About piracy, web services and subscription payment.

Hi mates!

*** I'm creating an application that uses a server of mine (always). Usually I don't care about piracy, but this time is different. Pirated copies could saturate my server so I have to do something. First idea was use a login screen, but this is annoying for legal customers and maybe it is ilegal because of Apple policies. Second one was send iPhone serial number and see if it exists in my iTunnes connect customers list, but I don't know if this is technically possible, and in this case, maybe it is ilegal.

*** BTW, my app also uses Push Notifications, I don't know at the moment how they work, but I guess I need iPhone id number or something like that, isn't it?
Could I use that data to avoid that pirated copies connect to my server?

*** Another question, is anyone using a payment based on subscription?

What do you think about all of ideas?
Quote this message in a reply
There are a few apps with login services. For example, there's a free pharmacy app, but in order to use it at all, you need their $99 a year subscription to the service. Apple allows this, and even provides a spot in the review system where you can provide an example login for them to test the app.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work
AndyKorth Wrote:There are a few apps with login services. For example, there's a free pharmacy app, but in order to use it at all, you need their $99 a year subscription to the service. Apple allows this, and even provides a spot in the review system where you can provide an example login for them to test the app.

Interesting. Is that subscription managed by Apple or by another company?
They manage the subscription themselves. The service existed as a web app long before they made an iPhone version, I believe.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  iPhone piracy raising 95% riruilo 19 6,948 Feb 11, 2010 06:28 PM
Last Post: Kerome
  App store payment currency wonza 3 2,496 Nov 26, 2009 09:35 AM
Last Post: monteboyd
  Why does Apple do nothing against illegal iPhone app piracy? riruilo 33 12,566 May 17, 2009 08:47 AM
Last Post: riruilo