Hello, I am new, Suggestions would be nice!

SladeinFull
Unregistered

Hello to you all, my name is Sam and I come from New Zealand. I am a high achieving student (currently in K-12 education) and am currently a year ahead in school. I have always been interested in making computer games since I was smaller, it all started when I saw Zelda on Nintendo 64 and Kalona for PS1, back then those were some quality games and I still adore them (well Zelda at least Wacko ).

As you can see, I am rather enthusiastic about game creation and gaming, but the thing is... I don't know where or how to start... I have no knowledge of any programing language except for using Silver Creator and mucking around with that (which isn't that challenging and it doesn't have enough features), what I was wondering was, does any one know of or could tell me a good language to start learning for game creation. I would very much appreciate it if any of you could set me in the right path for game creation and development. Even if you took me under your wing for any games you are creating would be very nice as I might be of some use for the odd jobs and see how the professionals do it.

Any way, I would like it if any suggestions would be towards apple gaming as that is all I would really want seeing as I am a bit of a applefreak.

My computer is not that great at the moment as my G5 imac recently broke but I am using a G3 imac and I will be getting a Intel iMac soon, the G3 has a 450 MHZ PPC proccessor and 512MB SDRAM. I have MAC OS X 10.4 (Tiger) installed.
I have access to developer tools, Adobe PhotoShop 7, I have Mac Python installed so I can run those files in terminal so it is quite capable of running most things. I am quite good at using the pen tool in photoshop (all though I don't have a tablet) and you can see some of my work on DeviantArt aswell as my photography.

I am looking forward to any responses and hope to hear back from any of you...
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Welcome, Sam-from-New-Zealand-number-2 Smile

What is "K-12" education? It's not a term I'm familiar with.

There are many, many threads on this forum about exactly this topic. I'm not sure what can be said here that hasn't already been covered over and over before.

Briefly: Any of Objective-C, C, C++, Java, Python, Ruby, etc. as a language is fine as a starting point (despite my personal bias against C++). Either SDL or Cocoa is a good API to make a window and receive events. OpenGL will do graphics. OpenAL will do sound.

If you head on over to the IRC channel at irc.freenode.net#idevgames you can get personalized pros and cons discussion in real time.
Hello and welcome, you came to the right place and certainly asked the right questions. In response, there is no one way to approach game development, and there is no *best* way either. However, most members of this forum are either using Objective-C with the Cocoa API or C/C++ with the Carbon API. If that's completely foreign to you, don't worry, it'll come. Using one of those two options will guarantee that someone around here can help you. There is also an IRC chatroom for this forum for interactive help, on freenode channel #idevgames.

If you choose to go one of the routes I mentioned earlier, you'll need to pick yourself up a copy of XCode, which is free. It's available on the apple website, you'll have to sign up for a free ADC web account. There is also plenty of documentation there to help you get started. You'll most likely want to learn how to actually write code before you jump into a game, but you can do it simultaneously if you pick an appropriate project. I personally started out writing a very simple text game in C to get a handle on programming. There are lots of Obj-C/C++/C tutorials online you can easily find, some geared directly towards using XCode.

But as I said, there are many other routes to take, and I'm sure others here will have their own say. Never hurts to try it all, just know that you are in for a long journey that is both frustrating and rewarding, and never ends unless you want it to.
SladeinFull
Unregistered

Thank you, K-12 is not what it is called in New Zealand (as I thought many people that belong to the idev family would not be from New Zealand) but K - 12 education is any education from Kindergarten (K) to College (12th grade), it is also the term used by apple for the student discount. I currently belong to College and I am at NCEA lvl 1, I have the developers tools and xcode is included in it so it shouldn't be to hard to start.

I'll pop over to the IRC soon... But 1st I have to bookmark the forum
SladeinFull
Unregistered

Ok, i just got my new WACOM tablet, Now I can draw some slick sprites instead of using the crappy mouse Grin. But I am wondering what I would use to show a sprite and how to do it.

So far I presume that I put an 'OpenglView" (or what ev) into the window using Interface Builder and editing the nibs file, but then what do I do to show a sprite? all this quartz and opengl crap has me boggled... Sad

Also whats the best file type for a sprite? preferably a quick loading and quality retaining one. But then also, a mask?
Luminary
PNG's fine.

As far as OpenGL tutorials go, NeHe is a decent starting point. Ignore his Cocoa code, it's broken, but the actual content of the tutorials is fine.

I don't know of a good tutorial for making an OpenGL view in Cocoa, but there is *something* that might be of use here: http://onesadcookie.com/book -- at the very least, working code Wink
SladeinFull
Unregistered

Thanks. In USing my WacoM to Write but it makes me look like a me Messy git lols
SladeinFull
Unregistered

So l just add a .png to the sauce file? I am getting better at writing now...
ok. Cocoa is the API, or set of tools, that you can use when writing code to draw a window, or tell whether a key is pressed, or something of the type. OpenGL is simply another API that you use to draw polygons. It doesn't know PNGs exist, BUT, using any number of APIs (cocoa included), you can go through a series of steps allowing you to turn the PNG into something OpenGL can use.
I recommend you get comfortable with objective-c/cocoa first, then opengl, then start your game.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
⌘-R in Chief
Posting here in response to your IRC messages.

If you're going to learn Cocoa, you need to learn Cocoa. Don't jump into trying to assemble code from different sources without even knowing how to call a method.

For starters, familiarize yourself with Xcode and InterfaceBuilder a little bit.
http://www.cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_cocoa/

Second, learn the basics of Obj-C code, how to create a class, use it in IB etc:
http://www.cocoadevcentral.com/d/learn_cocoa_two/

I recommend you actually read this. If you don't understand something, ask before moving on.

Do this tutorial:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation...TP40000863

Understand it. If you don't, ask before moving on.

You were trying to get a tableview working in IRC. If you want to know how a table view works, read this guide http://developer.apple.com/documentation...index.html

Here's a movie for a working NSTableView in 5 minutes flat: http://www.freaksw.com/temp/TableViewTutorial.mp4 It goes by quickly, so pause frequently and make sure you read the docs first so you have a clue as to what is going on.

From there, you should have a pretty good idea of how the basics work and you should try learning more about what Cocoa really is in the grand scheme of things. This guide also has a lot of basic information, mixed in with some slightly you-don't-really-need-to-know-just-yet information, but I suggest reading it all. If you don't understand something, ask (after reading all of the above stuff).
http://developer.apple.com/documentation...TP40002974

After that, and fiddling with some of your own little test projects, you should be pretty well on your way to using Cocoa. But seriously.... start at the beginning.

May the force be with you
SladeinFull
Unregistered

I started making a website, Here!
Seth how did you get all the tableView's datasource methods to magically appear. I always type them out... now I feel silly.

The machine does not run without the coin.
⌘-R in Chief
I pasted them.
Nice photos, but I'd recommend wallpaper size if you really want to make my day.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
SladeinFull
Unregistered

Yeah, im still working on them. Go to the deviant art and you shall get any where from 800x600 to 1024x768. Im keeping my full sized ones to my self at the moment.