A guide to making a game??

Apprentice
Hey guys ummm ok I don't know where to start.....

Ok first of all im new to the forums and I'd like to say a quick HI!

Second I want to make a game but build it from scratch i mean any game like pong or something...Small i want to know how to code and what codes are useful Im 14 and dont have ANY coding expeirence all i have used is FPS Creator i made some game's and some $$$. I know a teency bit of the FPSC scripting but i want to make a game without a tool like umm ya know miniclip games.

If you guys could help me I'd really appreciate it. Also please don't flame me if you think i got no hope or whatever..Just dont reply.
KnightRaider Wrote:Also please don't flame me if you think i got no hope or whatever..Just dont reply.

You won't get flamed because of that. It's just that this question has been asked a lot.

Try searching this forum for possible answers and if you are still stuck, come back here and post your questions.

Don't forget about Google aswell Smile

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Hello, and welcome.

It all depends on which way you want to go, and what you want your results to be. Do you plan on working in the industry, or is it more a hobby? What would you like your first games to be like? Do you want to do it all alone or with a team? etc etc. As Taxxodium said, search this forum, there are a lot of information there. Also, check out sites as gamedev.net, gamasutra etc.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Apprentice
Ummm i sorta wanna go bymyself now i wanna learn language so later on i can make some quality games..I want to know how to do everything not just program i want to know how to model i'd like to work in a team but im not even the legal age to work lolCry as for that Im messing around with auto hotkey at the moment scripting macro's and hotkeys to open certain programs and stuff. Then i'll later move onto SCAR or VB but i dont know if any of this will help me :S I put 110% effort in all the time so im willing to learn anything and i dont want to really produce crap games. I like quality Thanks for your help guys =D
Apprentice
Oh and i can HTML script but i dont know if that will come in any use...I just thought maybe it might have a similar scripting language that can be used in making gamesLOL
Sage
I recommend to learn perl, but start by learning the basics of the language. It would be a few weeks or a month before making a simple game if you want to learn to do it from scratch.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
unknown Wrote:I recommend to learn perl, but start by learning the basics of the language. It would be a few weeks or a month before making a simple game if you want to learn to do it from scratch.
Huh

Or you could learn Processing and probably start making games in a couple of weeks, if you apply yourself. Plenty of tutorials, forum support. Nice set of libraries.

For modeling, go download Wings3D (Google it) (won't work on Intel Macs unless you compile it yourself).

For music, just open up Garageband and start messing around.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
@diordna: from what KnightRaider has posted (that they're experienced using FPS Creator, consider Visual Basic a viable language to learn, etc) I'd presume that they missed the Big Red Wordâ„¢ and are running Windows, so they're out of luck as far as GarageBand is concerned, although Wings3D and Processing will still work nicely Wink

Edit: Although I suppose KnightRaider could be running OS X, and is running Windows in Boot Camp...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Luminary
sealfin Wrote:I'd presume that they missed the Big Red Wordâ„¢

Y'know, I spent *ages* bugging carlos to get that added, and I really thought that it might help people to understand the purpose of the community. It doesn't seem to have helped at all. Do people not read the top of the pages, or have they just scrolled down to the content before the image loads?
Apprentice
Thanks guys I seem to have a few ideas now =D I read that mmorpg Post mortem thing that was a bit helpful.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Y'know, I spent *ages* bugging carlos to get that added, and I really thought that it might help people to understand the purpose of the community. It doesn't seem to have helped at all. Do people not read the top of the pages, or have they just scrolled down to the content before the image loads?

Bring back the <blink> tag! Rasp
It's in the banner, and banners are perceived as ads, therefore ignored.
yep, I'd never noticed it before. Also red is harder to see than black on that background. The most effective thing would probably be to also change the name of the forum or add the word Macintosh to every single category's title. That would kinda suck though.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Perhaps some kind of notice for first time posters, like, have you checked that your thread is appropriate for this forum, that this is a Macintosh game development community etc.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Perhaps the solution is not too be Mac Elitist Douche Bags.
Thread Closed 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Making fantasy game? imageready 0 8,179 Feb 29, 2008 07:09 PM
Last Post: imageready
  Making an RTS game Nyzse 6 12,466 Nov 12, 2007 11:59 AM
Last Post: gronkal
  Any good game making tools? Sambo110 7 8,285 Jul 5, 2007 12:28 AM
Last Post: KnightRaider
  Making a game good enough for the major portals. BasilStudio 8 4,217 Sep 7, 2006 10:59 AM
Last Post: Yoda