Shmup/shoot 'em up mini contest (was: Upcoming contests...?)

Presenting the utterly unofficial iDG shoot 'em up/shmup mini contest

What: a mini contest themed around that staple of gaming: shooting. Pretty much any game within which shooting is a core gameplay element is permissible, whether it is limited to a single screen, scrolling, 2D, 3D, etc; the only real requirements are that the player character be capable of shooting and of movement (or you could claim Snood is a shooter...)

Look at Robotron, Defender, Nemesis/Gradius, Metal Slug, or many, many others for inspiration and an idea of the many, many sub-genres and styles of the shmup.

When: the contest will last a week, from 23:59 (GMT) Friday 23rd March to 23:59 (GMT) Friday 30th March.

Why: for fun; this is a mini contest, and as such there are no prizes.

How: to enter, just post to this thread a link to your playable. Your playable should not have been publicly shown before the beginning of the contest. There is no limit to the tools which may be used, as long as the playable runs on Mac OS X 10.3.9 or higher. There is no requirement to release the source code to your playable. Voting will be by means of a multiple choice poll which will be created in this thread after the close of the contest.

Original post: I know that the possibility of there being an OMG'07 has been mooted before, but I'm just wondering if anybody knows any firm-ish details about any upcoming contests? If not (and I'm presuming that is probably the case what with Carlos' relatively recent move), would anybody be up for a mini contest? If so, would anybody be willing to suggest a <subliminal>shmupshmupshmup</subliminal> theme? Rasp

Mark Bishop
Quote this message in a reply
Seeing as I'm good at reading between the lines I propose:
BEST JUDAS PRIEST SONG THEMED WORK SEARCH!

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
sealfin Wrote:If so, would anybody be willing to suggest a <subliminal>shmupshmupshmup</subliminal> theme? Rasp

And for the older members amongst us, how about a Shoot'em Up?
Nibbie
I vote shmup as well Smile
I'll toss my pebble in the shmup bucket too.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
Despite being a newbie here, i'll enter a shmup contest...

Tobs
Okay, as there seems to be some interest, what kind of timescale would be best? A week, Friday 23rd - Friday 30th?

Mark Bishop
Sage
I would try to enter it.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Would there be any restrictions on this contest or can we all launch the Unity's we got from the last contest and completely crush the spirit of any other entrants?
Sage
um no.. you cant crush the spirit of anyone else (and unity doesnt give you any advantage in doing that), but Im sure no one would mind you using unity.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Q: "Andrew, What is best in life?"
A: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women."

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
I was working on a 2D game creation thingamajig before my MacBook HD completly died, I would've loved to do a shmup to this contest with it. But I still vote for shmup, since I'm a sucker for them (altought I don't think I will be able to enter this contest, too much work I need to redo)

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
ERaZer Wrote:(altought I don't think I will be able to enter this contest, too much work I need to redo)

You should join forces with me, Master of Mini-Contests. I don't have as much time as I'd like either, which basically means I only have time for coding and <pick one: music, levels, graphics>.

(Anyone else feel like being in Stephen's Alliance of Hoopy Froods? BlitzMax as usual.)

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
I'd jump in on a contest like this.

So, does this make Sealfin the organizer of such an event?
I tried to express my interest earlier but my post seems to have got lost. It might be an omen, but I may be able to pull something together, depending on the timing (and inspiration).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  toucharcade alternatives for Japan/China/Russia contests? mixedup 0 332 Dec 13, 2013 04:41 PM
Last Post: mixedup
  Mini fun Contest EvolPenguin 2 4,863 Nov 14, 2010 11:10 AM
Last Post: EvolPenguin
  WebGL Mini-Contest OneSadCookie 26 19,443 Dec 14, 2009 11:40 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Mini-contest: Time &amp; Space Manipulation OneSadCookie 18 13,747 Nov 8, 2009 02:38 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  21 Day Mini Contest FlamingHairball 2 6,454 Aug 1, 2009 03:03 PM
Last Post: FlamingHairball