Flash and information persistence

I haven't delved too far into Flash. Actually I'm just playing with it at the moment. I'm just curious, since it's web based, what is generally the most common way of storing user specific information? Let's assume it's not a multiplayer environment or game just yet. Just a simple game, wanting to store last level reached, highscores and the like.
Quote this message in a reply
You can store data on the user's computer if he lets you (by default he is asked if he lets you or not). I'm not sure about the details.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
You could use SharedObjects for limited local storage, or you could communicate to a web server and store user data remotely.
I must be missing something fundamentally simple then. Being inside a browser usually prevents you from playing with the local file system. Unless you set a cookie or something like that. I'll have to hunt around some more in the doc to see how things are done.

Web server and or database (on web server or somewhere non local) came to mind initially. Added complexity though.
Zekaric Wrote:Unless you set a cookie or something like that.
That's essentially what a SharedObject is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to make flash game without flash ? :) banker 5 7,777 Nov 14, 2006 09:15 PM
Last Post: vnvrymdreglage