Switch over the forum to myBB?

Founder
Hello all, hope everyone is well. I've been pondering dropping vBulletin, the forum iDevGames and iDevApps uses since they released 4.0. iDevGames is on an old version (3.68) which is begging to be hacked. In the past, I've always kept us up to date so that we wouldn't get hacked (not to mention to gain xyz feature.) But the developers of vBulletin have taken the program in a direction I'm not so keen in. That is, they are moving towards a more CMS type of product, which we don't need, and I feel is getting rather bloated. At around $200, the upgrade gives me pause. I think the majority here is focused on a forum that works, is visited by decent peers, and is stable. So, I am thinking of forgoing the upgrade cost and moving us to myBB. MyBB is an open source forum software app. It is like PhpBBS, but with a smaller community. That is a plus as hackers tend to focus a lot of their energy on PhpBBS, which I wouldn't ever run. There are a good many choices for forums, and I have experience with MyBB. It works, has enough features and gets regular updates. More importantly, they have a migration script that should help us retain everyone's account and posts, which I think is vital.

I have also come across the same theme that we currently use, so I imagine that most users wouldn't feel too much of a difference. I've stayed with vBulletin in the past as I have always felt it scaled well for large active forums. But I am wondering if it is time to stop putting more money into it, since I am pretty happy with using WordPress for our CMS needs.

Well, if anyone has any comments feel free to post.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
Sounds reasonable to me.
Luminary
Oh good, the forums can be down for another six months.
That sounds fair enough to me.
Founder
>Oh good, the forums can be down for another six months.
No, I would lock the posting, so new ones couldn't be added, but keep the forum visible and searchable. Do the migration. Make sure new forum is running and then switch over.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Luminary
Yeah, 'cos you've been real great about ensuring the site's stability during past migrations. We can clearly trust you implicitly.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Yeah, 'cos you've been real great about ensuring the site's stability during past migrations. We can clearly trust you implicitly.

Now now, no need to be grumpy. Sure, there has been issues, which is a good and valid point and something to consider before going through with something like this, but there's no need to be rude.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
OneSadCookie Wrote:Yeah, 'cos you've been real great about ensuring the site's stability during past migrations. We can clearly trust you implicitly.

Perhaps you could do it for him?
Luminary
Sure, or any number of people here who have more experience with such things than I do could. When was the last time he accepted outside assistance, though?
Waiting until we get hacked is not an option, and will surely cost us more downtime than a migration. Seems like the prudent procedure would be to try the migration (non-destructively.) If it doesn't work we still have the option of paying the $200.

OneSadCookie Wrote:Sure, or any number of people here who have more experience with such things than I do could. When was the last time he accepted outside assistance, though?

True, but Carlos has operated the same way for many years. Why does it eat at you so?

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Luminary
It eats at me because over the last ten years I've put a heck of a lot of myself into these forums, and every time Carlos pulls them offline for six months without apparent care, or deletes old threads which still contain valuable questions and answers, it's not only his hard work he destroys, it's mine (and others'!) too.

Taking donations to have the old content edited and other useless ventures and then never posting the results of the old money spent just adds insult to injury.

I'm immensely grateful to Carlos for setting up iDevGames in the first place, and the last few years have been relatively smooth running compared to the disasters of 2004ish (?), but I don't think that anyone could claim that the site has been competently administered, or that the money the users have donated has been well spent, and that eats at me because I care that those things should be the case.
Founder
Please stay focused on the original question.

Matt, your reply is helpful. I can try a migration, if it works, great, we save money. If it doesn't, then we still have old data (current data).

BTW, we've been pretty stable for a good amount of time now. We go down from time to time, but its mainly from overtaxing our cheap plan. My intention remains to keep the sites running stable.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Works for me. There are some extant captcha hacks for phpBB 3.0, so it doesn't make much sense to use it.

(lol, should use the iPhone theme. just kidding! Existing purple theme is fine)

Everyone's favourite forum lurker!
https://github.com/NSError
OSD, just wanted to acknowledge your last reply. I think it got your point of view across better than the earlier posts.

Back to the topic at hand...

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
⌘-R in Chief
What makes anyone think MyBB is any more secure than phpBB or others?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PSA: Java exploit on an iOS dev forum PowerMacX 3 2,205 Feb 24, 2013 10:11 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  Forum Font Size AnotherJake 10 15,573 Dec 23, 2010 08:10 AM
Last Post: gnurf
  Forum downtime 2/25-26 Carlos Camacho 4 5,137 Feb 27, 2010 10:56 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Forum Updates Carlos Camacho 4 5,318 Oct 11, 2009 11:20 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  Forum Feed Carlos Camacho 2 3,467 Jun 9, 2009 06:37 PM