How do I create a Basic MMORPG?

Levethix
Unregistered

I have an account at this site called http://www.r-fate.com, and I want to create a game of my own because I have become displeased with the administration. I was wondering if I could get a lead in the right direction of the programming I would have to learn to create a site like this, and how to get pixelart rights etc. The main thing I am curious about though is how to create the engine for the damage calcultion etc. I realize that there is probably going to be quite a bit of learning to do, but I am willing to put in the time. I've done some poking around and I don't whether to go with PHP - HTML - XHTML etc.
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
There are a number of open source game engines. This game was created in PHP and MySQL, and uses HTML and CSS to display the information. A game of this level is not entirely outside your ability, but it would certainly take a good 6 months to a year of free time to create something playable and similar if you are not experienced with the technologies that I have mentioned.

A good place to start is PHP.com. There are lots of tutorials that introduce you to the basics of PHP with MySQL and HTML. CSS is just something you can tack on if you feel like it (although it's a time saver and helps your webserver).

A warning:
Because many people ask for help designing MMORPGs on development forums such as these without realizing the vast amount of work and talent required to create one, you will possibly(definitely) face ridicule here or elsewhere.

That said, you have set your sights on a genre of MMORPG that you actually do have a hope of creating. That said, you will have to learn PHP and it will be a lot of work. If you feel that you're up to that, welcome to the forums!

First: some questions to help us help you.

1. What is your prior experiance. Have you designed a website? If so, what tools. Do you know any programming languages?

2. What operating system do you use. PHP is cross platform, so this isn't an issue, but I can recommend tools for your specific platform.

3. Do you have work (of any kind) such as art, writing, a web site, etc. online that you can use to verify that you are dedicated to creating something new such as this. This is not required, but it certainly will help lend credibility to you and allow you to possibly recruit help down the road, once you have personally begun the project and have it to a point where you find you need more help.
Sage
PHP is quite difficult and awkward to work with, I'd suggest learning perl or ruby if you actually plan on investing some time in such a project.
Making a game like this is totally possible but certainly quite advanced, so instead of spending a lot of time working on somthing which ends up breaking unfixably, I think it would be best to try writing a couple of smaller projects, like a single player text based game (which you could run in a browser like your mmorpg type game would) to get some experience.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Nibbie
unknown Wrote:PHP is quite difficult and awkward to work with
PHP is easy to work with and very suited to creating web page based games./flamewar

I'm not saying that it's better than Perl (which is a fine, and very well thought out language), I'm just saying don't toss out the language. (However you would be hard pressed to find an honest comparison of programming languages anywhere).

I am simply recommending PHP because there exist a large number of tutorials and a few open source projects that would probably be quite helpful. Also, I suppose I'm skeptical about perl simply because it isn't really that widespread on the net (yet), but that's just aimless superstition on my part.

I agree completely with Unknown's suggestion about working on smaller projects first. It is often discouraging to work on a large project where A) You won't see results for a long time and B) As he mentioned, if something breaks it can be very challenging to find and fix the problem (especially for beginners).
Luminary
PHP is one of the least consistent languages ever, with one of the least consistent APIs ever. Whilst it has certain conveniences for this kind of work, I don't think they outweigh the issues it brings with it. It also encourages you to structure your web code horribly, which doesn't help. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.
Nibbie
OneSadCookie Wrote:PHP is one of the least consistent languages ever, with one of the least consistent APIs ever. Whilst it has certain conveniences for this kind of work, I don't think they outweigh the issues it brings with it. It also encourages you to structure your web code horribly, which doesn't help. I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner.

Agreed, although I would suggest that not needing to structure your code is an advantage in web development (rather than the horrible disadvantage it is in application development). However, I've been looking into Perl and it appears to be a better choice, despite the lack of a few (inconsistent and seemingly random/hodgepodge) features that I like about PHP.
OMG. You guys don't think that PHP (the most widely available language, in something like 99% of hosting services) is good for beginners and then... recommend Perl? Blink
Levethix
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check out some php and perl tutorials - by the comments I have read it seems as though perl might be better for beginner's - less complications down the road (especially for a beginner like me). I do have some experience with html, but I only made a few generic websites out of a how-to book(never posted online or anything) -html seems pretty simple though - how in depth should I learn html before moving on to one of the server languages? I'm going to start messing around with simple stuff as suggested. I think I might try to learn C first, is that a good idea - and do I need a special program for that. I just haven't yet since it's not web-based. Again, thanks for the support I'm going to go back to http://www.W3schools.com - if anyone knows of a better website for tutorials or if I should in fact just invest in a book please post. Oh yeah, when I first found this site I found it through searches, I did not realize that it was made specifically for mac users, I do use windows xp - should I go someplace else or is this place ok - I've really liked the advice given though.
Levethix Wrote:Thanks for the advice, I'm going to check out some php and perl tutorials - by the comments I have read it seems as though perl might be better for beginner's - less complications down the road (especially for a beginner like me). I do have some experience with html, but I only made a few generic websites out of a how-to book(never posted online or anything) -html seems pretty simple though - how in depth should I learn html before moving on to one of the server languages? I'm going to start messing around with simple stuff as suggested. I think I might try to learn C first, is that a good idea - and do I need a special program for that. I just haven't yet since it's not web-based. Again, thanks for the support I'm going to go back to http://www.W3schools.com - if anyone knows of a better website for tutorials or if I should in fact just invest in a book please post. Oh yeah, when I first found this site I found it through searches, I did not realize that it was made specifically for mac users, I do use windows xp - should I go someplace else or is this place ok - I've really liked the advice given though.

perl is not easier to use safely than php...don't listen to them really I've used both (I had a job writing perl actually). PHP is really easy to use and does what it does well. perl on the other hand has been trying to compete with the likes of a real language like C++ for years and it seems just bloated and dated now (also the perl community are elitist jerks). Theres many reasons why 9yrs ago most websites used perl/cgi and now they use PHP for the same stuff

perl also will teach you that code that looks like this $*&^.#@#$% is ok o.O

read one PHP book (I got PHP for the World Wide Web 2nd Ed. on my couch here next to me) and look up the rest on http://php.net/

or fit in with last decades crowd and learn to obfuscate your regexps and read Learning Perl (actually i loved this book...even if i hate perl now), Programming Perl and a few other perl books just to be able to accomplish what you could do with PHP after 1 or 2 books.

(which language is better than what language is a hot debate on any online forum I almost didn't reply but I don't want you to waste your time on such an ugly language and community and then have to learn other stuff later like I did)

(Also, most cheap hosting companies only give you PHP or Perl as a choice some now are also giving Python but I have one that gives Tcl and I prefer tclsh to php or perl Smile If you want your own choice you'd need to get a more expensive hosting account that lets you install your favorite language and shell access (SSH) or host yourself but that's not an option for new people.)

Quote:-html seems pretty simple though - how in depth should I learn html before moving on to one of the server languages?
ya it is. just read an online tutorial. Smile (and get a WYSIWYG editor)

edit: look in your browser's location area you see this forum you are reading it uses PHP =)

Quote:I'm going to go back to http://www.W3schools.com - if anyone knows of a better website for tutorials or if I should in fact just invest in a book please post.

try this site http://www.pagetutor.com/html_tutor/ I had to google for it. I read his tutorial almost a decade ago before he had it on pagetutor...I think it was just his personal site and it was one of the first things i read before I read any programming at all. Looking at the front page it seems like its the same tutorial for HTML (with a lot more ads though *rolls eyes*).
⌘-R in Chief
PowerMacX Wrote:OMG. You guys don't think that PHP (the most widely available language, in something like 99% of hosting services) is good for beginners and then... recommend Perl? Blink

Heh, that's what I was thinking. PHP's APIs suck, but it's easy to learn. I picked it up and had a working site with database-driven image galleries and some admin stuff in two days.
I've been learning Perl in school for the past couple of months in school, and I must say it is VERY ugly! Its builtin library isn't even that good. I'd say stray away from it. As for an alternative, I can't recommend one, sorry.
Luminary
I have to say, I wouldn't recommend perl, either Rasp

For simple web stuff, Ruby on Rails will let you get a lot done, very easily. In a lot of ways I'd recommend it -- it won't teach you bad habits like php, it's not obscenely complex in bizarre ways like perl, etc. However, with rails, there's *so* much magic that you may not actually learn that much programming.
OneSadCookie Wrote:However, with rails, there's *so* much magic that you may not actually learn that much programming.

I'd have to agree there, if you don't know much about programming in general, or about some of the other aspects of web development, particularly HTML, working with databases and maybe a bit of javascript you will find rails quick to get working but near impossible to master.

There really isn't a 'right' way to go here. It's a fairly tricky path, but I would say read and research and write very small scale test snippets in an assortment of languages. See what works best for you.

Take it with a grain of salt, I've never coded PHP myself. I just found it very difficult to use RoR for anything out of the ordinary (like what a game would need to do).

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Nibbie
So, go with PHP, which I originally recommended Rasp