Semi-Programmable iPhone

I am also curious about the bandwidth needed for this. On the one hand a simple app like one trip = 15k and only loaded once (per time you use it).

Something much bigger, with lots of images could easily be a 150k download... and if you access it many times. Clearly whatever plan they offer will have to be much more liberal than today's plans regarding web access.
Quote this message in a reply
OK, it can't be more jarring than this (notice the dates):
http://mjtsai.com/blog/2007/06/13/a-very...-solution/

Nice find!

It really sounds like Steve's RDF wasn't corrupted after all but has rather grown so large that it actually reflected back on itself and distorted *his* perception of reality. It totally makes sense now...

... this is not good BTW...
Oldtimer
I'm going to mirror what was said in the comments to PowerMacX's link (nice catch, by the way!).

Steve hasn't provided a contradiction here at all. What has happened here is that Apple are running their own native apps, and they're great. Then, Apple provide you with the possibility to write Web 2.0 apps for it - which we already knew we could.

I really can't see the problem here. On June 10th, we couldn't write apps for it, period. Then Steve gives us powerfull hooks into the phone from web apps, giving us Web 2.0 on hardware-specific goddamn steroids (depending on which these hooks actually are).

Then again, the SDK is around the corner. It's just that it would be surprisingly stupid to release an SDK for an 1.0 product - the API will be floating for the next coming years, and there's no guarantee that there won't be changes that break the already deployed apps. And you can imagine what the developer community would roar? "Why the heck did you release an SDK that wasn't set on stone whine whine whine."

When life gives you a freely available, cross-platform, well-tested and industry-driving stack of really cool software and an in-pocket runtime to go with it, make lemonade. And then buckle down and make something cool.

The full-featured browser will flow to other platforms as well, and those who are early out on the handheld Web 2.0 market will inherit the Earth.
skyhawk Wrote:I am also curious about the bandwidth needed for this. On the one hand a simple app like one trip = 15k and only loaded once (per time you use it).

Something much bigger, with lots of images could easily be a 150k download... and if you access it many times. Clearly whatever plan they offer will have to be much more liberal than today's plans regarding web access.

a follow up on this:
You can watch content on youtube. Some of those videos are several megabytes. Whatever apple's plan is, it better include near infinite (5GB+ a month) of transfer if they want it to truly be the end all be all device they are planning. And people aren't gonna pay $100 a month either. $50 a month for unlimited text, video, pictures + 1500 talk time (or even unlimited) + unlimited web services for only iPhone customers.

Seems reasonable if you're trying to generate a synergy between two companies. Also the user-base of iPhone customers will be smaller (if only cause no way apple will satisfy the demand right off the bat) than the general cell phone market.
I believe they said they are looking for 1% market penetration of a 6 billion cell phone industry.
The plans:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/26plans.html

[Image: rateplans.jpg]

Does unlimited data = unlimited web browsing? does it use your minutes to browse?

The plans seem a bit steep, so I will definitely be holding off a few months.
Nibbie
skyhawk Wrote:The plans:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/26plans.html

[Image: rateplans.jpg]

Does unlimited data = unlimited web browsing? does it use your minutes to browse?

The plans seem a bit steep, so I will definitely be holding off a few months.

A bit high if you ask me. I barely use my phone so I have a pay as you go account. $0.32/min long distance and ~$0.20 local, free incoming text messages and $0.10 outgoing. I put about $10 in the phone per month.

I want an iphone, but would I buy one? No. I don't even have an ipod... yet.
I agree, they seem a bit high (not ridiculously so though). They're obviously trying to squeeze it for every drop they can. I think it's kind of interesting that AT&T insists on the whole `contract' thing. I mean, what other carrier can someone use? Nobody but AT&T for five years, so who cares? They specifically said that they aren't subsidizing the iPhone, so what's the point of the contract? If you don't pay the phone bill then you have an expensive iPod. You'd think AT&T would at least have a little more class... Oh, wait, it's AT&T, never mind. Rolleyes
a funny thing about text messaging:
unlimited data + meebo.com = unlimited text messaging.
I'm wondering if the unlimited data is:

Quote:unlimited(*)

Quote:*Limited.
Sneaky
⌘-R in Chief
Unlimited data equals web, yes.
Well, since AT&T locks you in for 2 years and charges you $36 just to activate the plan, they are getting a minimum of $1476 for every iPhone sold.(which means an iPhone actually costs a minimum of $1976) Times that by the 10 million iPhones that Jobs wants sold, and wow, $14.76 billion.
That's a killing!

If you look at the regular plans that AT&T offers it appears that they just slid the prices over one column to the left. (i.e. the iPhone 450 minutes plan costs the same as the regular 900 minutes plan, etc.)
So they are pretty much saying that unlimited web, visual voicemail, and 200 text mesages are worth an additional $20. Which sounds pretty reasonable. It sounds very reasonable when you look at the fact that unlimited data on a Blackberry costs $50.
It seems that the high prices are due to the fact that the base of the plan (The minutes, rollover, unlimited M2M, and night and weekend) is expensive to start out with.
⌘-R in Chief
Yes, the prices are actually pretty good considering the data side of things. It's not a steal of a deal, but they are pretty competitive. For four of us on regular phones it's about $200/mo to share around 2000 minutes. My dad is the only one with a smart phone, and he has a $25/mo limited data plan. Recently we just added on an extra $15/mo to the bill to add 250 txt messages.

So looking at the iPhone family plans, if all four of us got iPhones, it's be $210 per month, for 2100 daytime minutes, 200 txt messages each, and unlimited web. That's more than what we're getting now for the same price.

Other than the fact that we'd have to pay around $2,300 for the iPhones including tax and activation fees...
From David Pogue's last article

No disk mode

So... it can display PDF, Word & Excel files but the only way to get them on your iPhone is by self-emailing?? Blink
Luminary
Bluetooth file exchange?