Gma X3100

To the OpenGL gurus here:
- How does the GMA X3100 in the updated MacBook compares with the old GMA 950 in terms of features/speed?
- To what discrete graphics card could it considered "mostly equivalent" (if any)?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I'd like to know if it requires me to use ARB function calls like the 950, or if its driver exposes it as a 21st century video card.
I don't know but it looks like it has hardware vertex processing!

I was going to buy a MacBook a week and a half ago, but consulting MacRumors first saved me on this one! Big thumbs up to MacRumors! Grin
Is the processor 64 bit? If so, does it ship with a 64-bit OS?

It doesn't say anywhere on its page, as far as I can see.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Yes, Core 2 Duo is 64-bit, and it ships with Leopard (why wouldn't it?).
Luminary
Apparently the X3100 is somewhere in the vicinity of a Radeon X1300 in terms of speed. In terms of features, it's a DX10 card, which I assume means that it has a floating-point pixel pipeline, branching and looping in the fragment shader, and geometry shaders. It does have hardware vertex processing. In terms of OpenGL version support, Intel claims it supports OpenGL 1.5 (but they lie about the GMA 950's OpenGL version support, so take it with a grain of salt).

This is still by far the least performant graphics processor Apple is shipping, but it should be a good step up on the GMA 950.
Sage
The X3100 GLInfo is now available.
Luminary
arekkusu Wrote:The X3100 GLInfo is now available.

Great!

OSC Wrote:http://lists.apple.com/archives/mac-.../msg00013.html

Sad
Thanks for the updated info arekkusu.

OneSadCookie Wrote:http://lists.apple.com/archives/mac-open...00013.html

Cry

So are those driver issues that Apple simply has not implemented, or are they prohibited by lack of hardware capabilities on the X3100?
Hmm, there isn't yet a mac laptop that convinces me... ibooks, while ok, are oriented to the "casual" user (poor gfx card, 13 inch screen is a bit too small for working). Macbook Pro's OTOH are too expensive. I'd like a 15" mac laptop for $1500 Smile

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Sage
AnotherJake Wrote:So are those driver issues that Apple simply has not implemented, or are they prohibited by lack of hardware capabilities on the X3100?

These are issues that can be fixed in software.

I strongly encourage all of you who are programming in OpenGL to file bugs on any features you find lacking, or bugs you encounter. Filing a bug like "my application needs EXT_foo!" is a clear message from developers and does affect the prioritization of work at Apple.
What do you suggest for indirect OpenGL developers? I primarily use Unity, and would really just like whatever OpenGL related Keith Bauer, Aras Pranchevicius, Joachim Ante, and whoever else bug report post incremented++ Smile

If the squeakiest wheel does get the grease, I will be bored some night on the couch and file some "me too!" type bug reports, but does this really make sense? Can Apple just look and say if there is a bug or missing feature that affects a product like Unity, it's affecting hundreds of indirect OpenGL developers? (Who make really cool games for the Mac, of course!)

What am I to do?

Cheers,
-Jon
Will they update the Mini to this?

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Will they update the Mac Pro to this? Sneaky