Greetings from the Editor of iDevGames

Founder
Hello everyone.

At last a chance to catch my breath and say hello to the members of our community. As many of you know, I moved from Japan to America last August. After a few months of job searching, I was hired by a Connecticut-based company as their "E-Commerce Assistant Manager." Moving across the globe, and then again from my folks house to near my workplace, as well as sliding back into American culture/living has kept me very busy. I've been at my job now for almost 3 months and it is going well, though when I return home, I'm a little bit tired of dealing with websites. (I'm sure many of you know that feeling.)

I'm living near Hartford, the capital of Connecticut, in a town called Vernon -- it's very comfortable. My wife (Japanese) is back in Japan as we await her VISA to clear. Actually, I submitted the documents just 3 weeks ago to my local USCIS office (Located in Vermont, and perhaps famous for being slow.) So I have no idea when I'll be reunited with my wife.

Since I am "wife-less", I've spent my weekends shoping (for the apartment), reading and getting into the local soccer scene (my passion).

As for iDevGames, I am lurking in the forum and making sure the site (and iDevApps.com) is online.

PowerMacX asked in another thread, "... anyone knows what finally happened to the postmortems? ..." I did indeed hire a proofer and she finished proofing a few months ago. With the job hunting and moving though, I was unable to move forward. However for the past few days I have been bringing together all the content (spread over various CMSs we used, and databases. I'm happy to say all the content is in one CMS now. A long-time dream fullfilled. One database worth of content didn't import well, so I am fixing the posts by hand, which I don't mind, as it is a relaxing task. A few months back I also commissioned an icon designer to utilize our mascot for a logo/icon for the website, etc. So once I'm done with the content, the site will go down briefly as I switch to the new site. It might take some time though to add in the images for our content.

My ultimate goal is to have iDevGames completely restored with content, etc by mid-June. Then I'll work on an all new uDevGames site July and August... which will tie in nicely with uDevGames 2007. Yep, I'm very keen on bringing back our great contest. (Please no moans on dates as contest dates never meet 100% of people's schedule.)

At the moment I don't need any help. But once the site is completely restored, I would like to have reporters back on our staff so we can keep the front page fresh & conduct interviews. We will also need reviewers for books/software, people to approach game devs about postmortems, and typical help with proofing.

I think that covers everything on my mind. Any questions?

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Welcome back to the action.

I was going to post "Where the hell is Carlos?" but figured that a post like the
above was going to come sooner or later and considering the strain
you had between the first hack and the move didn't want to call you
out of whatever comfy chair you might be sitting in.

"Where the hell is Carlos"...if we had a enough pictures of you, that
would be a fun photoshop Friday. :-)

So if the uDevgames site goes online July-August, the contest start is looking to be September?
You are alive! Grin

Carlos Camacho Wrote:My ultimate goal is to have iDevGames completely restored with content, etc by mid-June. Then I'll work on an all new uDevGames site July and August... which will tie in nicely with uDevGames 2007. Yep, I'm very keen on bringing back our great contest.

Yay! Smile

Quote:[...] getting into the local soccer scene (my passion).)

Coaching or playing too? Also, what do you think of the "level" of the players there? Good, average or... not so good?
Awesome! A uDevGames contest is sure to liven things up around here... I'll try to make myself available to help out with contest preparations if you need it.
I wrote a post mortem for Dirk Dashing earlier this year, which was published in the ASP monthly newsletter. I would be happy to contribute that to the site, if you're interested.
GolfHacker Wrote:I wrote a post mortem for Dirk Dashing earlier this year, which was published in the ASP monthly newsletter. I would be happy to contribute that to the site, if you're interested.

Could you please post a link to it in the Resources thread so we can read it now? The contents of that thread will be in an index at http://www.thegameresource.com in the near future.
Hi,

I live in CT!

Why would you want to move from Japan to CT?! I am trying to save up and move to Korea or Japan or New Zealand! (I'm Korean)

CT is boring especially Hartford... Sneaky
Founder
Quote:Coaching or playing too? Also, what do you think of the "level" of the players there? Good, average or... not so good?
At the moment I am playing soccer. But I would like to get back into coaching and officiating as well. As for the level of play... I think it is a more physical game. (pro or con?) The tactics are not as good. Knowledge of the "real rules" is lacking. On the bright side, women are very good.

Quote:Why would you want to move from Japan to CT?! I am trying to save up and move to Korea or Japan or New Zealand! (I'm Korean)
Hello, well... after 15 years in Asia, it was enough. You will have an interesting experience going back to Korea. Providing you are in college/went to college, I recommend googling for "Jet Programme". Good way to go to Japan AND make money.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
DoG
Nice to have you back Carlos Grin
Luminary
mac_girl Wrote:Korea or Japan or New Zealand! (I'm Korean)

That's a peculiar pair of countries to lump us in with ^_^
⌘-R in Chief
I've been pretty critical of the lack of stuff on iDG, so I'm glad to hear there's a major update in progress. Kudos, and welcome back, Carlos.
mac_girl Wrote:Hi,
I live in CT!

Thats funny, I always thought you were Carlos' female alter ego testing the iDevgames community for their treatment of new programmers who are also women.

New Zealand seems to be a hoppin' place, its like all of a sudden everyone from that country just jumped on the internet over night and started making software.
I feel like I should know you from somewhere...
Nibbie
We're all glad to hear that you survived the journey Smile
Founder
Quote:That's a peculiar pair of countries to lump us in with ^_^
I thought so too. Grin But after LOTR, I suppose everyone wants to escape to Middle Earth.

Quote:New Zealand seems to be a hoppin' place, its like all of a sudden everyone from that country just jumped on the internet over night and started making software.
Everyone in the country use to share a DSL line that they rigged from Sydney. Rasp

Quote:I feel like I should know you from somewhere...
I am your father. Search your feelings...

Quote:Thats funny, I always thought you were Carlos' female alter ego testing the iDevgames community for their treatment of new programmers who are also women.
Lives in CT, is from Asia.. Yes, I could see that you might have thought it was me. Hopefully you all have been gentlemen to her. Smile

Quote:I've been pretty critical of the lack of stuff on iDG, so I'm glad to hear there's a major update in progress. Kudos, and welcome back, Carlos.
In truth, I came back JUST for you. Wink

Quote:So if the uDevgames site goes online July-August, the contest start is looking to be September?
Right, like we usually do. Unless I can get things done quicker. Still, having the ability to finish the contest and go right into MacWorld was always beneficial (for marketing). Richard H is gone from Apple (now at Microsoft Xbox of all places!) so it will be interesting to see the support we receive from the man who replaced him.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames