MMORPG question???

Apprentice
Okay, I'm an aspiring game designer and I really want to make a small scale game for my friends and I; for just the 12 of us. What software (or hardware) do I need to begin making a small scale (16 person) online RPG? Also, what programming language do I need to know in order to make an online RPG?

I'm going to make a 2D (paper mario-like) online RPG, btw (like Maple Story)
Quote this message in a reply
This is probably not be the type of reply you are looking for, but I'd suggest you read this...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
cloud9saul Wrote:Okay, I'm an aspiring game designer and I really want to make a small scale game for my friends and I; for just the 12 of us. What software (or hardware) do I need to begin making a small scale (16 person) online RPG? Also, what programming language do I need to know in order to make an online RPG?

I'm going to make a 2D (paper mario-like) online RPG, btw (like Maple Story)

This is like saying that you want to play in the NFL by the end of next year, and all you need to do is learn football first.

Also, there seem to be an awful lot of "aspiring game designers" out there, I wonder why that might be?

I will tell you right now, unless you have a tremendous unbending desire to create your own games, which is strong enough to carry you through all the hardships of learning, and later on development cycles, I would drop the idea right now if I were you. I promise you, game development is 1,000 harder than what you might think it is right now.

But, if you're willing to work at it, then learn to program(which can take some time), then learn to move little images across the screen, and then come back to this board and ask us about the technology, apis, etc. that one might use to program a small scale mmo.

Good luck either way.
Since the idevgames community is adamant about never even attempting anything related to MMORPG, look to the WIndows world for help.

devmaster list of MMORPG software

Keep an eye on Sun's DarkStar, probably join the forums over there, and several other MMOPRG software forums, where people actually spend time doing instead of discouraging.

If all you need is a little world for 12 people, then Torque engine should do the job nicely and the demo should get your feet wet quickly. Oh and they are already on the road to an MMORPG kit

Spend the summer researching every MMO you and your friends can play and discuss, get in over your head coding (anything and everything) and making assest, then decide if just playing as a clan in an MMO is worth more in quality time than trying to make one.

And don't let people on the internet discourage you just because they can't do what you want to do.
To explain a little of the controversy cloud, it's kind of a cliche thing for beginning programmers to want to jump in and post that they want to make the next greatest MMORPG (or the next Doom 3, etc..) when in reality it takes many years of experience and hard work to get to the level of making your own MMORPG from scratch.

This has been the cliche for so long that some people actively try to discourage people from even getting into the field of programming if they even mention wanting to work on MMORPG's some day.

This is quite unfortunate, because as idevgame3d has pointed out, there are now several options for pre-made MMORPG packages that you can customize and create your own world with. Think of them like the RPG-Maker software, but for MMORPGs (though the MMORPG software packages in general tend to be less refined than this). The level of skill required to create worlds, characters, monsters, etc.. with one of these engines is FAR less than that needed to create your own engine from scratch. Depending on how customized you want your game world to be, making your own custom MMORPG with these packages is just supplying your own artwork, characters, quests, and dialog (especially if they include sample artwork, etc.. that you can use, or a level editor). At worst, you will be editing and creating your own scripts, which are usually short and more manageable than writing C++ directly. Some of the scripts, like for dialog, often look more like html than code.

So anyway, the point is, don't be discouraged by this reaction. Things are a little different now, and making your own MMORPG is becoming easier with the use of MMORPG software packages. But even still, it will still require a lot of work, but if you're determined you can do it.

JeroMiya
Oldtimer
If this thread seems a bit odd now, it's because I removed 75% of the posts in it. Please do refrain from going inflammatory.
I don't think it would be impossible to make a 12 person or so game!

The hardest part would be getting good artwork and sounds(and music) yourself. But if you were really talented you could try and create your own images and sounds or use public domain ones or team with somebody. If you wanted a reliable server you would want to probably buy a host plan somewhere to host your server.

Other than the battle system and the game planning it wouldn't be that hard to write at all if you knew network programming ok. You mean 2D right? Maple Story isn't 3D is it? If it's just 2D I think a really dedicated person could probably do this within a half a year all by themself and maybe less time if you had the system planned out and all the images/sounds. The rest would basically like being a chatroom I think.

So i think it's possible! Just read a half a dozen C++ books or whatever language you want. It's not as hard as people would make you believe. People have been saying it's hard for years and I've read dozens of programming books now! And yeah actually making a good game IS HARD (what?!, well looks a lot harder than regular apps. anyways) but it's not impossible!

Actually there's one other part that might be hard I didn't mention it because I have almost no knowledge of it...AI/pathfinding(the monsters be smart enough to follow you and choose fighting styles etc.). But I'm sure you could learn it eventually too!

Good luck!

P.S., Besides tic-tac-toe, pong, rock-paper-scissors, I haven't really made any completed real games and I'm about to release my FIRST app within a week or so after YEARS of reading programming books...so I'm not saying I'm a game making expert or anything Rasp

And actually, if you have access to Flash maybe that would work instead of learning C++ or something harder. I've been toying with Flash lately and (that's how i made pong) if I do ever release a game it will probably not be in wx/SDL/MFC/tcl/tk but Flash! because flash is pretty easy compared to doing it all yourself Smile

edit: don't ask at gamedev. net (yes broken link on purpose Smile ) because they are rude and will try and discourage you! i quit programming for a year after being on that forum....I don't post or go there anymore. But lots of programming forums are bitter I think because they don't have time to create a MMORPG so they think "If I can't do it... nobody can!" Which is false because some people are smarter than others ^_^'
igame3d Wrote:And don't let people on the internet discourage you just because they can't do what you want to do.

Nice comment!

I wish I read that before Smile
Hmmm...

Can't we just ban the word mmorpg?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:Hmmm...

Can't we just ban the word mmorpg?

Why don't we go the other way and put the whole debate about if it can or cannot be done to bed by making it the theme for the next iDevGames contest (not a mini contest of course)? Rasp
Luminary
Bah, I think we should do it for a 24-hour mini contest LOL
Nibbie
The funny thing is: we probably should. It would be rather neat to see what people could come up with in 24 hours.
i agree. most of you guys seem to think a mmorpg is a 6gig application that can drive your car for you. my old primary school, in the mid nineties, developed an online portal for the students which gradually became a massive(taken in context of the audience) multiplayer role playing game. the code wasn't simple for the time, but now could be whipped up with mostly open source code.
Yes, please make a small mmorpg! I bet you moderators could team up and make it within a week or two! Smile
Making an MMORPG is a lot of hard work. I decided to see how far I could get making one without using a pre-made engine so as to further my 3D skills. Before I even started on this, I spent at least a year acquainting myself with various programming languages, making text games, etc. It's been a year since I started working on my MMO, and I still have next to nothing that works, although the pieces are finally starting to fall together Smile I've scrapped my self-built engines countless times and I still have very little to show for it, but I must say that it has beenn a lot of fun ^_^ I think that building a MMORPG with only one programmer is possible (although it may not be for me), and I encourage you to try...someday. Learn the basics now and move up from there; design a text game, then pong, then perhaps something more fun to play, and THEN start your MMO.
Best of luck Smile
-wyrmmage

(ok, looking over my post, it seems to be a bit self centered Sneaky Sorry, didn't mean for it to turn out that way Rasp)

Worlds at War (Current Project) - http://www.awkward-games.com/forum/