex processing must be the main performance booster. I haven't looked at anything else yet, but I tried a little test project and here's what I got:

For both full screen and windowed:
- using VBOs
- OpenGL MP engine enabled
- 39482 triangles

Full screen 1280 x 800:
Mac Mini: 35 fps
New MacBook: 60 fps (could be limited by hardware refresh rate, but no difference if vbl synch disabled)

Windowed 865 x 540:
Mac Mini: 30 fps CPU usage ~88%
MacBook: 35-60 fps (lots of fluctuation) CPU usage ~50%
Luminary
That's... well, unimpressive, but well worthwhile, I guess Smile

Did you try disabling vsync in the windowed case? 30-60fps fluctuation sounds like it could be vsync phasing...
Yeah, forgot to turn off VBL in windowed and didn't even think about the pattern I was seeing. Now it's trying to hang on between 55 and 60 fps in windowed. Not exactly a barn burner, but definitely much better. It's kinda sad that my old Dual G4 with Geforce4 MX does 75 fps, even with 4k more triangles in the same scene...Sad
My god.

First post in a long time, but I just upgraded to a new MacBook and am shocked and dismayed at how poor the video card is in this machine. Apple should be ashamed to ship this.

It can't keep up with any of the effects in photo booth or iChat. The iTunes visualizer has abominable fps. I get lower fps on Urban Terror than I did on my 3 year old iBook G4 that had a Nvidia with 64MB VRAM. It has yet to successfully even run a game in Boot Camp (HL2 and Project Snowblind being my first two tries).

I'm seriously considering returning it. This is really shoddy - I can't believe Apple is selling this garbage - a brand new mac should run the newest OS smoothly. And my old iBook shouldn't outperform my new mac. Ridiculous.
So I did some serious Googling and found new drivers for the X3100. I guess I had assumed that, given Leopard is about 3wks old and this mac even newer, Apple was shipping the newest XP drivers on its disk. Not the case.

Went from completely unplayable/crashing to exactly what I wanted/expected: high settings on 3-4 year old games that I never had a chance to play.

Now the mac driver issue is still unforgivable. Bad drivers or not, Apple shouldn't ship a mac with poor drivers. If I wanted to even think about drivers, I'd buy a PC. Arekkusu: Don't you work in Apple's Graphics Hardware division? Any insider info on a better X3100 driver?
Sage
I work in OpenGL-- mostly the framework and the software renderer, not the hardware drivers.

As I said earlier, my advice is to log bugs. Early and often. Be specific.