Any Emacs users?

How many people here use emacs/command-line compiler?

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Quote this message in a reply
I use command line when I build software for the PSP via psp-gcc. Though, I don't really know Make Sad Probably should
I hate make; I know it's a very capable program/language, but it's also clunky.

I use SCons, personally, though CMake and rake are also very good.

I've been looking into SCons. I just haven't forced myself to learn it. Rasp
Luminary
Definitely not emacs (TextMate FTW) and I much prefer SCons to make, but yeah. I generally stay away from the nightmare that is Xcode.
Sage
I rather like Emacs for non-C coding. There are some pretty cool modes you can get for it to do all sorts of handy things. It's also nice that it works on any system that you do (or are forced to at work Rasp ).

Make is simple enough, but it's too much like shell scripting. Something I'd like to avoid doing a lot of at all costs... I've used Rake (Ruby based build tool) which is quite easy, but still rely on Xcode for my OS X builds. (Sorry to disappoint OSC)

Scott Lembcke - Howling Moon Software
Author of Chipmunk Physics - A fast and simple rigid body physics library in C.
OneSadCookie Wrote:I generally stay away from the nightmare that is Xcode.

Why is Xcode so bad?
Luminary
Because it makes the simple things complicated, and the complex things impossible.

If you just want to make a simple Cocoa app with all the resources in the top level of the Resources folder, it's bearable. The minute you want something more complex, you're better off investing a little time into setting up some other build system, because you'll get your time back in spades later.
DesertPenguin
Unregistered

I like emacs - definitely over vi.

The gcc/gdb/emacs/make toolchain is very impressive and required knowledge for any developer.

But I must admit to using TextMate alot lately - it is great for Ruby On Rails work. I haven't used it for anything else...yet.

OSC - Are you using TextMate for Objective-C work?
Luminary
I use TextMate for everything, though I do miss Xcode's completion when doing Cocoa stuff, I'll admit.

It's just a better emacs -- intelligible customizability, and no tie to a particular extension language.
OneSadCookie Wrote:I use TextMate for everything, though I do miss Xcode's completion when doing Cocoa stuff, I'll admit.

I use Visual Assist at work and it makes me cry so hard when I come home wishing any environment had the power that Visual Assist does.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Because it makes the simple things complicated, and the complex things impossible.

If you just want to make a simple Cocoa app with all the resources in the top level of the Resources folder, it's bearable. The minute you want something more complex, you're better off investing a little time into setting up some other build system, because you'll get your time back in spades later.
Here's hoping Xcode 3 is really a step forward. At least it'll have some refactoring.
Sage
I use TextMate for everything except app programming. So I write my GLSL and config files in TextMate; also, I have 'mate_wait' bound to $EDITOR so I can enter svn commit messages as well as inspecting diffs and svn logs in TextMate.

But I do my actual programming in Xcode.
I use Textmate for everything.
better emacs? can you do really simple things such as 'c-x 3'? or do a c-x b or a c-x c-b, or a m-x repl (ret) reg (ret)? how bout m-x pong, or a built in psychiatrist? yea, I thought not.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Please test my app (it's not a game though). 10.3.9 users!? mac_girl 6 3,428 Aug 12, 2007 02:35 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie