Planning an RPG - Opinions Appreciated

shadowstormz
Unregistered

Hey, I'm new here, but definitely not a newbie when it comes to programming - a novice, rather.

Anyway, I'm planning to make an RPG as a hobby. It's been floating around in my head for a while. The languages I know are HTML, CSS, PHP, and SQL. I know the basics of Flash Actionscript and Java.

The RPG I've planned out is going to be a real-time web-based game. I plan to use Flash to make it into a real-time game. I'm thinking that I might want to turn it into an MMORPG. I know the amount of work that goes into make that, but I do plan to eventually gather a team to help me out.

My question is how would one go about making a web-based PvP (player versus player) system? Is it possible to incorporate Flash into the scene?

I have a theory of using MySQL to create temporary battle data where Flash can actively read from via PHP to load the two player combatants. (The battle system would closely resemble Final Fantasy's battle system.) I'm not sure if this is possible and I'm wondering if anyone's encountered a similar problem.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
shadowstormz Wrote:The RPG I've planned out is going to be a real-time web-based game. I plan to use Flash to make it into a real-time game.
This is a tall order by itself, without even bringing the "MMO" part into the mix. Certainly well within the realm of possibility for a single developer, even one new to the technology, but it's useful to have a feel for the scope of the project you're planning before you go too crazy with the design.

shadowstormz Wrote:I have a theory of using MySQL to create temporary battle data where Flash can actively read from via PHP to load the two player combatants. (The battle system would closely resemble Final Fantasy's battle system.) I'm not sure if this is possible and I'm wondering if anyone's encountered a similar problem.
This is a pretty specific technical question, which isn't the sort of thing you'll need to worry about just yet. Figuring out how to manage network communication is a complex problem that will be heavily influenced by the way you choose to represent game state on the client side. Of course, the reverse can also apply, so it's a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation... In either case, though, if I'm understanding your solution, it sounds potentially viable.

Overall, I'd advise you to slow down a bit and start implementing some of your designs to make sure your feet are on the ground; if you spend all of your time on theoretical design, the complexity of the system tends to explode without you noticing. I've been there.
DoG
You might wanna take a peek at the game developers refuge, there is at least one person there working on a flash based multiplayer RPG with a PHP backend
I would also suggest looking into similar open source projects to get a feel for how they have approached the problems you're looking at.
look here: http://www.dragonfable.com and here: http://www.battleon.com before proceding any further; these are massive multiplayer-ish games made in flash with a high degree of persistence and MMORPG elements. (if you'd like to try out the game and can't get on because the servers are too full, when trying out dragonfable, PM me here and I'll give you my username and password so you can create a character and try it out).
"A bit of flash" will probably not be anywhere near enough to make a multiplayer game with flash...I'd recommend starting out with tic-tac-toe in flash, then moving on to a small rpg, then trying out something multiplayer (which is a great feat in of itself when done securely in flash, or so I've heard Wink).
Good luck man...it can be done, as the above ^^ examples show Smile
-wyrmmage

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/
shadowstormz
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll start with a small text-based rpg, but do it piece by piece before I get myself in over my head. About the complexity issue, I think you're right. I'll try to keep it simple for now so I'll probably stick to server-side scripting and leave the flash integration for a future project.

I don't expect to get an RPG game fully developed this time around. I've been trying it out with various ideas and various designs for a good year now and I think I'm at the point where I can make a serious attempt on a project. But really, I'd be happy to gain any more experience in making an RPG.

With those text-based RPGs out there on the web, are they using Object-Oriented Programming or just procedural scripting? I'm guessing OOP, but I'm not the RPG expert. Blush

I've been studying Adventure Quest for quite some time now and it's actually one of the inspirations for making an RPG. Either way, I think I'll leave the Flash for a later project.

Thanks again for the great replies, guys!
Most muds are written in C or C++, and the amount of object oriented-ness varies. Most of the Diku mud derivatives are pretty procedural.

For single player RPG games, consider taking a look Tyrant, it's on source forge. It's in Java and it's 2D.

CoffeeMud might be a good resource also. It's a Java based text based game.