Cocoa or Carbon?

Hello, I'm about two-thirds done with a 2d OpenGL isometric sprite/tiling engine. The engine is written completely in carbon c and I have very little experience programming in Cocoa/Objective-C.

I was looking for some thoughts on a number of things dealing with Cocoa/Objective-C:

-For a small scale straight forward project like mine, what benifits would using Cocoa/Objective-C have over C?

-How long would you guess (roughly)it would take me to pick up enough Cocoa/Objective-C (assuming I'm fairly experienced in C and have an average learning curve)so that I could one: become reasonably comfortable with it, and two: begin to take advantage of it's strengths over C(assuming there are any)?

-(This is very general, but)Once someone is comfortable with Objective-C/Cocoa, what advantages could it have over C/Carbon for projects such as mine?

-Thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:-How long would you guess (roughly)it would take me to pick up enough Cocoa/Objective-C (assuming I'm fairly experienced in C and have an average learning curve)so that I could one: become reasonably comfortable with it, and two: begin to take advantage of it's strengths over C(assuming there are any)?
I picked it up in a weekend, and learned enough to do some more serious damage within two weeks. YMMV

Quote:-(This is very general, but)Once someone is comfortable with Objective-C/Cocoa, what advantages could it have over C/Carbon for projects such as mine?
I hate to sound vague, but there are countless advantages to using Cocoa over Carbon, including writing much less code for system level stuff. If you search the forums you will find lots and lots of discussions about it.
Luminary
Cocoa is a more uniform API, meaning it's easier to intuit.

It's better documented, meaning it's easier to find out how to use it.

It's better known, meaning it's easier to find people to help with problems.

Less of it is deprecated, meaning that with the upcoming Leopard and 64-bit transitions, you'll have an easier time keeping your code compiling.
I think Cocoa works better with Interface Builder. That's a good enough reason if you need an interface...
Sage
Cocoa, no question.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
⌘-R in Chief
unknown Wrote:Cocoa, no question.

Way to answer the question(s). Rasp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie question: Cocoa and Carbon - which for what and how to get started? BliTz 3 3,281 Jul 27, 2006 10:07 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Carbon C/ Cocoa API Questions Stalin55 3 3,319 Jul 3, 2006 02:07 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Noob Cocoa and Carbon Questions MonitorFlickers 15 6,322 Feb 23, 2006 06:01 PM
Last Post: Tesselate
  Carbon or Cocoa for Games Nick 26 13,719 Mar 11, 2005 12:59 PM
Last Post: Duane
  Carbon and Cocoa together.... Muffinking 1 2,662 Aug 4, 2003 12:11 AM
Last Post: KenD