NeHe revival?

Anyone up for a true osx port of all of NeHe's lessons? I feel as if osx should be represented well... right now the ports are pieces of crap. Rasp Perhaps a weird revival of the long-dead incubator project? Anyways, this is an area that I feel can help the community members AND involve everybody.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
It might be better write to some real good tutorials and do it in a mac oriented way.
I guess some of the most important things would be

1) Various different ways to get an OpenGL context, with the good and bad points
2) Loading textures and troubleshooting the problems
3) The different ways to optimize drawing e.g. how to not use immediate mode

I'd be happy to help write some stuff but I think someone should set a list better and it might work well to divide it between a few people. What do you think?

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
I think there's something to be said for NeHe's essential opengl knowledge... plus, I don't want to point them there and have them learn how to make a context badly... Still, that'd be great too. I'm realearning opengl after my hiatus for other graphics projects; those would be great resources in addition to NeHe's basic opengl skills.

Apprentice
Yes, but someone who has no idea how to use OpenGL (which would be someone searching for the NeHe tutorials) shouldn't have to be concerned about the "best" way to create a context. They need to poke around the API some before worrying about optimizing their usage of it.

Don't bog them down with vertex/index buffers and all that jazz. Immediate mode and a basic context is all they need to start learning.
exactly-but if the example code doesn't work, then they're already at a disadvantage, before they write ANY code.

Luminary
The Cocoa ports aren't that fantastic, but the GLUT ports generally work fine... or at least, did when I last needed one...
Sage
Nayr Wrote:I think there's something to be said for NeHe's essential opengl knowledge... plus, I don't want to point them there and have them learn how to make a context badly... Still, that'd be great too. I'm realearning opengl after my hiatus for other graphics projects; those would be great resources in addition to NeHe's basic opengl skills.

yes. which is why I suggest writing new tutorials.

I do know GameDev is rewriting all the Nehe tutorials (or maybe just the code) to fit into an OO cross-platform design using SDL. I don't know if this affects anything, but it might be taking a look at the first 4 lessons they released.
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/..._id=437836
OneSadCookie Wrote:The Cocoa ports aren't that fantastic, but the GLUT ports generally work fine... or at least, did when I last needed one...

Yes, that's how I got started with OpenGL on my Mac several years ago.
same, but, again, you wouldn't want to teach them to use GLUT... that's one of the worst ways to get a gl context on the mac. Plus, isn't it kinda broken? I thought fullscreen didn't work or something...

The point I'm trying to make is: it's best to teach them properly the first time.

Sage
Thats why I said
1) Various different ways to get an OpenGL context, with the good and bad points

GLUT is very useful for some things, but certainly not what you would use for releasing a game.

Luminary
GLUT is a very good way to *learn* OpenGL, because it's simple. There's no need to force people to deal with the wackiness of Cocoa up-front like that.

Once you've got a good handle on OpenGL and GLUT, then an advanced tutorial on how to switch properly to Cocoa is reasonable.
Sage
Agreed. If I'd had to grok Cocoa's NSOpenGLContext stuff when I was learning GL I'd have probably given up.

GLUT was absolutely perfect for me when learning GL. I had a simple Xcode project with dozens of single-file targets ( lots of lesson-<xyz>.c files ) with no need to .app bundle stuff.
Me three. GLUT is a good tool for learning OpenGL on the Mac (or any other system for that matter).

There are varying degrees of support one can squeeze out of Cocoa for any given OpenGL context, so in practice it is kind of hard to make a one-size-fits-all tutorial for it I think.

Waaaaay OT: Hey, PowerMacX, I just read in my local newspaper over dinner that you guys got your first snow yesterday since 1918. If you got any good pics, it might be kinda cool if you posted a thread on that!
AnotherJake Wrote:Waaaaay OT: Hey, PowerMacX, I just read in my local newspaper over dinner that you guys got your first snow yesterday since 1918

Pics? Nah... I got videos! Rasp (as in, I actually took the MacBook out the window to film stuff! LOL ) I'll upload something to YouTube and post a link later on an Assembly Room thread. </offtopic>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Errors With NeHe OpenGL Guide SamGray 1 2,789 Sep 6, 2009 02:36 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  nehe tutorials - fullscreen Michael 5 4,233 Oct 28, 2004 08:08 AM
Last Post: Michael
  NeHe example djohnson 4 3,143 Jan 30, 2004 01:58 PM
Last Post: Sohta
  NeHe and OpenGL Inconsistencies Justin Brimm 4 3,628 Jul 11, 2003 08:18 AM
Last Post: Feanor