Re-making games purely in OSX

DeputyDoofy
Unregistered

Ok, for the most part, I've got the game design thing understood. I've made my own javascript version of Tetris and I'm interested in re-creating it using Objective-C. More times than not, my biggest issue is learning the IDE and API's to make my idea possible. The programming skill is there for the most part. Is there a good way to make some kind of sprite-collision detection (without using someone else's)? This is where I always get stuck when wanting to make an OS X game. Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
For tetris I would just have a grid of cells with on/off states (on if a block in that cell) and check if you would be putting a box in an already occupied cell (x, y) by moving it down, if so you know that a collision has occured.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
DeputyDoofy
Unregistered

Ok, that answer is fine, since that's how I did my javascript version. Thing is, I can create the array if I read up on objective-c. How do I actually draw the 2D grid? I never quite find a straight-forward answer on 2D graphics. I'm not even going to try 3D. Blink
Sage
Create an NSView and draw an NSImage with compositeToPoint:
You can learn about drawing graphics in Cocoa with Quartz from for example, http://cocoadevcentral.com/d/intro_to_quartz/

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
DeputyDoofy
Unregistered

Oooh. Appreciate that link. Will have to read up. Thank you much! Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newcommer wanting to start making games help? Rampage 2 3,940 Nov 18, 2008 04:39 PM
Last Post: stevejohnson