Looking for a compilable scripting language

I'm working on a project and I had been experimenting earlier with python binding and such. Problem is, I hate python syntax, I want something more C++ or PHP oriented "syntax wise".

But I also need to, "hide" it, aka compile it. Or encrypt it. I would rather compile it. Anybody know such a language?

I wanted to run it as the "mission control" in my game, for unlimited mission styles.

Basically when the script tells my program Completed(true) or Completed(false) the game will stop and put up the statistics screen, and based on what's registered through the map it will assign a medal.

I want this to run slower computers.

I've checked ruby out, but the syntax is a little strange for me.
(I once learned VB on my mac to help a friend with a programming problem for school... I get really irritated when I have to learn a new syntax...)

Thanks,
BinarySpike!

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
Quote this message in a reply
Check out Mono. Lots of languages to choose from, really fast, easy to integrate, and you distribute the bytecode which is about as good as you're going to get with a "scripting language." Only con I know of is that it's just really heavyweight for smaller games.

-Jon
Luminary
Java would work similarly (the framework comes with Mac OS X, so less to install too). Lua can also be compiled to bytecode.

Incidentally, Ruby can't be, so it wouldn't work for you.

Seriously though, just get over your inhibitions about syntax. Python's a good language, it's included with Mac OS X, it does exactly what you want.
Sage
You might have luck embedding perl, gforth or guile.

OneSadCookie Wrote:Python's a good language, it's included with Mac OS X, it does exactly what you want.

I wouldnt go as far as saying that python is a good language, but its certainly not the worst. Theres definitly a lot of bad syntax and language decisions that get in the way of programming.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
OneSadCookie:
I learned 8 scripting language in one year, 3 of which aren't portable to the newer computers. Talk about getting burned out...

I looked at Lua, I'm not a stickler for speed but it needs to support slower computers as well. I'm going to pick Lua over Python if I have to make that choice.

Java is to much of what I want. I want users to be able to script their own missions or play the campian which is compiled (that way they can't change things or read ahead in the story line)

My current format was ok but I figured it was gonna take a while to implement all the features I wanted.

aarku:
Mono? (did a few google searches, a halflife mailing list is the only thing I got)
I'm not going to have any real high res textures or audio. If it's fast I might trade size for speed.

Unknown:
Perl was my second choice, but I don't know how easy it would be to implement.

I work from an SVN repository. I just commit updates from whatever computer I'm on and then when I change computers I just update.

So I work from this off mac, windows, and soon to be linux. I like cross-platform stuff, and I like borland C++ compiler... it's soooo much faster than GCC Wacko

Luminary
I didn't understand half of what you said, but anyway:

8 in a year? what did you do the other 48 weeks?

Lua is faster than python.

http://go-mono.com/ (it's a cross-platform implementation of MS's .NET)

None of the languages we've mentioned are not cross-platform; all will work just fine on those three platforms.
Sage
OneSadCookie Wrote:8 in a year? what did you do the other 48 weeks?

http://norvig.com/21-days.html

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Luminary
Yes, it takes a long time to learn how to program. I know I'm still learning, and I guess I officially started about 16 years ago. It doesn't take that long to learn yet-another-imperative-language. If it's an odd language, there'll be a couple of concepts you've not seen before. If it's a fairly normal one, all you'll need to learn is the syntax.

I don't really understand the page you link. It's talking about learning to program, including advocating learning a whole host of programming languages, then dissing books that teach *languages* quickly...

Heck, if you start with a couple of suitably weird languages (maybe Ruby and Dylan) then almost every language will be downhill from there; all you'll find is missing features in the other languages Smile
OneSadCookie Wrote:8 in a year? what did you do the other 48 weeks?

Two of the languages were AI languages (robowar and a genetics game) the robowar was based on the T-calculator languages, so that is useful if I had a $50+ calculator Wink

Quote:Lua is faster than python.

Then that settles it, I'm going to use Lua.

Quote:None of the languages we've mentioned are not cross-platform; all will work just fine on those three platforms.

I understand that, It was just a requirement.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Suggested Scripting Language Talyn 11 5,263 Dec 31, 2008 03:26 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Scripting Language Woes (Lua) Bachus 2 3,735 Oct 14, 2008 09:48 AM
Last Post: Blacktiger
  Scripting Language: Rolling Your Own Emehr 14 5,560 Feb 10, 2007 08:14 AM
Last Post: IBethune
  Scripting language recommendation? WhatMeWorry 6 3,417 Nov 11, 2006 10:09 AM
Last Post: Duane