Switch over the forum to myBB?

⌘-R in Chief
Searching actually works, so that's a massive improvement. The theme has a few misaligned images but is otherwise fine. For some reason, the purple Element theme I found for MyBB was listed as being made explicitly for RTL languages like Arabic and Hebrew. Is that the same version or are there separate ones for each language? Actually it seems the same thing with the one you have installed. Some of the buttons are in Arabic... [Image: postbit_find.gif]

Overall I think MyBB is fine. I've played with it and I think it's ok. I don't see anything wrong with it.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
My account doesn't work (password not accepted, not clear why). Do I have to go through a password reset?
I can't log in either, but I know it's just a test so no big deal.

Looks pretty good. Nice that the color is somewhat the same. I see a few weird characters here and there -- like freak mentioned the Arabic button thing.

Definitely would like to see the squarelies in the new environment.
Yeah, I had to go through the password reset. This is actually encouraging: this means that the password is likely stored as a hash instead of as plain text on this forum. Hopefully MyBB does the same thing, since it means that if the database is compromised our passwords aren't compromised as well. Judging from the fact that the password reset tool sends you a random new password, it's likely they are smart about it as well.
Ah yes, the password reset worked. Good scouting report akb825! Smile
Other than the issues with the theme that have already been mentioned (votesForSquarlies++) I think myBB seems quite good and works pretty well.
The searches can take a while, but they do search the complete database rather than just the last few weeks, so that is a big improvement really. Grin
Founder
Quote:Searching actually works, so that's a massive improvement.
Cool!

Quote:Element theme I found for MyBB was listed as being made explicitly for RTL languages like Arabic and Hebrew. Is that the same version or are there separate ones for each language?
Everything was right aligned. I fixed that. All the images are an arabic and I copied what I could from our current theme so you guys could feel a little more at home. I can't say we will 100% the Element theme.

Quote:Overall I think MyBB is fine. I've played with it and I think it's ok. I don't see anything wrong with it
Good to hear. The admin section is pretty good, so from that point, I am happy.

Quote: Do I have to go through a password reset?
Not sure. Give it a go.

Quote:Hopefully MyBB does the same thing, since it means that if the database is compromised our passwords aren't compromised as well
I would assume that vBulletin (current forum) doesn't store passwords at plain text either. Never looked at it. MOost modern web apps though wouldn't store them as plain text me thinks.

Quote:Ah yes, the password reset worked. Good scouting report akb825!
Good to know. Anything else missing or buggy?

Quote:The searches can take a while, but they do search the complete database rather than just the last few weeks, so that is a big improvement really
I am interested to see the size of both databases. I will look at that tomorrow. You said the search is slower. How about posting, and other actions? No good to move to something if it ends up taking 10x the amount of time.

Keep up the testing everyone. Thanks!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Founder
Oh, if anyone wants to locate a good looking theme, I'm open to suggestions.
http://mods.mybboard.net/themes

Or if you find any plugin that would enhance the forum.
http://mods.mybboard.net/mods

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I poked at it for all of 5 minutes, but I had posts going back to late 2002, my profile looked ok, search was good.

I did notice that Member List appears to be ordered by internal ID rather than alphabetically, and it doesn't summarize as much information (e.g. contact methods, homepage) though you can drill down for that obviously.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
I just tried out the search feature, since that was one of my (and everybody's) peeves for this forum, and it seems to be quite a bit better. But please, please don't add a delay between searches. Even though searching was broken on its own for this forum, the worst part was waiting if you made a mistake or wanted to refine your search.

I noticed that by default it subscribes you to a thread when you reply. I was able to change my default in the UserCP, but I wonder if it would be possible to make the default settings for users to not subscribe, otherwise a lot of emails are going to go out, choking both your server and people's inboxes.

I noticed that they have some syntax highlighting for php. I wonder if it would be possible to add highlighting support for some of the most common languages people use here.

Edit: I took a look through the mod list, and it looks like these ones will be useful:
This one will change the default user profile - to fix the subscribing by default issue
A syntax highlighting plugin - This seems to be the only one on their list that supports arbitrary languages.

Edit2: I looked through the themes, and this one appears to be similar to our current theme. (http://mods.mybboard.net/view/myvb-serenity)
akb825 Wrote:I noticed that by default it subscribes you to a thread when you reply.
I didn't notice that until I got an email... While I was working out how to turn that off, I noticed it is also set to display your age and date of birth by default. I'd suggest that might be a bit unpopular (except with identity thieves).

Carlos Wrote:You said the search is slower. How about posting, and other actions?
The speed of posting and editing posts is fine. I'd guess it just takes a while to search 8 years of posts - I can't see any info on how the search works on the myBB website.

Carlos Wrote:Oh, if anyone wants to locate a good looking theme, I'm open to suggestions.
I've had a look through the first 10 pages or so. BlueRise looks sort of familiar. Artistic Freedom is also quite nice, although it might need a little customisation.
I'm a new user.

I tried to login, failed with three attempts, then reset my password, and now I have to wait for 15 minutes to login again because of the protection.

I don't know about the new forums, but I can't help but feel that my account is messed up here (and if it's messed up here, there's a chance it's going to be messed up on the other forums too).

1) I can't view anyone's public profile, and also thus not allowed to private message anyone.
2) It seems like all of my posts have to be approved, and thus take forever to actually get submitted.
3) These forums and the new forums have a bug that won't allow me to create a sane 4-letter username, or else I wouldn't be sticking with this username.
⌘-R in Chief
40 seconds searching for "Cocoa"
4 seconds searching for "GetKeys"
5 seconds searching for "particle system"

40 is a bit long, but reasonable given that returned 56 pages of results. The second search was nearly instant, so clearly it caches searches, but based on the table structure, it seems that they may only be cached for each user. Someone else try searching for Cocoa.
Searching Cocoa was nearly instant for me, so it probably caches the results globally.

zgcoder: I believe that PMs are disabled on these forums, but I'm not sure if Carlos will enable or disable them on the new ones. Your posts only have to be approved for your first few posts, after which you don't have to go through any approval process. This is mainly to prevent accounts set up only to spread spam. It's also possible that other things (such as not being able to view public profiles) are disabled until the approval period is finished.
Yeah, you're probably right about public profiles being disabled until the approval period is finished. I tried making (and deleting) a post on the new forums test and it seems to work for me so far.

I still think the approval thing is completely screwed up over here. This is my 6th post (my post count somehow messed up or I posted somewhere where post count didn't change). Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the 2nd post, I shouldn't need any approvals. (By the way, people are having issues with approving my posts in general, so I suppose that is a problem in itself).

I still want my sane 4-letter long username Sad.

--

I just searched for "cocoa" as a guest. It took at least 15 seconds over here the first time. Searching for it again seems to be pretty quick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  PSA: Java exploit on an iOS dev forum PowerMacX 3 1,693 Feb 24, 2013 10:11 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  Forum Font Size AnotherJake 10 14,806 Dec 23, 2010 08:10 AM
Last Post: gnurf
  Can't find "new posts" feature in new forum software. I am about to start a riot. stevejohnson 10 8,719 Jul 30, 2010 07:46 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Forum downtime 2/25-26 Carlos Camacho 4 4,761 Feb 27, 2010 10:56 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Forum Updates Carlos Camacho 4 4,933 Oct 11, 2009 11:20 PM
Last Post: AnotherJake