Yet another newbie

Apprentice
Firstly, sorry to push yet another newbie "I want to make a game thread" on you!

I am new to iPhone development, been reading books, online tutorials and watching training videos etc, and now quite confident I'm ready to create a game, albeit a very simple one Smile. I have never created a game before, so have been lurking here for a while, reading various threads and have got a good idea of what is required.

My problem is thinking of an idea, can anyone suggest any *simple* game ideas that teach a lot about different concepts i.e. collision detection, animation etc so when I'm done, I will have a good grasp of various concepts to move on to a more intermediate game.

I was thinking a 'breakout' type game, with the paddle at the bottom and you need to smash the bricks above, in my head this appears as a simple idea but I'm not so sure...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
Yes, breakout is a good place to start.
Apprentice
Thanks Jake - any other ideas on a similar level of difficulty?

I will maybe make 2 Grin
Once you've done breakout, a simple platformer might be a good thing to try (start with just running and jumping on square blocks). There are a lot of things you'll have to figure out for it that will get you on the right path.
Asteroids is about the same level of difficulty as breakout. A platformer is a great idea too.
Apprentice
Thanks everyone, can I post the game here for people to comment on or are there rules against that? I doubt I will put my first game on the app store!
Yes, most definitely you can post your game here if you would like! Smile The Work in Progress forum is probably the best place, but we're pretty flexible if you're new at it.
Apprentice
So would you guys reconmend I jump in and try using something like cocos2d right from the off, or learn without a framework first?

If you do not think using a framework is a good idea yet, then do you have any links to any iPhone game dev tutorials without using a framework.

Just looking for the best way to learn, so like if Cocos2d ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't be stuck with no clue on how to move forward.

Suggestions are very welcome!! Sad
I think it is a very good idea to use 3rd party tools and frameworks when you are starting out. Even if you eventually want to get to the point where you wrote your own engine with your own physics code and resource handling etc, using 3rd party libraries and frameworks to start with will enable you to create some games without having to write 20,000 lines of code for window handling and image loading (or whatever) before you can see some results.
Particularly when you are new to programming (but I think this still applies later on too) it is easy to get demoralised if you never have anything to show for all the work you've put in. Completing a small game now and again enable you to learn broader principles more quickly and helps you to feel like you really are getting somewhere.

Using cocos2d to help you get up and running will help you to focus on how to structure your Breakout clone without having to worry about all the details that are going on in the background to create your window and load the image files. You might want to use your own code for these tasks later, or you might not, and there is nothing wrong with either approach, but if you try to write everything yourself immediately it will take you a long time to achieve anything at all.
And if the cocos2d people were to stop development today that doesn't stop you continuing to use their framework (although it might eventually break with an OS update). In fact, since it is open source, you could continue to develop it for your own ends if you wanted.
Yeah, sure, try out Cocos2D or something else if you can find it. There's nothing wrong with using pre-existing engines and third-party libraries if you can use them.
Apprentice
Hi, i am new a the iphone game dev also, and i have recently made a 2d game for the iphone. One resource that i found very helpful in getting started was this website http://www.71squared.com/iphone-tutorials/ it has great tutorials on how to make your own 2D game engine. (if you are still interested in doing that)
Apprentice
You can also try out the Unity Game Engine. http://unity3d.com/There's a free version and people have made iPhone games with it before. The physics on there are amazing. You can also develop games for any platform with it, not just iPhone.
milanika
Unregistered

Hi!
I didn`t want to open new thread - so here another newbie says Hi.
I`ve tryed out Cocos2D and in a few days want to represent a new game in "Work in Progress".
Hope to get some comments on it)))
Someone should probably start a sticky thread somewhere for introductions etc.

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError