Objective C and Xcode for a former SuperCard user

Josh Wrote:Aren't virtual machines always maintained* by the OS company?
All virtual machines are maintained by whomever decides to maintain them. If I write a virtual machine for a language that I come up with and want to have that virtual machine be compatible with OS X, I'd be crazy to think Apple would maintain it for me!

So technically, it is the maintainer/creator of the language to also maintain the virtual machine on whatever platform they wish to support. It would obviously be nice if the platform vendors took care of maintaining the VMs, but it's not their responsibility in the end, unless they have a contractual obligation to do so.
Quote this message in a reply
Josh Wrote:Aren't virtual machines always maintained* by the OS company? So of course it'd be Microsoft's Java VM.

LOL

Ask the guys at Sun what they think about the idea of having Microsoft in charge of a Windows Java VM. Wink Microsoft tried as hard as they could to kill Java, the end result is that if you use Java on Windows, you use Sun's.
AnotherJake Wrote:All virtual machines are maintained by whomever decides to maintain them. If I write a virtual machine for a language that I come up with and want to have that virtual machine be compatible with OS X, I'd be crazy to think Apple would maintain it for me!
Haha... true Smile

In the case of Java on Windows and Mac OS X, though, does anyone maintain a feature-complete VM besides Microsoft and Apple?
PowerMacX Wrote:LOL

Ask the guys at Sun what they think about the idea of having Microsoft in charge of a Windows Java VM. Wink Microsoft tried as hard as they could to kill Java, the end result is that if you use Java on Windows, you use Sun's.
Ha, there's my answer Smile Does Sun have a VM for Mac OS X?
Luminary
Apple's is Sun's, essentially.
I was under the impression that the ppc version, at least, was essentially IBMs...

*researches*

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Its the default case. Yes, you can download suns latest VM for windows and the applet is going to work fine. Thats why I think Java will work for the enterprise.

Yet, if you have a busy site with an applet, people are not going to goto sun and install a massive vm. They'll be using the default vm installed by Microsoft. What that is these days I'm not sure. But in the past I remember it was basically a Java 1.0 vm -- thats how they killed java on the web. This might have changed with the new version of IE. Been focused on the mac lately and IE is just an after thought.

Funny, windows media is the inverse situation. You have a plugin and player. Windows you have an active x control too ... think thats and object tag versus embed tag. But the mac version is missing some codecs. Oops... Smile

Back to cocoa and opengl for me ... Smile
Luminary
MS doesn't install a Java VM by default.
Your right. I remember there was a lawsuit with Sun and Microsoft. Microsoft was forced to remove their older vm? So, Microsoft just decided not to have a vm at all. We go from an ancient vm to no vm at all. Thus, people have to download a big install. End result is no major sites using applets but they were not using them anyways.
AlStaffieri
Unregistered

Trying to get this back on topic....

If you used HyperCard and SuperCard years ago and are familiar with them, you might want to look at the newest SuperCard
http://www.supercard.us

There's also Runtime Revolution which is very similar and is cross platform
http://www.runrev.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PLAIN Objective-C template for XCode? manatee 3 3,501 Feb 27, 2005 06:03 PM
Last Post: szymczyk