testing to see if my apps work on OS X 10.0 -> current

I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

Hi,

I want to find somebody who will test a test app for me please if you have an older version of OS X like 10.0 or 10.1 or 10.2 or 10.3.x

thanks a lot and I can make a test app and also put it in a .app and .dmg and also if you want I can test stuff for you on linux or windows

for some reason I can't post to my other account (again) =/

if you do have an older os x and will test for me let me know and I'll make a test app thanks!
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
What is your old account?

Please tell us what we're volunteering to test, and how large the download is!
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:What is your old account?

Please tell us what we're volunteering to test, and how large the download is!

Hi, my old login was mac_girl but you guys locked me out again Shock Annoyed

I can make a PPC binary(.app) that is about 3mb but I guess I could compress it in a dmg? maybe it would be smaller if I did that and stripped it too..hmm.

Would you test it? I'd like people who have mac os x 10.0 -> 10.3.8 to test it and tell me if it works because I'm trying to save up money to buy a used mac that i can test stuff myself but on ebay so far they are all about $300 and I only have about $200 so far. So it would be a real big help and I would test stuff for you too if you wanted I have a linux and windows I can test on many OSes Smile

thanks.

edit: btw I only have a PPC ibook 10.4.9 but I think I might know how to make a PPC that will work on 10.0->10.3.8 PPC but I am not 100% sure. I can make universal binaries now for 10.3.9(allegedly) ->10.4.9 PPC (confirmed) and 10.4 INTEL (allegedly) but I'm really curious about the older < 10.3.8 working.
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

Also I have a question: How hard is it to safely non destructively partition my PPC ibook and install jaguar and panther along with my existing tiger? I don't want to lose my programs and settings so I'm wary of trying it anybody here do testing that way? or do you own multiple macs for testing?

I see on version tracker some apps say they work on 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 and I want my apps to do that too.
First you can get a used mac to test for like $150. They aren't good for anything other than that. You were warned Wink

Next, if you are using Cocoa. There are many, many methods that were added that don't work on older macs.

If you are using C++/Carbon functions. Then it's what version of GCC you have and how you are linking that determines if your program is working.

I suggest you post a program on the forum and wait for feedback. Usually people that test can also tell you what options to pick on xCode to get linking correct Smile As for Cocoa you'll have to be... a little creative to get around some of the methods.

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
Luminary
neither mac_girl nor mac_girl2 is locked out, as far as I can tell.

Apple only supports building to support 10.2.8 and later. I personally don't think it's worth supporting anything earlier than 10.3.9, and even that is probably not worthwhile. The Omni Software Update Statistics show why: http://update.omnigroup.com/ ( looks like they haven't been updated since November last year :/ )

If you build the PPC side of your universal binary with GCC 3.3, against the Mac OS X 10.2.8 SDK, it should work on that and later OSes. If you don't, it most likely won't work before 10.3.9 at least.
I_cant_login_again_grr Wrote:How hard is it to safely non destructively partition my PPC ibook and install jaguar and panther along with my existing tiger?

What OS did your iBook originally came with? If Tiger, then you can't install neither Jaguar nor Panther. More info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25497
Luminary
Also, you can't *nondestructively* repartition on PowerPC Macs, I think. You can on recent Tigers on Intel Macs with GPT disks, though.
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:neither mac_girl nor mac_girl2 is locked out, as far as I can tell.

Apple only supports building to support 10.2.8 and later. I personally don't think it's worth supporting anything earlier than 10.3.9, and even that is probably not worthwhile. The Omni Software Update Statistics show why: http://update.omnigroup.com/ ( looks like they haven't been updated since November last year :/ )

If you build the PPC side of your universal binary with GCC 3.3, against the Mac OS X 10.2.8 SDK, it should work on that and later OSes. If you don't, it most likely won't work before 10.3.9 at least.

Ya, I can login but when i try and post or reply it says this:

Quote:mac_girl, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

mac_girl2 I only made the last time I got logged out of mac_girl(1) so I didn't even bother saving that password...

my gcc -v says it's 4.0.1 that is bad right? I want an older one you said gcc 3.3?
and in my SDKs folder I only have 10.3.9 and 10.4u :/ so my stuff I've been making will only run on 10.3.9+? I should get the older SDKs?
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

PowerMacX Wrote:What OS did your iBook originally came with? If Tiger, then you can't install neither Jaguar nor Panther. More info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25497

Ok ya it came with Tiger 10.4.something I've been updating it and it is now 10.4.9

ya, i read some random websites i've found saying that for some reason PPC isn't easy to do stuff like partition safely or something.

I wish i could use gparted and it would be as easy as linux >:/

I don't really want to ruin (or potentially ruin) my ibook. So that's why I'm trying to buy either a used one or save up for a mini (possibly next week!) then make my ppc ibook my 'test' mac and use the intel mini (but then I'm broke... $599 + taxes...)

I wish vmware worked ppc on ppc...I've looked at pearpc but it seems shadey/complicated and i've download mac-on-mac but i'm afraid to 'ruin' my ibook again...so back to me wanting to buy a used/new mac Mad Ninja
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

BinarySpike Wrote:First you can get a used mac to test for like $150. They aren't good for anything other than that. You were warned Wink

Next, if you are using Cocoa. There are many, many methods that were added that don't work on older macs.

If you are using C++/Carbon functions. Then it's what version of GCC you have and how you are linking that determines if your program is working.

I suggest you post a program on the forum and wait for feedback. Usually people that test can also tell you what options to pick on xCode to get linking correct Smile As for Cocoa you'll have to be... a little creative to get around some of the methods.

where for $150? please tell me =) i've been searching ebay and amazon and the bids start at around there but end at $300+ and shipping...I've been looking for emacs, ibooks g3/g4, or anything that looked like it could run 10.3 and now i'm seriously considering buying a new intel mini from the mall's apple store...but then I'd have no money..so I'm not sure yet. But i'd love to be able to test for $150-$200

I use c++/wxWidgets. and don't use xcode for this at all. I did play with xcode with SDL but not for my wx projects.

I have an app called Comical i found on versiontracker and it says it runs on 10.0 -> 10.4.9 and it's written using wx...says so in its homepage at sourceforge and I quickly opened the binary in a hex editor and saw the wx function names Rasp

So I know it's possible that wx can run on 10.0->10.4 and even 9 but i dont care about classic 9 :/
Luminary
The 10.2.8 SDK comes with Xcode, but it's not installed by default; you need to click the "customize" button during the install.

GCC 4.0.1 likes to link against stuff not present in 10.3.8 and earlier. It's not *impossible* to convince it to build stuff that works on those OSes, but using GCC 3.3 is by far the easier route. GCC 3.3 may or may not have been installed with Xcode (it's called gcc-3.3 if it was), otherwise you'll have to install it the same way you install the 10.2.8 SDK.

Apple's GCC 3.3 only builds PowerPC binaries, so you'd be using GCC 3.3 to build the PowerPC side, and GCC 4.0.1 to build the Intel side of your universal binaries.

Incidentally, you *can* use gparted, it just doesn't know how to resize HFS+ partitions Rasp
I_cant_login_again_grr Wrote:where for $150? please tell me =) i've been searching ebay and amazon and the bids start at around there but end at $300+ and shipping...I've been looking for emacs, ibooks g3/g4, or anything that looked like it could run 10.3 and now i'm seriously considering buying a new intel mini from the mall's apple store...but then I'd have no money..so I'm not sure yet. But i'd love to be able to test for $150-$200

I use c++/wxWidgets. and don't use xcode for this at all. I did play with xcode with SDL but not for my wx projects.

I have an app called Comical i found on versiontracker and it says it runs on 10.0 -> 10.4.9 and it's written using wx...says so in its homepage at sourceforge and I quickly opened the binary in a hex editor and saw the wx function names Rasp

So I know it's possible that wx can run on 10.0->10.4 and even 9 but i dont care about classic 9 :/

http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10002

I know I'm gonna get an earful about G3, but you can test on any of those systems. The harddrive is limited though and you might not get the latest OS Wacko (megamac's is usually good, we got three G4's with panther on it)

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

BinarySpike Wrote:http://www.megamacs.com/v1/index.php?cat=10002

I know I'm gonna get an earful about G3, but you can test on any of those systems. The harddrive is limited though and you might not get the latest OS Wacko (megamac's is usually good, we got three G4's with panther on it)

Thanks a lot!

If I buy the 'PowerMac G3 Blue & White 350 Mhz' could I use a regular monitor that I use for linux/bsd/msw? or do old macs need mac specific monitors?
I_cant_login_again_grr
Unregistered

OneSadCookie Wrote:The 10.2.8 SDK comes with Xcode, but it's not installed by default; you need to click the "customize" button during the install.

GCC 4.0.1 likes to link against stuff not present in 10.3.8 and earlier. It's not *impossible* to convince it to build stuff that works on those OSes, but using GCC 3.3 is by far the easier route. GCC 3.3 may or may not have been installed with Xcode (it's called gcc-3.3 if it was), otherwise you'll have to install it the same way you install the 10.2.8 SDK.

Apple's GCC 3.3 only builds PowerPC binaries, so you'd be using GCC 3.3 to build the PowerPC side, and GCC 4.0.1 to build the Intel side of your universal binaries.

Incidentally, you *can* use gparted, it just doesn't know how to resize HFS+ partitions Rasp

wow, I didn't even know I had a gcc-3.3. Thanks! I guess I should drag the 10.2.8 SDK off my install disc?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Development on current/next gen game consoles Carlos Camacho 9 5,187 Jul 19, 2006 11:31 PM
Last Post: sealfin