Which is a better read?

I going to read one of these two books (hopefully both eventually):

Physics for Game Developers

and

Game Physics Engine Development

Does anyone have any opinions about these two? My goal is to make a 2D rigid body engine which deals with collisions detection and resting contacts, joints, and springs. Then, expand that to 3D.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
I'm sure both of 'em deal with 3D, which means that you may actually find the 3D case easier based on the book...

There's one physics book out there which uses absurd American units and spends most of its time converting between them, rather than getting on with the actual physics. Make sure you have a book that works in metric Wink
OneSadCookie Wrote:I'm sure both of 'em deal with 3D, which means that you may actually find the 3D case easier based on the book...

There's one physics book out there which uses absurd American units and spends most of its time converting between them, rather than getting on with the actual physics. Make sure you have a book that works in metric Wink
Would you mind telling me what the name of the book is? Rolleyes
Luminary
Don't remember any more, sorry Rasp
Sage
Go with the Kaufmann book, the O'Reilly book is trash.

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
OneSadCookie Wrote:I'm sure both of 'em deal with 3D, which means that you may actually find the 3D case easier based on the book...

Teaching any science in American units is a recipe for disaster... I may be American but I am quite appalled with the fact that we still use such awkward units... Sorry, a bit off topic...
Skorche Wrote:Go with the Kaufmann book, the O'Reilly book is trash.
I can confirm the O'Reilly book is not very good.
⌘-R in Chief
Roger. The O'Reilly book is written from a very mathy perspective. It could have been written a lot clearer.
Sage
It's not even that it's from a "mathy" perspective. It's a summary of a college physics text. Other than giving you some code that implements ballistics and forces on rigid bodies, you're on your own.

It doesn't teach you anything about collision detection, handling contact, or how it all fits together. You get to figure that all out on your own. (and it's the hard part.)

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
I dunno; I rather liked the o'reilly one. I used it for some simulation work with my sister's physics book, and together they were great.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'll go with "Game Physics Engine Development" Smile